OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a working solution to this problem, but here goes...

I have a 1.4 DSi and got an R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution. I put the proper firmware on from the site i bought it from, all was working well - then i think I updated using some option somewhere in the shell or game engine or something!

Now it screws up when I go into the game browser, and also when I go into the media browser and also the WiFi Engine bit, too - formatting the SD card doesn't work, and I've replaced the firmware from 1.09b (doesn't work at all) up to 1.22 (loads, but doesn't work!). Nothing below 1.16 even loads - all I get is "menu?" otherwise.

My recurring error is a black screen with the red writing "Please upgrade the hardware for support latest firmware."

Any help on this would be awesome - I've been searching for 7 hours with no luck. Lots of people posting the error (in various languages) but no common root or solution!! Is the problem something gone wrong in the R4 cart itself? Can that happen? Is there a way to access it?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boy do i
hate2.gif
hate
mad.gif
shops that say misleading bullshit like "We only sell genuine R4 cards, beware of imitations!" on the product page for a clone. it was that kind of crap that put me out $40 because i fell for it completely my first time around and bought the fastest shipping option which cost a lot more than the card itself...

to answer your question, i first have an important question, what is the URL on the packaging of the card? i can't read it from the picture on the page you linked.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Disagree. If you can find a trustworthy shop that you know has 1:1 clones (i.e. ShopTemp), it's actually one of the best/cheapest solutions out there now with WoodR4. Amazing firmware and the card only costs $6. Obviously an AK2i or a SCDS2 would be better, but some people really cheap out on this stuff.

On the actual problem, your card sounds bricked, although I'm no expert on R4 clones. There's probably a way to fix it, but since there's about 40 billion R4 clones, I doubt anyone cares enough to work on tools for it. For future reference, don't buy from r4i.co.uk (I've heard a lot of bad things) and if you must buy an R4, get a 1:1 clone at a place like ShopTemp or ndscardsale.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raven Darkheart said:
what is why you should never buy anything labeled R4
would've been great advice if i hadn't already been advised to buy an R4 by a long-time close personal friend. what's pathetic is, I even did research to choose, and to know what to expect of the card I bought. i just didn't find gbatemp until i wanted to update the cheatcode database..

QUOTE(SylvWolf @ Jun 11 2010, 07:15 PM) ^ Disagree. If you can find a trustworthy shop that you know has 1:1 clones (i.e. ShopTemp), it's actually one of the best/cheapest solutions out there now with WoodR4. Amazing firmware and the card only costs $6. Obviously an AK2i or a SCDS2 would be better, but some people really cheap out on this stuff.

On the actual problem, your card sounds bricked, although I'm no expert on R4 clones. There's probably a way to fix it, but since there's about 40 billion R4 clones, I doubt anyone cares enough to work on tools for it. For future reference, don't buy from r4i.co.uk (I've heard a lot of bad things) and if you must buy an R4, get a 1:1 clone at a place like ShopTemp or ndscardsale.
1:1 clones are great, indeed, i've made gifts of them a couple times. with included microsd's of course, preinstalled with wood and games because i love those guys.

I don't think it's bricked until he gets no response at all after loading the cartridge. Some of the R4i's have or claim to have updatable cartridge firmware (as opposed to the software Kernel)

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
foul.imp said:
My recurring error is a black screen with the red writing "Please upgrade the hardware for support latest firmware."
That's what it says when you have a pre-1.4 R4i-SDHC and try to use the firmware for the 1.4-compatible version's. Is there a yellow "1.4" spot on your cart's sticker?

If not, your cart is not compatible with a 1.4 DSi, and cannot be upgraded to work on it.

foul.imp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
exangel said:
to answer your question, i first have an important question, what is the URL on the packaging of the card? i can't read it from the picture on the page you linked.

Hi there! Yes, I'm learning the hard way! The outer packaging is http://imagecache.r4i.co.uk/images/product-12406.jpg and the card itself looks like the left hand side card on here: http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/aboute.asp#a0 (although I notice mine doesn't have a wifi badge on it!)

So it does have the 1.4 sticker on it, and it's www points to r4i-sdhc.com

Thanks ^__^

SylvWolf said:

I know, I think it may be bricked, too :/ like somehow the cartridge rolled back to pre-1.4 -- i think i'll be using shoptemp from now on!!

SylvWolf said:
I don't think it's bricked until he gets no response at all after loading the cartridge. Some of the R4i's have or claim to have updatable cartridge firmware (as opposed to the software Kernel)

I would love to think it's fixable - it does indeed seem to me like something has gone wrong on the cartridge itself as no amount of software on the sdhc card seems to help - do you know if there's a method of rewriting the cartridge firmware? Or running another update to bring it back (i'm sure it was something in th eshell that updated that made it go screwy - like the OTA wifi update.

QUOTE(injected11 @ Jun 12 2010, 03:24 AM)
That's what it says when you have a pre-1.4 R4i-SDHC and try to use the firmware for the 1.4-compatible version's. Is there a yellow "1.4" spot on your cart's sticker?

If not, your cart is not compatible with a 1.4 DSi, and cannot be upgraded to work on it.

It does have a yellow 1.4 sticker on it - and in fact it did work for a few hours perfectly! Very frustrating :/

...does anyone know a way to reset the cartridge's firmware itself? I've seen a few fixes for people running a 1.4updater on a 1.3 fw or NDSlite and that seems to fix the cartridge?

Ah well, I'll post my findings!!

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
foul.imp said:
...does anyone know a way to reset the cartridge's firmware itself? I've seen a few fixes for people running a 1.4updater on a 1.3 fw or NDSlite and that seems to fix the cartridge?

Ah well, I'll post my findings!!

wow a triple post. heavy duty. makes it much more annoying to quote from everything you've said.

Anyhow, I am not aware of any possibility of flashing *that* R4i model, I believe the only one confirmed to work is for R4i Ultra, which is what I was thinking when I saw the "U" in "Upgrade" in your first post so I'm sorry I can't offer more on that.

Unless you can find other information that actually solves your problem, I'd really recommend just getting an AK2i, and opt for pre-flashed to DSi v1.4-compatible.
I wrote a very simple guide to preparing Acekard 2i your first time, aimed to be concise and foolproof. It does include instructions on flashing it yourself, which I'd only recommend if you have convenient access to a DS Lite/Phat. If you do, it'll save you a buck or two off the Acekard 2i price to not get it pre-flashed.

SupersonicX

Trophies
XP
Country
I encountered this problem but i deleted some games on my r4 and now its working again i dont know if it will work for anyone else but try anyway good luck :)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. That was from the summer of 2010, and I think a bit of the advice I gave is outdated now.
Welcome to the temp, though.

ficarra1002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boy do i hate shops that say misleading bullshit like "We only sell genuine R4 cards, beware of imitations!" on the product page for a clone. it was that kind of crap that put me out $40 because i fell for it completely my first time around and bought the fastest shipping option which cost a lot more than the card itself...

Did you seriously pay 40$ for an R4?
The only reason R4 is good, is because you can usually get one for less than 10$.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half of that was express shipping expense, and it wasn't an original R4. but the original R4 at launch cost like $60 when it didn't have competition...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.