PlayStation reveals a new premium PlayStation 5 controller, the DualSense Edge

Opening night of Gamescom has kicked off with a dramatic reveal trailer from Sony, announcing the DualSense Edge, their take on a "pro" style controller. It promises to be highly customizable, with swappable analog sticks and back triggers. There are three different types of stick caps included with the gamepad: standard, high dome, and low dome, while the different types of analog sticks themselves will be sold separately. The two back buttons can be mapped to whichever button you prefer. For now, there are no details regarding price or launch window.

Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes Sony, I want another Dualsesne that barely looks like it's going to be better than the Dualsense instead of making more PS5s so you can get more people to buy it, Thank you.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In a game I played recently, there's two different actions that use the same button. With this controller, the issue for me is that I can't make one of the actions remain with the original button and transport the other action to a back trigger. All I can do is transport both actions to a back trigger. So, there's limited customization.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Did you hear that?
It's the people from DS4WINDOWS who are stressing out working for a new controller, and it may take a year!
Is that even necessary anymore? Haven't had any issues just connecting the controller via bluetooth and using Steam to map buttons...

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a game I played recently, there's two different actions that use the same button. With this controller, the issue for me is that I can't make one of the actions remain with the original button and transport the other action to a back trigger. All I can do is transport both actions to a back trigger. So, there's limited customization.
In theory Sony could update their firmware to support extra functions on the back buttons, but I doubt game manufacturers would follow suit; they make it to the least common denominator, which is the standard dualsense.
It's necessary for those who don't use Steam.
While I believe this is true for Windows, I'm pretty sure the linux kernel has DS4 drivers baked into it, so it works natively on Linux/SteamOS
Does it include a turbo button?
I could get behind bringing back a turbo button! save my fingers lmao

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory Sony could update their firmware to support extra functions on the back buttons, but I doubt game manufacturers would follow suit; they make it to the least common denominator, which is the standard dualsense.

While I believe this is true for Windows, I'm pretty sure the linux kernel has DS4 drivers baked into it, so it works natively on Linux/SteamOS

I can verify it is true for Windows. But I only use mine to play RPCS3, Vita3k, PCSX2, Duckstation and PPSSPP. For some reason only PPSSPP needs DS4Windows.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can verify it is true for Windows. But I only use mine to play RPCS3, Vita3k, PCSX2, Duckstation and PPSSPP. For some reason only PPSSPP needs DS4Windows.
sounds like an xinput vs direct input issue. if you're using steam as the controller driver backend, it typically translates the DS4 into xinput events (so like an xbox controller)

Reactions: krakenx

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's adorable Sony thinks it can compete with the Elite

No one needed an expensive version of an already mediocre and outdated controller design. If i'm paying a fuckton for a controller, i'll use the one that's pretty much universally compatible and actually properly thought out.

Reactions: felix.200

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No one needed an expensive version of an already mediocre and outdated controller design. If i'm paying a fuckton for a controller, i'll use the one that's pretty much universally compatible and actually properly thought out.
some people prefer the stick placement. I also don't think Microsoft has ever done a stellar D-Pad. they're a lot better than they used to be (looking at you 360), but I always preferred the D-Pad on Sony's controllers, even over Nintendo's in a lot of instances.

That being said, I absolutely prefer the stick placement on Xbox over Playstation. and the Xbox One controller at least brought over a serviceable D-Pad. For 2d platformers though, of the two, I'd go with Sony personally.

Reactions: Mayo1990

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh no cant do turbo thats called cheating now and days.

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Honestly I don't mind most controllers unless they're pure hell to use (ex. Joycons), but if I had to pick between the Xbox One controller or the Dualsense I'd pick the latter, mainly because my hand is small but my fingers are long so it feels better to hold. Except for some specific titles. For Crash Team Racing I'd rather use the Dualshock 4. For Ape Escape I'd rather play it with an Xbox controller, makes gadgets usage much more engaging to use.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks amazing, but to be honest, Sony is making the same mistake that Microsoft was doing last generation: Focusing on releasing way more controllers than games.

I've always been happy with the default controller though this "Elite" version is definitely appealing.
Microsoft's mistake last gen (beyond the godawful way they initially revealed the Xbone) was that they were focusing on accessibility, controllers and accessories, while having little to no great exclusives to really draw people in to the system. While I agree that Sony is going hard on accessories and the like with the PS5, the other side of the equation doesn't really apply, they're still releasing plenty of great "exclusive" games for the platform (exclusive in quotes because, is it truly exclusive when the majority of these games are also released on PS4?), and unlike Microsoft they didn't have to buy up a bunch of great established third party devs to be at that point, since they've fostered many great exclusive franchises for decades now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.