PokeDexterDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by benjifs, Apr 21, 2010.

1. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    back button for what? the only thing that doesnt have a back button is when you're scanning, so if you're in pkmn 1 and you went to 493, theres no way on getting back to 1. is that what you're referring to?

2. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I made a quick mockup of the Pokémon index using GIMP. I've only made the bottomscreen, but I can probably make the topscreen faster, using the bottom as template [​IMG]. It's all made in layers (:yaypng:), so just ask if you want this. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Got by finishing it:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    So thought this would give everyone a better idea of the fonts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Suggestions?

4. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    I personally like the first one, although it is probably small enough that some people would have problems reading. If it wasn't the first one, I would have to say the last one.

5. XXNatus

XXNatus GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    United States
    I like the first one as well, the last one is also a good choice. I prefer the bold letters so the second one is out of the picture, and the third one hurts my eyes.

6. Prime_Zero

Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2010
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Oh wow that was a cool idea to me, it'll be nice to use when ever I play the game sense I don't like to use the same pokemon twice. [​IMG]

*Update* Also I agree with the bold letters...

7. Snuffy

Snuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2010
    United States
    I think this is a good idea. Some ideas I had when I used it though are:
    -Maybe be able to sort pokemon by different types? if that's not too much of a challenge
    -Show the entire evolution chain for pokemon instead of just saying "Final Evolution"
    -Have lists as well instead of just seeing one pokemon and having to scroll through so many.

Very useful, and has lots of potential to be become even better.

8. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    New version just uploaded. Same as the last one except changed the font to the "better" version. I kinda like this one alot more.
    Link updated in first post.

I thought about doing this at first but if you look at eevee's evolutions you'll see how crowded everything is. If I were to do multiple chains for the pokemons, it would end up looking bad in my opinion.

9. Neo1Spider

Neo1Spider Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2008
    United States

I totally agree, this has a lot of potential if its worked on continually.

It would really useful if you had the EV the pokemon give you in their info as well.

Hope to see more of this. [​IMG]

10. Snuffy

Snuffy Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, but generally they only have two-three evolutions and it wouldn't be thaattt crowded. Eevee has far too many evolutions as we all know.

11. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    I guess thats right. Some have 4 but still not too bad. I'm just not looking forward to black and white because I have a feeling that eevee will get a couple more evolutions.

12. azntiger

azntiger GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2010
    United States
    Creepsville
    It's so hard trying to compair these fronts with crossed eyes
    One minute I see it normaly then the next there are 2 im looknig at :[

13. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    I hope the new font works out better for everyone. If people still have problems let me know and I'll try to find a better font

14. jurassicplayer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    After seeing Ace Faith's mockup, I wanted to try my own mockup of what I thought of as the "ideal" pokedex. If only I had the patience to learn how to make homebrew, this would have been awesome. I thought of a GUI and keymap even. You can see my idea for the top screen here which gives a quick little explanation of the stuff in my mock-up (and some ideas for a keymap).
    Anyways, here is my mockup (unfinished since it took longer than I expected), aimed more towards a quick way to grab the needed info and continue on.
    [​IMG]

For my very first mock-up of anything ever, I think it looks pretty awesome and I could totally forgo having better looking text if was set up like this (unless there is another font that looks better and still fits xD)

15. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Wow I really like your mockup. maybe its just me but I see the font being a little smaller for the height and weight, I could be mistaken. I think the idea is good but then what would you actually display on the bottom screen? I guess if it were to have tms, hms, locations, then the bottom screen would be very usefull. I actually just made it so the buttons are on the bottom screen for the touch of it. I figured there wasnt a point of having a ds homebrew and not have it use the touchscreen. but I still really like how yours looks.

16. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I very much liked it too. Seems like it'd make a good use of the screen, but the buttons could be a bit expanded IMO. Maybe cleaning up the inteface (a bit like I made in my mockup) would make it bangin'. Just wanna point out too that I ain't a programmer at all... Graphics and music are the things I can make come to life [​IMG]

Question: What photo editing tool did you use for this, jurassicplayer? I try to stick to GIMP, but I have PS CS4 bought from Bolivia for about half a buck [​IMG]. I do not use it as much, I find some freeware better than propietary software.

17. jurassicplayer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    I couldn't expand the buttons because of the keymap that I imagined (stated the keymap in that huge chunk of text right up there xD). I felt that there was less need for having a border around the pokedex because in the newer versions of pokemon (this for sure, the rest I don't remember xD) there isn't a border and its pretty much the entire DS is the pokedex and so I decided to follow their lead on that. Oh that reminds me, on that mock-up its ok to ignore those two lines that go to the height and weight xD, I just wondered what it would look like (kind of looks advanced...and kind of not xD).
    I can't really think of a way to clean up how my mockup looks since it is pretty packed in there xD, but feel free to edit my mock-up if you can make it better (and make fantasy ever harder to resist).

As for what I used for editing, I'm just using GIMP. I never liked PS (I tried using it a couple times but never made sense of it). It took me a fair amount of time to make the mock-up, but it was a small image so it wasn't like there was any massive editing going around.

-edit-
    Dunno if anyone is actually going to see this, but here is my finished mock-up, it isn't perfect but I hope everyone enjoys it all the same xD. (Oh and give credit to Env for the scroll bar arrows and scroller because I just took them from his HGSS skin)
    [​IMG]

18. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    Whoa...
    Honestly, it won't get PokéDexier than that, jurassic. Beat me to it [​IMG]

19. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    ok thats probably the coolest pokedex ever. now i feel ashamed of my lame design

20. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Your "lame design" was working within the confines of your own programming ability (not that I'm saying you're bad or anything.) To create Jurassic's Dex you need a good bit of skill to A) Have all the data it shows found and displayed quickly B) Good image editting skills to create the sprites in the first place and C) Have a good, reliable resource to find all these facts on every single pokemon (there's over 400 now :S)
    Overall, I'd say your design is very good for a homebrew developer working on his own. To make something really fancy you need a proper team.