PokeDexterDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by benjifs, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Black ace

Black ace GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2010
    Follow this guide to auto boot moonshell 2.07-2.10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3U9V0qto4...feature=related

or if you want something other than the ndslink method you could use moonshell 2.08/2.09 with NORMMATTS fix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MP3b8xuY_c

If it doesen't autoboot format your card with panasonic sd formatter
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/index.html

2. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    Which one boots faster/has more Homebrew Compatability? I'm fairly undecided...

3. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    Both use ysmenu to load so there isn't really a difference in loading times and there is no difference in homebrew compatability. (anyone else notice that this is totally offtopic?)

4. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    Yeah, terribly sorry, it's just that this isn't working on my DSTT [​IMG]
    I'll see if it gets sorted soon...

5. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Well if you do get it to work you should post how you did it here just so if someone else has that problem they know what to do.

6. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    I pushed through and finally got it working! Woohoo [​IMG]
    Now it loads up on my Phat. I'm very surprised as to how fast the Pokédex loaded up! I first thought (when I tried it out on No$GBA) that it only loaded fast because NoCash is simply the best, but booting it on my DS on this speed surprised me.

Things to maybe think about:

-Redesign it to your liking
    -An EV Calculator
    -If your up for a batsh*t insane challenge, this (clicky)
    -A GlitchDex? Like the one over at Bulbapedia (about 50 entries if you include Gen. I Glitch Pokémon)
    -A savefile that stores what the Pokémon's IV/EV/PID/Secret Trainer ID/etc. you've calculated for which Pokémon. Size of it depends on... how much such info storage takes [​IMG] . Obviously it should be optional to store this info with maybe a SAVE/STORE button when calculating.

ACEDIT: Learned how to use a program known as GXSCC, a freeware sound chip emulator of the Konami MSX-series that can make chiptunes out of MIDI files very simply. Since I am very used to using MIDI, I made a .7z archive of 4 different sound effects. It's very truly retro sounding, and might be a nice addition to the program. The only thing I stupidly forgot to do is compress the sound files to the proper format. They need to be turned into MONO sound and be set at 22050 Hz and resampled to 16-bit. It's hardly a challenge of you know how to convert files [​IMG]

Link is here, just click me!

Reuploaded, compressed it to above specs, it's at 5,79 kB. Here.

7. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    -I totally support the glitchdex =D
    For the other things...I never knew that the secret ID was used for those sort of things xD (almost makes me want to try it at least once). Hopefully we will all get to see a new release some time soon =D.

8. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Has anyone tried searching without writing anything or using 0 as the number?

The glitchdex would be a good idea but i asked before about the unown dex and since nobody liked that idea, i decided to not use it. However I did want to include missingno for sentimental reasons(how many people did this and their game got erased?).

Anyways as an update, after talking to jurassicplayer I decided to design a new layout which will allow more options such as EV calculator, TM/HM, gender ratio, and whatever else. The locations will be included but I first have to figure out how to get that to work. Also it might take me a little while to release the next version with the new layout just because I wont be home to work on it. But i'll get back to it as soon as possible. And as soon as I get the new layout done I'll post it for suggestions and stuff.

9. iMinotauro

iMinotauro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2010
    United States
    California
    I love this homebrew.
    It works wonderfully.
    Although I would like to see these implemented:
    1.A better way to scroll down the list other than searching
    2.A list of moves the individual Poke'mon learns. (this should come from HGSS as it being the latest installment in the series)
    3.The sprites should also come from HGSS for the same reason

As for the upcoming layout changes, I hope you keep the originality of the real Poke'dex.
    I love it the way it looks, You aced it (visually appealing and functional)

And for the glitch dex I say "stray far from it".
    This is because it has no relevance you are much better off implementing an unknown dex, I believe it was your intention of providing a way for others to get information on their Poke'mon games not adding irrelevant information.

Although I am on board with the missingno entry. Just classic.
    BTW will be following your blog

10. Ace

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    This happened me on my Pokémon Blue. I had a lvl. 100 Charizard and a lvl. 99 Mewtwo. [​IMG]

11. Blazikun

Blazikun GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    51n30, 0w10
    nice project. great if i want an on-hand pokedex...

12. benjifs
    OP

benjifs Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to be including moves in the newer version, the only thing i'm not 100% on is the location. My initial idea to make this homebrew was just to have some sort of feeling of what a real pokedex would have if this was the real pokemon world. So in my head this was supposed to have the same information the pokedex would have in the manga/anime.

And I agree. Perhaps the glitch dex wouldnt be such a great thing to have. I just like missingno and since its the most famous glitch pokemon, it just seemed like he was part of the group.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated, not just in what the main pokedex will have, but also in outside functionalities.

Right now I'm in finals and then I'll be out of town for about a month without my computer so wont have any chance to work on it. Mid june I'll get back to fixing the layout and posting it here to get some input on it. Hopefully by july everything will be done. Well not everything...

[​IMG]

13. iMinotauro

iMinotauro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2010
    United States
    California
    lol, yeah I know right.

Great teaser [​IMG]