PokeDexterDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by benjifs, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I agree, you probably want a team if you're absolutely serious of making this largely completed and stunning. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to find some graphic designers for something like this, and it'd probably make your own work easier to not have to design every little piece of it, rather than program/compile it.

@Jurassic: Did you happen to have a .PSD file for your mock-up? I tried opening the .PNG images you included with GIMP, but it wouldn't show the layers?

2. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Well a team would be good specially for the graphic designing part. I put that together as best as I could and I like mine since its pretty much a simple pokedex with the stuff I would like. As for the coding its actually not too hard. the way I wrote my code was to make it easier for me to update for whatever features since i was planning on adding more buttons to the bottom screen for different options. So in the end if I wanted to change the look of it, it would just be a couple more lines of code which shouldnt take more than a weekend. The only thing I see being a problem would be the location since theres many maps and adding the location in a way so it looks nice is a little complicated.

3. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    Well, its not like we don't have some people willing to come up with graphics, so that would be easy enough xD, the real problem rests in the amount of work because of all those pokemon TT-TT. I suppose if Benjifs could code a generalized layout for displaying the data (that should be the case as it is), we could help him fill out like a form that he can quickly move into the code without much effort, then he could spread the work of adding all of the info to the entries to the community (maybe let people give pokemon in sets of 10-20 and announce that someone is working on those, and then nobody's work would overlap xD) since its probably hell putting entries into the same format all day long for anybody (at least its easy to do, I suppose).
    In the end, all this means is that we have people willing to work the graphics, people that will help with the entries (at least I would xD...come to think of it, if there is a generalized layout, I could make a cheezy sort of program that could generate pokemon entries into a .txt file that Benjifs can copy/paste straight into the code provided I get to see the code for the generalized layout and what things are supposed to be changed), and possibly others if anyone ever plans to make a super revamped PokeDex.

I saved them as a flat image, so if there are any edits, I have to do it from page 2 xD (my layers are extremely messy anyways, random layers all over the place lol). Unfortunately, that means that anyone that wants to edit them also has to do the same thing xD.

-I'm almost tempted to take a look into how to make homebrew, but I know that my determination probably can't last through the learning, thus you can tell that I'm trying to persuade anyone else to make it because I think it would be awesomely spectacular xD (plus I would never have to visit serebii ever again lol).

-edit-
    About the locations, I could make the maps fit and give the images over. Then if I did make a program to help people fill out generalized layout, people would just have to name the locations or something if the code could be made to highlight certain routes using a myriad of toggles maybe?

4. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    Actually, I just finished work on a keymap of the Pokémon Green/Blue/Red/Yellow font. It was worked on by hand, and some keys had to be redesigned, but generally, i think it'd be nice to just show it cause it's wide and generally easy on the eyes:
    [​IMG]

ACEDIT:
    It's true that too many Pokémon exist (near 500 entries...) and it takes a looooong time for just one person to go find the correct entries and place them correctly in the form. Luckily, he's programmed it so he doesn't have to go about massive reprogramming if he f*cks up. Which sort of makes it easier on anyone digging up any info, for example how to calculate EV's, and then finding a way to put the equation into function with C++/PAlib, or the capture rate equation, which isn't exactly any easier (Go to Bulbapedia, the equations can be found there). I'm, however, not so sure how many people would be needed (would a team be needed), cause it's mostly finding the info that's the challenge. If any priority should be put into the project, it should be to the entries/any info that can be used on the PokéDex.

5. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Like I said, for this release I pretty much had to do that for this release so adding the EV or capture rate would be pretty simple.

6. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    1. Nice to know that this isn't exactly a growing pain on ya [​IMG]
    2. The font... hm.... I think you should first try compiling it with the Dex, then preview it for us with an image. Then, if it looks good, you could add it. [​IMG]

7. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Had to modify it a little to add the male and female signs and also the position of some of the characters since they were overlaping on the screen. I think this looks cleaner than the previous one, mostly because the other one looks like bold letters.

8. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    is that AHHH as in AHH!!! real monsters
    or
    AHHH as in AHHHHHH-MAZING
    ?

edit: weird...

9. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    It ain't half bad, actually. My expectations weren't exactly high, so if you like, keep it! I find it better looking than the last font IMO. If I find any other good font (I've had my eyes at the Sapphire/ruby/Emerald font), I may point to it as suggestion, although compiling the fonts are a pain. Took 45 mins to compile this one here! IMO, you won't get more PokéDecks than using the PKMN font.

10. jurassicplayer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    I suppose if worst comes to worst, one of the image editor inclined people could make a PSD with all of the routes as toggle-able layers for each map (Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn, etc.) and have people make the images and send them in with whatever naming structure you have when compiling

On a different note, I also tried to make font (more ideas, more choices to choose from xD). For some reason, I was trying to keep the letters at a 5x6 pixel size (smaller means more can fit...most of the time). Its probably not much better from the first font (eye strain much lol), but the only real way to tell if it looks good would be to test it (and somehow I didn't find editing the image to see what it looked like as a fun idea).
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't exactly sure if the two rows of the alphabet meant anything, so instead I just made the bottom row have lowercase letters (maybe non-caps will make it easier to read?)

11. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Well depending on how you edited it you could easily make a base layout with no text or special highlighting and blank top screen where the pokemon goes as well as blank bottom where the location and list goes. The thing there would just be to implement it.

By the way here's how that font looks.
    [​IMG]
    I actually put uppercase twice because that way whenever it sees data in lowercase, it will print out uppercase. I thought this just looked better from the beginning. Thats why theres the two rows of uppercase.

12. ashxu

ashxu GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2008
    Melbourne
    This would be super Awesome if you could hold it like a Pokedex (Hold the DS on it's "book" position, like in Brain Training or Hotel Dusk)

13. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    when I originally designed I thought of that but as it turns out in that position it feels like theres less space for stuff. Didnt look right to me.

14. jurassicplayer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    lol at first glance, the pokedex looked like it was saying gibberish until I read it xD (although it looks like I need to shift all of the characters up a pixel so everything shows correctly (yay for making it small, I have space to budge things over)...maybe I should have made the lower case characters more roundish, they look really angular. My comma looks lame xD.

Here is an example of the image (had to save using GIMP's archive .xcf).
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jnrh0tdym3o

15. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    The problem is the font is kinda small, and with 5x6 pixel icons, they sorta get spaced out. I'm tempted to make a Ruby/Sapphire font, or even perhaps a HGSS fontmap, but I'm stumped with all my homework as of late, and I do not want to drop my grades for the growth of the DS HB Community, though I am not forgetting that this might be one of the last homebrews made for this console. I'll get back to this when I can.
    Example of the R/S/E font:
    [​IMG]

16. Xestrix

Xestrix Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    I'm also getting two blank screens on 2 separate m3i zero's, both running the latest sakura (M25) + touchpod (M67) firmwares.

17. jurassicplayer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    Maybe you could both try using homebrew loaders and seeing if those work (if I had the M3iZero that was supposedly coming and the parts that I ordered, I would have tried it...but seeing as I don't just yet...). Some homebrew loaders are: Moonshell2 (try Xenon++'s vhbootlib extlink), Flashcart OS, homebrew menu, and maybe try Xenon++'s chismloader...which I think goes to DSOrganize.

18. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I would go about doing this if my files weren't so disorganized on my microSD. I'm contemplating a format, but my built-in card reader doesn't accept SDHC. Any help on that too? Tried looking at the SDHC Hotfix update for Windows XP, but to no avail. [​IMG]

19. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    DSOrganize would've been my first guess as well. I dont know how relevant this is but a isnt homebrew supposed to be dldi patched or something? I dont know because I use a cyclods and I believe thats automatic on it. Anyways let me know if using DSOrganize fixes your problem.

20. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I want to update my ROM-loader, but I've looked everywhere and I don't know where to find the appropiate files for auto-booting Moonshell 2.10 with a DSTT using YSMenu. Any pointers to a guide? Because I'm currently using Moonshell 2.05, and I got that to work with an ollllllllllllllllllllld guide at the DSTT Subforums.