Homebrew PokeDexterDS

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I made a quick mockup of the Pokémon index using GIMP. I've only made the bottomscreen, but I can probably make the topscreen faster, using the bottom as template
smile.gif
. It's all made in layers (:yaypng:), so just ask if you want this. Enjoy!
HvduLAGab.png

EDIT: Got by finishing it:
dWRCYzuct.png
sYaKeoBhw.png

laugh.gif

XXNatus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the first one as well, the last one is also a good choice. I prefer the bold letters so the second one is out of the picture, and the third one hurts my eyes.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow that was a cool idea to me, it'll be nice to use when ever I play the game sense I don't like to use the same pokemon twice.
yaynds.gif

*Update* Also I agree with the bold letters...

Snuffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a good idea. Some ideas I had when I used it though are:
-Maybe be able to sort pokemon by different types? if that's not too much of a challenge
-Show the entire evolution chain for pokemon instead of just saying "Final Evolution"
-Have lists as well instead of just seeing one pokemon and having to scroll through so many.

Very useful, and has lots of potential to be become even better.

benjifs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokedexterds.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
New version just uploaded. Same as the last one except changed the font to the "better" version. I kinda like this one alot more.
Link updated in first post.

Snuffy said:
-Maybe be able to sort pokemon by different types? if that's not too much of a challenge
-Have lists as well instead of just seeing one pokemon and having to scroll through so many.
I was already thinking about doing these two things. It wouldnt be that bad to implement the first one, the second one could take some time. Maybe adding specific search for types, height, weight, etc..

QUOTE(Snuffy @ Apr 24 2010, 01:48 AM) -Show the entire evolution chain for pokemon instead of just saying "Final Evolution"
I thought about doing this at first but if you look at eevee's evolutions you'll see how crowded everything is. If I were to do multiple chains for the pokemons, it would end up looking bad in my opinion.

Neo1Spider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snuffy said:
I think this is a good idea. Some ideas I had when I used it though are:
-Show the entire evolution chain for pokemon instead of just saying "Final Evolution"

Very useful, and has lots of potential to be become even better.

I totally agree, this has a lot of potential if its worked on continually.

It would really useful if you had the EV the pokemon give you in their info as well.

Hope to see more of this.
happy.gif

Snuffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
benjifs said:
I was already thinking about doing these two things. It wouldnt be that bad to implement the first one, the second one could take some time. Maybe adding specific search for types, height, weight, etc..
That would be good. I just really think lists would be nice. Just give the name, number, and types and maybe be able to sort them, because it seems like its hard to navigate with just a search and the option of jamming the up/down keys for a few minutes.

QUOTEI thought about doing this at first but if you look at eevee's evolutions you'll see how crowded everything is. If I were to do multiple chains for the pokemons, it would end up looking bad in my opinion.
Yeah, but generally they only have two-three evolutions and it wouldn't be thaattt crowded. Eevee has far too many evolutions as we all know.

benjifs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Neo1Spider said:
It would really useful if you had the EV the pokemon give you in their info as well.
This would be easy to add so I'll figure out how to do all that once this semester is over.
I'll probably also add catch rate, male-female ratio, ability. Possibly also moves if I figure out a way to display it in such a way that it looks nice

QUOTE(Snuffy @ Apr 24 2010, 02:10 AM) Yeah, but generally they only have two-three evolutions and it wouldn't be thaattt crowded. Eevee has far too many evolutions as we all know.
I guess thats right. Some have 4 but still not too bad. I'm just not looking forward to black and white because I have a feeling that eevee will get a couple more evolutions.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
After seeing Ace Faith's mockup, I wanted to try my own mockup of what I thought of as the "ideal" pokedex. If only I had the patience to learn how to make homebrew, this would have been awesome. I thought of a GUI and keymap even. You can see my idea for the top screen here which gives a quick little explanation of the stuff in my mock-up (and some ideas for a keymap).
Anyways, here is my mockup (unfinished since it took longer than I expected), aimed more towards a quick way to grab the needed info and continue on.
mockup.png

For my very first mock-up of anything ever, I think it looks pretty awesome and I could totally forgo having better looking text if was set up like this (unless there is another font that looks better and still fits xD)

benjifs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Wow I really like your mockup. maybe its just me but I see the font being a little smaller for the height and weight, I could be mistaken. I think the idea is good but then what would you actually display on the bottom screen? I guess if it were to have tms, hms, locations, then the bottom screen would be very usefull. I actually just made it so the buttons are on the bottom screen for the touch of it. I figured there wasnt a point of having a ds homebrew and not have it use the touchscreen. but I still really like how yours looks.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I very much liked it too. Seems like it'd make a good use of the screen, but the buttons could be a bit expanded IMO. Maybe cleaning up the inteface (a bit like I made in my mockup) would make it bangin'. Just wanna point out too that I ain't a programmer at all... Graphics and music are the things I can make come to life
laugh.gif

Question: What photo editing tool did you use for this, jurassicplayer? I try to stick to GIMP, but I have PS CS4 bought from Bolivia for about half a buck
laugh.gif
. I do not use it as much, I find some freeware better than propietary software.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
benjifs said:
Wow I really like your mockup. maybe its just me but I see the font being a little smaller for the height and weight, I could be mistaken. I think the idea is good but then what would you actually display on the bottom screen? I guess if it were to have tms, hms, locations, then the bottom screen would be very usefull. I actually just made it so the buttons are on the bottom screen for the touch of it. I figured there wasnt a point of having a ds homebrew and not have it use the touchscreen. but I still really like how yours looks.

