Gaming Pokemon R/B/Y VC Trading & Multiplayer Battle!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I had thought about making a write-up like that myself, but you beat me to it. Thanks for helping inform people.

It would be cool if Pokebank could allow transferring pokemon caught in these games into our gen 6 games. The old gen 2 barrier would finally fall away. But that's unlikely. I don't see it happening. :(

That'd be nice, there's even a hacky way to do it on PCs that involves save editors and rough conversions, so it's certainly not impossible, but the stats are different between gen 1 and 2-6 (DVs turned into IVs, which split Special into SpA and SpD and EVs stayed the same I think), so it'd be a bit of work to re-balance them fairly.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
We have to do fancy conversions manually transferring the pokemon over through PC because we're dealing with the raw data that stores the pokemon's data. As far as Pokebank is concerned, it will simply read what pokemon species it is, the moves it has, EVs it had (assuming EVs were handled the same way) etc, and recreate the pokemon to gen 6 standards. Because GameFreak will have better control over what's going on, it will be easier for them because they got all the source code to their games to look at while we are stuck disassembling roms trying to figure out how to correctly convert gen 1/2 pokemon over to gen 3/4/5/6. :P

Note that PokeBank probably isn't actually directly moving data from previous games into the gen 6 games. It probably rebuilds a new pokemon file and saves that to the gen 6 games while the pokemon data from the previous generation is deleted.

So under the hood, your pokemon actually die when you transfer them with PokeTransporter. The ones you transferred from gen 5 through PokeTransporter are all most likely imposters pretending to be the pokemon you grew up with in the previous gen games you caught them in.

Though with gen 6 to gen 6 trades the pokemon data is directly copied unaltered for the most part to the new game. The actual data of your original pokemon isn't "moved" though. It's copied and the original is deleted when the trade is confirmed to be complete. Only difference is the imposters your friend received (or the imposters you received from your friend instead) are just slightly better imposters then the ones you got from Poketransporter. :P

There. I crushed your child hood. Mwuahahaa! :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1