ROM Hack Pokémon Emerald Real 512Kb Flash Memory Patch

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Pikachu025

Out of curiosity would it be possible to make a similar patch for Super Mario Advance 4 as its another game with a 128Kb Flash Memory that doesn't work quite right on AGB_FIRM.

There's actually a patch for that somewhere around these forms. The only drawbacks are that it only works if the ROM was already patched to have all the e-reader levels, and quicksaving is pretty much broken. I tried it myself, and the only time I had problems was the very first time I booted it up. Once you reach the part where the world map's bouncing around, just reset it, and it'll straighten itself out. You can find it here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/about-super-mario-advance-4s-release.411467/page-7
(It's on CheatFreak47's post)

The same method can probably be applied to other games and language versions too, though, so if there's interest and I can find the time I may make other patches too.

Oh, YES! Please do this for FRLG (preferably the 1.1 versions) and RS! That would be a dream come true.

Reactions: noctis90210

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just seen this on romhacking.net and it totally slipped under my radar. Fantastic job, now I can finally play this game, cause I want to play it on my 3ds. o3o

Quick question; Is this patch compatible with romhacks, such has the Complete Hoenn/National Dex hacks?

I decided to just go for it and try this out with the National Dex hack on my 3ds. It seems to work and I am able to save and load properly, but I haven't gotten far yet and I haven't exactly gone through with a hex editor to see if the code that OP modified to make this hack is in the same place or not with the National Dex's base ROM. It's entirely possible that there could be issues later, until someone verifies that the patch is actually compatible.

Make sure you check the RTC box when creating the CIA file, as the injector won't recognize the hack and won't do it for you. Also, I don't recommend the Day/Night patch included with the Dex hacks. I couldn't get it to work on my 3DS or with an emulator.

Reactions: MajinCubyan

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot OP for this, it even worked for Theta Emerald Ex. Unfortunately couldn't convert the save since it was corrupt and had to start over, but worth it just to play an Emerald port on 3DS with no corrupt message or internal battery stuff.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't guarantee that the patch is compatible with other hacks/patches, but I'd be surprised if any of them touched the save and load routines, so it should work.
About that...
A personal Emerald hack I've been working on for years used this hack to expand the Pokedex properly, which does include changes to the save routine:
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324892
I know there's a new less buggy thread, but that didn't exist at the time I did it, so this one is the more relevant.
I don't really know the first thing about the saving process, but does this look at all compatible with your patch?

Toneck

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please make this patch for FireRed/LeafGreen and Ruby/Sapphire(as Emerald RNG Broken) I'm dying to play these without any save and error messages , I'd do it myself if i knew how to... Thanks for this one anyway great work.

Reactions: NotABot

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
Could you please make this patch for FireRed/LeafGreen and Ruby/Sapphire(as Emerald RNG Broken) I'm dying to play these without any save and error messages , I'd do it myself if i knew how to... Thanks for this one anyway great work.
the solution is if someone could mke a gba forwarder, rather than this crappy nintendos GBA VC...
if you patch the game to remove those errors, the save file it produces will not be compatible to unpatched game if you plan to play it again in PC emulator.
save file produced by patched rom will only work on the same rom that have been patched.
plus the save injection/extraction sucks.

unlike if someone could make a forwarder, no patching needed.
save files are also saved on sd card, so export/import of save file would be easy.
and so playing between 3ds and pc emulator vv.

Toneck

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the solution is if someone could mke a gba forwarder, rather than this crappy nintendos GBA VC...
if you patch the game to remove those errors, the save file it produces will not be compatible to unpatched game if you plan to play it again in PC emulator.
save file produced by patched rom will only work on the same rom that have been patched.
plus the save injection/extraction sucks.

unlike if someone could make a forwarder, no patching needed.
save files are also saved on sd card, so export/import of save file would be easy.
and so playing between 3ds and pc emulator vv.