The font isn't any different xD I copy/pasted most of the letters (I think I had to make a "Y" and use "U" instead of "V")
I was imagining the bottom screen to have a totally different layout from the top. A scroll bar on the right (probably showing only the pokemon number since the name takes up quite a bit of space...although if there is lots of space at the end, then I will probably change that xD) with the "Back" button underneath. The upper left and right corners of the screen would match the L&R buttons (and swap the top pages). The main part of the screen was going to be a window with 6 buttons underneath with locations, learnable moves, teachable moves, Natures list, IV/EV calculator (including nature in calculations), and because I couldn't think of anything else, Pokemon cry. Of course, touchscreen wise, I imagined it just as tap on it to get the window active (maybe with some telltale glow or something) and blah blah, touch screen stuff is mostly a given. As for the key mapping, it took a little more thought. "A" was going to be select obviously, the cursor used in the same manner as it is in moonshell2 (when the scrollbar is active), otherwise it would be used to navigate the currently active window. "X" was to swap between the windows (instead of tapping if people don't like the touch screen), flipping the upper pages (incase of too much info) was the "Y" button, touchwise it would have been this button in the upper middle part of the screen. Pokemon cries was the Select button because I doubt people use that as much, and the Start button would bring up a smallish menu to allow non-touchscreen users to jump to the top, bottom, or go back to the start screen (as well as the option to cancel xD).

Of course the problem with my set up is that because there would be 3-ish windows (scrollbar, lower buttons, and main window), if the user misses the first time while pressing X, then they cycle through the other two to get to where they want (though I deemed that a necessary evil to fit everything in).

I actually had the entire pokedex GUI planned out in my head, like how the learnable/teachable moves would work, which was pretty much having the main window with a scroll bar and each entry having the name of the move, the base power, type, contest entry type (cute, cool, etc.), and a short description if it had an added effect (ie. quick attack always being first). If it couldn't fit every move with that setup, then I was thinking of just having the extreme basic stuff, name, base power, type and then have the d-pad control a cursor and when a move is selected, the main window changes to show the finer points of the move.

All in all, if I attempted to explain the rest of my imaginary pokedex, it would take a fairly long time, since I came up with every option that I could think of along with all of the keymaps (of course, interchangable with touch screen as well xD).

QUOTE(Ace Faith @ Apr 24 2010, 05:28 PM) I very much liked it too. Seems like it'd make a good use of the screen, but the buttons could be a bit expanded IMO. Maybe cleaning up the inteface (a bit like I made in my mockup) would make it bangin'. Just wanna point out too that I ain't a programmer at all... Graphics and music are the things I can make come to life
laugh.gif

Question: What photo editing tool did you use for this, jurassicplayer? I try to stick to GIMP, but I have PS CS4 bought from Bolivia for about half a buck
laugh.gif
. I do not use it as much, I find some freeware better than propietary software.
I couldn't expand the buttons because of the keymap that I imagined (stated the keymap in that huge chunk of text right up there xD). I felt that there was less need for having a border around the pokedex because in the newer versions of pokemon (this for sure, the rest I don't remember xD) there isn't a border and its pretty much the entire DS is the pokedex and so I decided to follow their lead on that. Oh that reminds me, on that mock-up its ok to ignore those two lines that go to the height and weight xD, I just wondered what it would look like (kind of looks advanced...and kind of not xD).
I can't really think of a way to clean up how my mockup looks since it is pretty packed in there xD, but feel free to edit my mock-up if you can make it better (and make fantasy ever harder to resist).

As for what I used for editing, I'm just using GIMP. I never liked PS (I tried using it a couple times but never made sense of it). It took me a fair amount of time to make the mock-up, but it was a small image so it wasn't like there was any massive editing going around.

-edit-
Dunno if anyone is actually going to see this, but here is my finished mock-up, it isn't perfect but I hope everyone enjoys it all the same xD. (Oh and give credit to Env for the scroll bar arrows and scroller because I just took them from his HGSS skin)
mockupf.png

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
benjifs said:
ok thats probably the coolest pokedex ever. now i feel ashamed of my lame design
Your "lame design" was working within the confines of your own programming ability (not that I'm saying you're bad or anything.) To create Jurassic's Dex you need a good bit of skill to A) Have all the data it shows found and displayed quickly B) Good image editting skills to create the sprites in the first place and C) Have a good, reliable resource to find all these facts on every single pokemon (there's over 400 now :S)
Overall, I'd say your design is very good for a homebrew developer working on his own. To make something really fancy you need a proper team.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