ROM Hack Pokemon Clear Crystal

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Black-Ice: The boxart looks great, my opinion would be to use Suicune just to follow tradition.

I guess Strife is learning about the limits of roms as I stated before. I would say this contact the person who hacked said rom that you mentioned in your post above, ask questions, gain knowledge if you can from him. Remember the worst that can happen is that the person blows you off, at least you gave it a shot. By the way I'm happy for your progress mentioned on past pages (end of 4 start of 5). Screenshots would get more interested.

That sucks, but now this gives you more space to come up with new ideas, I'm sure you'll think of something. Or make your own Fakemons.

Reactions: 1 person

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
@EMP Knightmare: I was thinking of that right after my attempt to add victini failed, thanks for reminding me. And I still don't understand this "limit" you speak of. maybe a certain file is limiting what I can add? maybe if I can stretch that files data so I can add some more...or maybe delete it all together (although I doubt that would work) all I need to do is find that file.

and by the way, I can't even dream of making fakemons as good as those. they're pure genius! very depressing that I can't use those fakemons, but nagging the owner will hardly get me anywhere. I'd better get my information from that dude who made the hard gold hack...I just hope this one tells me something and actually left a way to contact him, I don't wanna have to sign up for arkeis.com :(

Oh, just greaaaat. He left no way to contact him other than his user name on arkeis.com.......and whats more, he's the web master of the site X_X (im guessing that means he owns the site) which makes it even harder to contact him, since I bet he already has his hands full...

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
I guess Strife is learning about the limits of roms as I stated before. I would say this contact the person who hacked said rom that you mentioned in your post above, ask questions, gain knowledge if you can from him. Remember the worst that can happen is that the person blows you off, at least you gave it a shot. By the way I'm happy for your progress mentioned on past pages (end of 4 start of 5). Screenshots would get more interested.

Here, I discovered how to make screenshots on desmume:
Check it out, my victini data'd chikorita:
http://gbatemp.net/gallery/image/1422-4749-pokemon-soulsilver-ufreeze-patched-09-2164png/

^lol
I totally freaked up the data on the arceus beside it (that I generated with pokegen) and made it have -147 exp. wth?! I think it's because base exp data changed...
Sadly, I saved after I leveled it up. It was hilarious! the exp bar went to the left and and he leveled up! freaky right? :P

Even more sadly, I can't hack arceus's type since I don't know how to change ability data. I changed every byte in pokemon data but chikorita's data wouldn't change. Arceus's ability multitype makes it immune to type hacking. I need to break its shield (I mean its ability) to attack its type...

anyways, heres my freaky bulbasaur. very scary.
http://gbatemp.net/gallery/image/1423-cute-toughpng/
^ROFL

and finally, here's my flying venusaur, which proves being able to make one type alone by making both types the same value.
http://gbatemp.net/gallery/image/1424-flying-venusaurpng/
^ROFLMAO

EMP Knightmare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here's what I mean by limits, roms can only include what it's programed to include. Now this data can be overwritten yes, but never expanded, altered but only by information of the same size. This is why you need to understand what you're up against. Here's my suggestion.

Speaking logically the rom you should be hacking is B&W, it has more data for you to play around with, remove, add, alter etc etc. As for Clear Crystal of course not taking place in the same region as B&W, if you're altering pokemon, trainers, town layouts, etc etc. recreating these town to replace others should be a part of this project. So basically you'd be recreating the HG/SS/CC game just using the B&W as your base, more of a foundation if you will.

Now if this idea sounds a bit difficult I understand, but it's what rom hacking is all about. Getting over limits finding a way around it and continue onward. I myself (stated before) despise limitations, I like my ideas to flow freely (with enough space to do so) hence I went from rom hacking to game creating. You stated before that you knew nothing of how to create a game from scratch, funny how not to long ago you had no idea how to hack a rom ;)

Oh by the way your screenshots aren't showing

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Ok here's what I mean by limits, roms can only include what it's programed to include. Now this data can be overwritten yes, but never expanded, altered but only by information of the same size. This is why you need to understand what you're up against. Here's my suggestion.

Speaking logically the rom you should be hacking is B&W, it has more data for you to play around with, remove, add, alter etc etc. As for Clear Crystal of course not taking place in the same region as B&W, if you're altering pokemon, trainers, town layouts, etc etc. recreating these town to replace others should be a part of this project. So basically you'd be recreating the HG/SS/CC game just using the B&W as your base, more of a foundation if you will.

Now if this idea sounds a bit difficult I understand, but it's what rom hacking is all about. Getting over limits finding a way around it and continue onward. I myself (stated before) despise limitations, I like my ideas to flow freely (with enough space to do so) hence I went from rom hacking to game creating. You stated before that you knew nothing of how to create a game from scratch, funny how not to long ago you had no idea how to hack a rom ;)

Oh by the way your screenshots aren't showing

First of all, I knew my screenshots wouldn't appear if I copy/pasted image from one place to another, and I tried using the image feature, but the most reliable feature that will always work is the link feature. My screenshots didn't come because I wrote links to the pictures, and didn't just copy/paste image.

Secondly, I'm pretty happy that I made all of this progress too, but I don't think you understand why I don't simply just hack B/W. The thing that got me hacking was the fact that no one had thought of the idea to make Unova pokemon in HG/SS. I looked everywhere, but the only thing I could find was "Hard Gold" which was the hack of HG/SS which had Zekrom and Reshiram. Too many hacks of B/W are already there, so why should I hack it some more? So far the best hack of B/W I've found was Blaze Black and Volt White. So I thought of hacking HG/SS, thinking it would be easy, I thought there would be tools, like text editor, wild pokemon editor, move editor, trainers' pokemon editor, etc...

Boy was I wrong. All there is is a Hex editor, which at first just looked like numbers scribbled everywhere, but now, I totally

Prof. 9

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok here's what I mean by limits, roms can only include what it's programed to include. Now this data can be overwritten yes, but never expanded, altered but only by information of the same size.
Unless you change said programming which is an integral part of ROM hacking.

Adding some new Pokémon that all use the same data structures

versus

Converting maps, 3D objects, NPCs, scripts, battles, text, etc.

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
VICTORY! II did it! I deleted this so called back up data for chikorita and added the data for Victini, and it worked! My chikorita was not mutated in the progress! So all I have to do Is delete the back-up data for every single pokemon, and that should definitely give me a lot of space for adding pokemon data! Woohoo! It's not over yet! I can still do it! I can make the ultimate hack!

@EMP Knightmare: No offense, I never thought I'd say this but Prof. 9 has a point. Hacking B/W would be a pain, but still, Hacking HG/SS and adding all those pokemon might be impossible. Or should I say, Might HAVE been impossible! With this latest discovery, and the extra space of 21692 bytes, I'm sure I'll be able to add Unova pokemons! Yippee!!!!

@Prof. 9: What do you mean "Change Programming"? And could you tell me where to do that so I can do it if I run out of space?

EMP Knightmare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noticed I use the word "suggestion" only for the fact that more data would be at your disposal. Now if Prof. 9 wants to get into how to change program information to expand the rom then by all means go right ahead.

From experience I felt you would have learned a lot by following said suggestion that was all, being as more people have worked with it to begin with. If you feel otherwise (which clearly you do) then by all means have at it, after all it is your project.

@Prof. 9: You do know now after that quote he will ask you to no end about that, just getting you ready for it. No offense to the project leader but his rom hacking experience is all but slim, throwing him a curve like that will only entice him.

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
@EMP Knightmare: Sorry I didn't read carefully, didn't see the word "suggestion" :(

I understand that I could gain some experience by working on B/W first, but I've gotten so far with HG/SS already, and editing the map for B/W and somehow making pokemons follow you which I think is impossible still won't have 16 Gym Leaders, although I'm not saying there's anything wrong with B/W, It's just that I'd rather hack HG/SS. Thank you for your suggestion though :P

I'm not sure if "all but slim" is good or bad, but no matter what I know I'm a total noob, but still, I'm a noob on the rise! :)

And I'm not the kind of guy to nag 24/7....I'm the kind of guy that nags 23/7, I need at least 1 hour for sleep lol

In a more important subject, I'd like to say that the number of sprites to be made in the sprite making job has reduced drastically; Due to the loss of our beloved Fakemons, and because I was able to get some OW Unova sprite (My deviantART account I made before came in handy, I messaged the dude that owns the sprites, hopefully he won't reject my permission request like the owner of the Fakemons did) And I was also able to get my hands on all battle sprites for Unova pokemon (Both shiny and non-shiny front and back sprites), and since I doubt HG/SS will allow animation, I'm treating my current sprites as First Frame Battle sprites, so the job is still open, just a lot easier, all I need now is Second Frame Battle Sprites for both front and back, shiny and Non-shiny pokemon. that sums up to...624 pokemon sprites (don't let the number intimidate you) It's gonna be a lot easier since all you have to do is Photoshop my current sprites and make a second frame. you can do that by moving their arms, legs, poses, anything as long as it looks cool and real. Isn't anyone interested? the only person that's working with me is Black-Ice so far (tyvm dude) the job list is gonna be posted bellow this, to apply to a job and join the Clear Crystal Team, just pm me :)

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
1-The job for being a very creative Story Maker and telling me how to edit text:
I need to know how to edit text (I need that to fiddle with the story)...Also, all of you creative thinkers who have bright story ideas, you are very welcome to help make the story. I'm not too good with stories anyways...
2-The job of telling me how to edit wild pokemon, trainer owned pokemon and Gym leader pokemon:
I badly need to know how to edit the pokemon that trainers control, and how to edit wild pokemon and there ratio of them appearing.I would usually just edit the pokemon Gym Leaders control using that tool they made, but seeing as I'm gonna add data for Unova pokemon, the Gym Leaders are probably gonna control some of them, so tools won't really help.
3-The job of telling me how to make TMs appear at marts after use and how to make a pokemon able to appear after beating a certain person:
I'm not sure it's possible, but if it is, I wanna know how to control when you can find a pokemon in a certain area. otherwise, I won't be able to make the "Legendary pokemons running away from ace trainers" feature, they'd just be out in the wild with a very very low appearing ratio, which is quite boring :(  I need the exact same thing with using TMs. after you use them, they break. a recycling tree hugging hippy takes the broken TM and gives it to the recycling company. the recycling company recycles the broken TM and puts it in the stores. Funny story isn't it? this is just to show what really happens and how the TM lands in the markets, Obviously I'm not gonna make that whole scene every time you use a TM, that would be a pain. So it's best that you just "Imagine" that happens. lol
4-The job of being an artist...or simply a Photoshop freak :P  :
If you're good with Photoshop,  It would really help a lot. Coz I need help making battle sprites for pokemon that are gonna be new to HG/SS. I already have OW sprites (I didn't expect to find them) all I need now is for someone to take my sprites and edit them with photo shop to make a "Second frame battle sprite" so when put together with the first frame battle sprite (I already have them all, and I'll upload them now)they will makethe pokemon look animated. well, at least when it first enters battle. After that, it just stands there with its pose. Sorry, but that's how HG/SS is :P with Photoshop, change the pokemons current pose, so it would make a "Second Frame Battle Sprite". Please make it look as cool and real as you can :)
5-The job of creating a title screen:
I'm gonna need someone to make a cool title screen instead of Ho-oh flying around or Lugia swimming around. Sure Suicune was the mascot for pokemon crystal, but lucario would also make a great mascot...also,If you could, make the starting screen 3D just like Lugia, Ho-oh, Zekrom and Reshiram (not necessary, it's just that if you CAN do it, then do it. if you are unable, then 2d is just fine). It's best if the mascot was running/flying through a cave full of Crystals.
6-The job of helping me add Creative moves OR help me find the data of a single move:
I need help editing the moves, I need to find where the move data is so I can add the gen 5 moves, and if anyone here is creative, I could use their help in making some new Fakemon moves, Every generation comes with a new pair of moves, so it's only fair that I make some more :) Sadly, due to rejection of permission, no Fakemons will be made :(
I'm thinking of this: A move called "Tremor" ground type, 50 power, physical, 100 accuracy, always hits first. If you have any cool Ideas for moves, pm me :) or you can help me find the data for a single move, so I'll be able to learn a moves structure and add more moves :) Every little bit counts in a game, so be as helpful as you can for this rom to be successful!
7-The job for helping me edit the credits in the end to give you guys credit for your help:
If I don't get help in this one, I'm just gonna write it in a notepad file, or maybe In the beginning. but I doubt the beginning would fit.
8-The job of telling me how to edit abilities:
I need help making the Gen 5 abilities, and I also need help adding them into the pokemon data, I was unable to change ability data :(
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
Please don't say I'm dumping my homework on you guys. It's just that this is a very long project, and the more members there are of Team Clear Crystal, the funner this whole project would be. It would also be easier, and we could help each-other out. Oh, how beautiful that would be. Also, there will be something special for all of you who help me make this hack. I plan on making some of the Ace Trainers named after all of you who help me, your ace trainer gets to have your favorite pokemon team, and if the hack is successful enough, make it in the history books lol...
Thanks to one of the jobs up there, your names and what you did will be in the ending credits! ...or maybe in the "Beginning Credits" If no one helps me with the ending credits...

