Playstation users with a billing address in Chicago will soon have to pay a 9% "amusement" tax.

GinOkami428

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to a recent article on Chicago's local CBS website, Sony PlayStation users with a billing address in Chicago will soon have to comply to the city's 9% "Amusement Tax" fee. The tax, which was established in 2015, is on any form of "amusement". The tax affects concerts, sporting events and even theme parks. The same tax has been applied to streaming entertainment services such as Netflix, Pandora, and Spotify; and starting on November 14, PlayStation users in the Chicago area will have to pay the same 9% tax fee charged by other entertainment providers. More information and the article can be found here: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/11/08/video-gaming-tax-chicago/ .

Reactions: Xzi and CallmeBerto

GinOkami428

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Xzi

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, even amusement aint free, but breathing is okay?

No, it is not free; this is why I get cheap laughs before the pay-per-laugh tax is initiated.

As for breathing, the US sells a variety of inhalers, so between asthma and COPD, it's just a matter of time before you have to pay up.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They bitched about their soda tax, and got it removed. I wonder if they'll do the same about this.
well just look at who their mayor is , is it really any wonder, one of those people imposed soda taxes on NYC residents too when they were in office

and do they really think this is going to help chiraq's violence problems by making it harder and more expensive for the yoofs to sit at home and be occupied playing vidya and watching movies and listening to music rather than be out on the streets gang bangin
it's almost as if they are trying to make things worse for everyone else on purpose

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In principle I have lived with variable taxes for different things my entire life and it is fairly normal.

However this I have to wonder at being some kind of softly softly backdoor "sin tax" -- don't know about Chicago/Illinois but watching the various fun and games in the US over the years and how clueless politicians try to respond...

As for the sugary drinks tax sounds more like poor execution as opposed to something doomed to failure from the outset. If you only make it a short distance for people to travel then of course people will only do the short distance. Granted with the general geography of Illinois that might be easier said than done.

Reactions: Pleng

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally think those affected by this should shit in envelopes and post them directly to who ever authorized this shit in the first place.

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is seriously taking the piss with things:rofl2: Guess they should charge cloud-watching too since it's a form of entertainment! What's next? A "happiness" tax having to pay if you are happy? Seriously people, what is wrong with the US?

How could you forget about paying "Happiness" tax for piracy and torrents? XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/mKiHdEqwh80