So I guess it would be incompatible with pkhex ? I use that as a pokebank and would use it to get a shiny rayquaza off it, if you can soft reset for shinys that is on ruby/sapphire on VC as with these patches it might say dead battery so RNG would be broken like emeralds... ugh I just wanna play the gba pokemons with the 3ds screen without this shit lol

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
So I guess it would be incompatible with pkhex ? I use that as a pokebank and would use it to get a shiny rayquaza off it, if you can soft reset for shinys that is on ruby/sapphire on VC as with these patches it might say dead battery so RNG would be broken like emeralds... ugh I just wanna play the gba pokemons with the 3ds screen without this shit lol
i believe patched save produced by patched rom will be incompatible to pkhex since patched game will also have changes on how they write to save file.
since theres no forwarder yet, 3ds emulator (mgba/retroarch) is second choice.
but unlike the forwarder that has its own icon to start the game on home menu and can load game directly on home menu...
in emulator, the emulator is the only one that have an icon on home menu, loading the game happens inside the emulator.

Synonyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late reply to this post (by a longshot), but I've recently come across this tool because my game was having the aforementioned save issue. I'm running the GBA VC copy of Pokemon Emerald, and despite repeated attempts to use this tool, my saves still come out to the "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage." error.

I dump my VC save with GodMode9, and I take that 64kb save file (0004000000009000.gbavc.sav) > Run it through the program @Pikachu025 created > It spits out a 128kb save file (0004000000009000.gbavc_1Mb.sav)

Of course the 1MB save won't work, and when I try to run the new 1MB file back through the tool/program, it spits out an unusable 0kb save file.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Pikachu025

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, what are you actually trying to do here? Do you have a working-on-3DS save you want to convert for use on emulator or real cartridge? Vice versa?

If you just want to play the game on 3DS via VC injection, you need to patch the actual ROM, not mess with the save file -- though, I believe it has been discovered since I made this patch that the 3DS actually does support 1M saves with the correct footer, so you can try that as well.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late reply to this post (by a longshot), but I've recently come across this tool because my game was having the aforementioned save issue. I'm running the GBA VC copy of Pokemon Emerald, and despite repeated attempts to use this tool, my saves still come out to the "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage." error.

I dump my VC save with GodMode9, and I take that 64kb save file (0004000000009000.gbavc.sav) > Run it through the program @Pikachu025 created > It spits out a 128kb save file (0004000000009000.gbavc_1Mb.sav)

Of course the 1MB save won't work, and when I try to run the new 1MB file back through the tool/program, it spits out an unusable 0kb save file.

Which version of the GBA injector are you using? Iirc, the newer versions just fix this issue on their own without you having to manually patch the ROM.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

there's no need to patch the pokemon games anymore, just use NSUI beta 27 to inject the games.

Reactions: TheLegendofMario

Synonyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what are you actually trying to do here? Do you have a working-on-3DS save you want to convert for use on emulator or real cartridge? Vice versa?

If you just want to play the game on 3DS via VC injection, you need to patch the actual ROM, not mess with the save file -- though, I believe it has been discovered since I made this patch that the 3DS actually does support 1M saves with the correct footer, so you can try that as well.

I'm trying to patch a save file on my 3DS that fails to load after the Elite 4 are beaten. I'm not looking to use the save on anything but the 3DS it originated on.
And I do have the GBA rom itself patched, but I guess I missed the footer. Could you by chance link me to it if you can, please and thank you?

Which version of the GBA injector are you using? Iirc, the newer versions just fix this issue on their own without you having to manually patch the ROM.

I last used the Ultimate GBA VC Injector v1.6b.

there's no need to patch the pokemon games anymore, just use NSUI beta 27 to inject the games.

Link?

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Synonyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to tentatively say yes, but I'm not 100% sure :x
Assuming you have GM9, it's not too difficult to at least give it a shot

So it didn't work, but I don't mind playing through the whole game again, it's not a big deal.

Thanks to all of you. ☆

Reactions: Frezgle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination