PlayStation reveals a new premium PlayStation 5 controller, the DualSense Edge

Opening night of Gamescom has kicked off with a dramatic reveal trailer from Sony, announcing the DualSense Edge, their take on a "pro" style controller. It promises to be highly customizable, with swappable analog sticks and back triggers. There are three different types of stick caps included with the gamepad: standard, high dome, and low dome, while the different types of analog sticks themselves will be sold separately. The two back buttons can be mapped to whichever button you prefer. For now, there are no details regarding price or launch window.

Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it’s recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you’ve found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you’ll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you’re facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Looks amazing, but to be honest, Sony is making the same mistake that Microsoft was doing last generation: Focusing on releasing way more controllers than games.

Game developers and hardware developers are different teams, ones don't interfere with others. Unless you introduce a new gimmick like the Move, the original Six Axis motion controls or Kinect and push devs to support it.

And most devs are focusing on cross platform releases right now. The PS5 sold lots but the greater market still is the PS4 and it's a lot easier to develop for this pair than was for the PS3 and PS4 in the transition period.

It's not the PS5 has few games, it has few exclusives. And that isn't necessarily bad.

sony needs to work on releasing the console before trying to cashgrab for another controller because customers are the beta testers for the development of the ps5 so they are still 2-3versions away from a legit console that was fully tested and designed.

im starting to sour on sony where they used to have my respect because their stupidity over the last 2 years

What are you talking about?

Reactions: RedColoredStars

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you hear that?
It's the people from DS4WINDOWS who are stressing out working for a new controller, and it may take a year!

New games all support Dualsense natively, DS4Windows will become a relic soon. Recent games like Cult of the lamb, Rollerdrome, Death Stranding Director's cut, Spiderman Remastered, etc all supports Dualsense. Even emulators like CEMU and Yuzu has native Dualsense supports.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that about the dualsense controller. I thought about picking one up for my PC to see if I like it better than my current controllers.

The haptics and adaptive triggers from PS5 are supported on PC, Sony even created an app for PC users to update the firmware of the Dualsense without the need for a PS5. It is a very good controller for PC, even has a trackpad to control the mouse cursor.

Dualsense is also supported on Apple's platform: iOS and Mac. If you have an iPad, you can use it to play games with it. It's worth the price for a multi-plaform controller.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The haptics and adaptive triggers from PS5 are supported on PC, Sony even created an app for PC users to update the firmware of the Dualsense without the need for a PS5. It is a very good controller for PC, even has a trackpad to control the mouse cursor.

Dualsense is also supported on Apple's platform: iOS and Mac. If you have an iPad, you can use it to play games with it. It's worth the price for a multi-plaform controller.
yeah, and on top of that, it has the drivers baked into the linux kernel as well, contributed by sony themselves. there's a few applications that let you control the adaptive triggers and other things. It really does seem like a do-it-all controller that I'd love to pick up.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some people prefer the stick placement. I also don't think Microsoft has ever done a stellar D-Pad. they're a lot better than they used to be (looking at you 360), but I always preferred the D-Pad on Sony's controllers, even over Nintendo's in a lot of instances.

That being said, I absolutely prefer the stick placement on Xbox over Playstation. and the Xbox One controller at least brought over a serviceable D-Pad. For 2d platformers though, of the two, I'd go with Sony personally.

For modern gaming it's pretty undeniable that xbox has the proper stick placement. Dpad usage in a vast majority of games is relegated to some secondary usage.

The elite actually has a solid dpad, with some interchangeable options based on preference. I've done some very high level gaming with it and had no issues. Sony controllers don't exactly have the greatest dpads either, which is even worse because that's their focus with their crap design.

Honestly I don't mind most controllers unless they're pure hell to use (ex. Joycons), but if I had to pick between the Xbox One controller or the Dualsense I'd pick the latter, mainly because my hand is small but my fingers are long so it feels better to hold. Except for some specific titles. For Crash Team Racing I'd rather use the Dualshock 4. For Ape Escape I'd rather play it with an Xbox controller, makes gadgets usage much more engaging to use.

It certainly has its uses. It being preferable for small hands seems to be the consensus, but that's arguably more the size/shape than the actual layout.

Reactions: Mayo1990

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not overly excited for this and I certanly wouldn't be cheering for it but
I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't mind having one if I had a PS5. As a steam deck owner, back triggers and being able to customize everything is a huge win in steam os/steam deck's favor so having something similar for another console is always going to be good thing. Although I find the back triggers only really necessary for PC games that require a lot of keyboard keys so idk how useful I'd find them on a console.

Playing Elden Ring on PS5 hurt my fingers because running and using at the POV camera at the same time was terrible. One extra button, maybe anywhere, would have been a relief.

Did anyone notice that Playstation is designing controllers now? Seems that it has taken over its masters.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Randy Steele

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one thing Microsoft are definitely behind on. Even the standard controller is pretty poor, certainly in comparison to Sony's.

Granted they were first with the Elite controller, but I still shocked they allow it to exist in is current flawed and fault prone state.

Hopefully this competition forces them to correct this, but looking at the standard controller, they may choose not too.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one thing Microsoft are definitely behind on. Even the standard controller is pretty poor, certainly in comparison to Sony's.

Granted they were first with the Elite controller, but I still shocked they allow it to exist in is current flawed and fault prone state.

Hopefully this competition forces them to correct this, but looking at the standard controller, they may choose not too.

tbh i ignored the feedback/issues and quality complaints because I figured you see plenty of things with amazing reviews and a minority speaking about their issues.

im on my second elite controller in a year, my first issue was a problem with the triggers after a few months. Now my second one, the left trigger does not feel smooth when pressed down as if it's pressing down on something small, and my rb and lb buttons do not work so I had to map them to my paddles.

the lb and rb press and feel normal but in game don't register, or only sometimes.

disappointed since I take good care of my things and did nothing to really cause these issues.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh i ignored the feedback/issues and quality complaints because I figured you see plenty of things with amazing reviews and a minority speaking about their issues.

im on my second elite controller in a year, my first issue was a problem with the triggers after a few months. Now my second one, the left trigger does not feel smooth when pressed down as if it's pressing down on something small, and my rb and lb buttons do not work so I had to map them to my paddles.

the lb and rb press and feel normal but in game don't register, or only sometimes.

disappointed since I take good care of my things and did nothing to really cause these issues.
I was exactly the same, after a while though, it became very evident this wasn't just a small, vocal minority, but rather a very large and common problem.

I still can't figure out why Microsoft would do this, it just doesn't make any sense, no matter which way I look at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife