ROM Hack Pokemon B/W - Iris/Drayden Double Battle

Aemos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning: Things ahead that are fairly common knowledge, but may be considered spoilers to some.

Heya folks, I've got an ambitious project - a double battle against both dragon leaders - in mind, and this brings up several queries:

1- According to this thread, people have found the Narc locations for NPC sprites and in-battle sprites, but is there any way to actually edit them? I was imagining a shot of Iris and Drayden standing side by side before you fight them. Putting the two sprites next to each other in photoshop should be an easy task, but extracting the pictures is where the problem lies.

2- how about the flashy, pre-Gym-battle close up portraits? Where it shows your face and their face and a bunch of cool blurred lines? Has the Narc location for that been found?

3- Is there a known way to insert a trainer sprite into a specific location? I was imagining putting an immobile, speechless "statue" of Iris right next to Drayden. You'd need to talk to the old man to start the battle, and the little girl would just stand there in order to show that you're about to fight them both at once. If it can be done for Gen 4 with PPRE...

4- Am I correct in assuming that I can use the PPTXT text editing tool to give both trainers dialogue before the battle, and Kazowar's B/W Trainer Editor to turn Drayden's fight into a double battle with 6 dragons; 3 male and 3 female?

5- Is this an overall manageable pipe dream, or am I in need of a major reality check?

Cheers!

Aemos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, crap. Did I say that you fight Iris? I seemed to have mistyped "Bianca" several times. My bad.
unsure.gif

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sylar1 said:
thanks for telling me i fight iris you ******

Good job clicking on a thread that obviously has spoilers.

You fight Iris in White, Drayden in Black. And you don't get to fight the League Champion, you fight N instead. And then Ghetsis. Who is actually the leader of Team Plasma and he actually wants to rule the world. And right before you fight N you get to catch the legendary Pokemon for your game.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
Sylar1 said:

Good job clicking on a thread that obviously has spoilers.

You fight Iris in White, Drayden in Black. And you don't get to fight the League Champion, you fight N instead. And then Ghetsis. Who is actually the leader of Team Plasma and he actually wants to rule the world. And right before you fight N you get to catch the legendary Pokemon for your game.

It's in the topic title bro.

Doesn't it show that you fight Iris on one of the trainer card screens?

Which i have kept from looking at.

D

Deleted-236924

Sylar1 said:

No.

This is a NDS Rom Hacking section.
If I made a thread named "Juniper/Mother Double Battle", that does not in any way indicate that in the real, unmodified game there is going to be a battle against our mother or Juniper.
That being said, if I made a thread with "Iris" in the title, that doesn't spoil the plot in any way.

tl;dr if you did get spoiled, it was not by the thread title.

mgbenz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They aren't really making Iris's identity a huge secret. Really, by the time you start the game you'd already know Iris is a gym leader. All the gym leaders are already revealed in the badge screen.

D

Deleted-236924

mgbenz said:
They aren't really making Iris's identity a huge secret. Really, by the time you start the game you'd already know Iris is a gym leader. All the gym leaders are already revealed in the badge screen.
He said he kept himself from looking at that just so Gym Leaders would be a surprise to him.

Aemos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Sylar isn't just trolling and genuinely had his game spoiled, then I offer my sincerest apologies. A warning has been added to the initial post. That said, I've done a bit more research and have come a step or two closer to solutions to my initial questions. I still doubt that I can pull this off without the community's help, so here's a friendly call-out to my fellow board-members to share our collective wisdom!

Now, as to my findings on my original queries:

1 - There is indeed a way to change both the overworld and in-battle sprites of B/W trainers, as evidenced here. Sadly, the wise soul behind that video failed to explain what tools he used to do so.

2 - Ditto with the pre-Gym-Battle "mugshots." If only the ArcNecrotech fellow who posted the video explained how he pulled it off...

3 - It seems that my original idea of the "statue" Iris going to be a lot tougher than I originally thought. 5th Gen map hacking is apparently far more difficult, due to the higher usage of 3D elements. This thread seems to have the most advanced map editor currently out there, and the main programmer is nowhere near getting the info needed to make big changes to the Opelucid city gym, so it'd be quite the task to figure out where to place her.

Since we're working in three dimensions, somebody *might* might know how to figure out the X,Y, and Z coordinates of where Drayden stands, then place an inanimate Iris model one space directly to his right. This would also involve finding the Iris overworld sprite, saving her image as a new piece of terrain (or using it to replace one that we never see, if such a piece of terrain exists) before we insert it.

I do have another idea on how to get around this, though this one also seems fairly complicated. It's easy to notice that the Reshiram/Zekrom overworld sprites both fill four "spaces" instead of the usual one that's taken up by trainers, so we know that 2x2 sprites exist in the game's code. If somebody were to find out where the Reshi/Zek overworld sprites were located, we could copy them and modify the copies - an immobile copy of Iris' overworld sprite would take up one quadrant, Drayden's would take up another, and the back two would be be the palette's translucent color. The two trainers would form a single, giant, hive-minded entity.

If neither of these ideas pan out, it's not the end of the world. As long as they both get dialogue, pokemon, mug shots and pre-battle sprites, it'd be fairly clear that you're fighting both of them at once. Hell, give Iris some lines about how she likes to hide to surprise challengers.

4 - I've yet to dabble with PPTXT, but if it can be used to replace Japanese kanji with good old English letters, then it should be a piece of cake to tweak a line or two of dialogue. As long as it doesn't require very complicated hex editing, I'm confident that I can pull the dialogue changes off.

As for the B/W Trainer Editor, I can only say that Kazowar deserves a spot in MIT's code-writing department. My one qualm with it is the lack of gender determination - Drayden does use an all-guy team while Iris uses gals, after all. It'd also be nice to control pokemon abilities, but hey - I'm thankful for what I can get. I wonder if the "unknown" variable that each pokemon in the BWTE has, has something to do with it.

5 - Is this a manageable project or have I bitten off more than I can chew? Not a clue, but I pray to Odin that it's the former.

And so, my good folks, have you any clues as to how I might go about accomplishing any of these goals?

Cheerio!

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
PPTXT has the ability to run through the EU and US versions of the game already, trust me, I'm using it right now. For the sprites, it would be most certainly nice to see if someone can pull of a hack like this.

Aemos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody already has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvUjuFQMBA

However, he's left no hints as to how he did it. Does anybody here have any ideas or know-how? If not for B/W, then how about for Gen 4 - how many programs are there that let you extract pictures from .narc files to edit in photoshop or whatever? Maybe one of them could be used on Black or White...

I've already tried PokeDSPic, but that's specifically tailored to 4th gen games. I haven't had any luck with Tahaxan or Tilemolester, but perhaps some other members of this forum have...

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Sylar1 said:

No.

This is a NDS Rom Hacking section.
If I made a thread named "Juniper/Mother Double Battle", that does not in any way indicate that in the real, unmodified game there is going to be a battle against our mother or Juniper.
That being said, if I made a thread with "Iris" in the title, that doesn't spoil the plot in any way.

tl;dr if you did get spoiled, it was not by the thread title.

You don't get around much, any thread concerning any topic: sequel game theories, anime adaptation games, etc., can can contain false or accurate information. But if it contains stuff that is "technically" not of the obvious, this would include a JPN game not released in US, or where the manga/naime in JPN is ahead of the US but a character might appear in the game.

Anyone who knows about games like Kingdom Hearts, knows that there are tons of thing people just don't know about a games story.

Perfect example: Pokemon Blue/Red, the "Mew" secret. You had to have surf before w/e badge and then before the boat leaves you surf off the side and use the keys found in the class room to move the truck and find Mew. Now this would deserve a spoiler warning regardless of it it was true or not. But 10 yars later we know it's false.

D

Deleted User

Sylar1 said:
Oh no, spoiling a Pokemon game. I can't imagine a worse thing to happen.

No, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Riftweaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
Sylar1 said:
Oh no, spoiling a Pokemon game. I can't imagine a worse thing to happen.

No, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

pfh... more like hes making a dugtrio out of a diglett
ha! see what i did there? im funny

link491

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol yes you are (sort of) but anyway, does anyone know were these graphics are located? i cant access the site (pokecommunity) that has the list.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 's birth: