Hacking Pokemon Soul Silver, DSL, and ??? cart

silmedriel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize you are probably all sick of threads like this one, but I have been reading about this for hours and everywhere I go has conflicting advice and it seems like everything is about two years out of date.

I just bought a DS Lite and a retail Pokemon Soul Silver cartridge. I want to be able to back up, edit, and restore saves to the game. Is this possible? Can anyone tell me what flash cart I should buy (and where??)? Again, I am sorry to rehash this same problem but I am totally confused and overwhelmed.

I think a flash cart is what I need purely because the only place I can find a NDS Backup Adapter Plus is a sketchy website for >$30 (which is more than I really want to spend at a sketchy site).

Thank you so much for any clarity you can offer!

silmedriel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply! I did see that HG/SS make this more complicated. Am I correct to think that I need a slot 2 flash cart for this?

Would that be like an EZ4 or 3-in1? Or is an R4 the way to go? This is where I run into a ton of confusion and conflicting information... Are any of these flashcarts even available anymore? Do I need to avoid the ones that say they work with DSi and 3DS because those would be slot 1 cards?

Again, thank you for your response, that link will be very handy once I get a cart.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
R4s are slot-1 carts, along with anything that works on the DSi and 3DS... but you can use them. You can't do this on a DSi or 3DS because it's the DSi and 3DS themselves that stop cart-swapping. A DSi or 3DS-compatible flash cart played in a normal DS/Lite will work, because the original DS/Lite do allow cart swapping. In fact this specific tool was made for slot-1 carts on the DS/Lite from what I'm reading.

Having a slot-2 (GBA-slot) cart is useful, but nowadays it's usually used as a secondary to a slot-1, meaning you'd need to have both to use slot-2 stuff.

As far as picking a slot-1 flash cart, any of these should work with that tool (and for DS games in general).
http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/

silmedriel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhh! Thank you so much for explaining. I had read that slot 2 cards, I don't know, required a slot one for booting or something... I was very confused. I did not realize that the cart did not need to be in at the same time as the game cartridge to work - hence thinking I would need a slot 2 cart. Sorry I got so lost with this, it is very new to me. Thank you VERY much for taking the time to explain it so thoroughly! I feel much better prepared to choose a flash cart now :)

Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)