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll look into 5,6 & 7. I'd be fun to try and make a title animation to go wid my boxart :lol:
Im sure i kno a website with second frame animations sprites too,
EMP Nightmare, When this hack is finished I think you should change ur status to 'never say never' :creep: :lol:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Amazing title screen, I also love the way he's moving.

I don't wanna be picky, but I just wanna "talk straight words" like you did when you called me noob (lol) but could you make the ground go to the left? that would make him look like he's actually moving from 1 place to another. Also (don't sue me for being picky lol) could you make his other leg move too? I really don't wanna put a burden on you, and thanks for taking all of those jobs :)

Also, thanks Mr.Macho for helping me with that. Now I'm gonna go to Google and try understand what you just said (sorry, I'm not that experienced, I don't understand big words like PPRE, but I'll check it up) :)

ah. just figured out what PPRE was, I checked project pokemon and I found Andibad there :P well I don't think he was on, he just had an old post that linked to PPRE 0.14 :P Strange though, I thought you locked it...

Edit: Just finished download. Now I'm gonna check what this thing does.....WHOA! what the heck?! this is amazing!!! I wish someone told me about this before! :D :lol:

Hey Mr.Macho, First of all, does PPRE change your pokemons or all pokemons in the game? Secondly, And Far more Importantly, If I were to add Pokemon Data (like Victini) will it add Victini 's name to the list of pokemons? or will it always have until Arceus? if it's only until Arceus and can't be increased, then I don't think trainer editor and wild pokemon editor will be that useful.

.....What I'm thinking is what If I made PPRE think that my rom was something like Pokemon Black? If it thought that, I could add pokemons in a far more easy way. but still, that'll probably result in never ending crashes...

And if it is possible, how do I do it? do I change the name of the rom or something...?

I'm not entirely sure the data I entered on Victini is even complete...

Drayano

Trophies
XP
Country
There's something I'm wondering how you intend to go around, actually; let's say in a hypothetical situation (and possibly real) you manage to get all the data for the 156 Unova Pokemon in, replacing the backup data as you call it (granted I don't know what it is exactly) with the Unova data. Now, even in hex, how would you intend to call the wild and trainer Pokémon? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd assume there's no specific IDs for the offsets that those Unova Pokémon are stored in, at least unless said backup data is somehow related to alternate forms or something.

Not to dissuade you, but if you can't actually have the Unova Pokémon present in the game there's not a lot of point including them. Of course, if it IS possible, it'd be a pretty big advancement in Gen IV hacking.

edit: Oh and yeah, they won't appear in the wild or trainer editors so it'd have to be a hex thing if it's at all possible.

MNOPYZ Strife

Actionscript Programmer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
....I just found myself attempting to hex edit PPRE rofl.....

ah, a reply, finally! :)

To tell the truth, that's what I was thinking. It goes something like this:

Welcome to Strife's mind. Current thoughts: Each pokemon has a special code (I'm thinking it's the same as there pokedex number) and somewhere in the data of each pokemon (maybe even outside the 44 bytes) the code determines what they evolve into, and how they evolve into it, and when/what stone/amount of happiness required, and the same code is found else where, and there is also a code for each trainer (who knows how long it is, and where it is :wtf: ) and the code consists of where he is, what tile he's on, what he looks like, what his name is, and what pokemon they have.

Thank you for visiting Strife's mind, Please come again! :)

^lol :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off