PlayStation Now (NOT PSN) shutting down support for Vita, PS3, media players

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Games & Content' started by Chary, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    PS-Now-Lead.jpg

PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service which allows for subscribers to stream PS3 games to their Sony consoles is about to suffer a setback. On August 15, the company will be halting support for the PlayStation Vita, Vita TV, PS3, and any and all built-in services for things like Sony Blu-ray players, or Sony/Samsung TVs. Afterwards, PlayStation Now will only be available via PC or PS4. SCEA's statement on the matter is below.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    With everything that's been going on in the gaming scene.. This is the worst thing this year.

Zacchi4k and hoist20032002 like this.
  3. TheVinAnator

Member TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Canada
    Well then. This is not good. Never used it but interesting.

gnmmarechal likes this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    @Chary when you say halt, you mean like pause correct? Stop would mean it has no chance of return or even cancel. But halt is more like pausing or suspending. So i just was making sure.

I never used the service anyway, and i didn't know it was on PC already. :wtf:

Soon nvidia will launch their own cloud service nvidia grid on PC and maybe beat out this ps now, so i dunno, PC running PC optimized games on best system specs way better than Playstation consoles and with no need to upgrade pc? That gonna be a amazing breakthrough, i hope to see. Did anyone ever even use this? :P

5. Chary
    OP

pip
    United States
    I honestly think its almost akin to shooting themselves in the foot. Despite the small userbase, at least in the west, the Vita and PSTV are quite popular as PSNow devices, and unless Sony is changing something major up, then it's pointless to can support of these systems IMO.

EDIT: @Sonic Angel Knight It's shutting down for good, as it says in the title, sadly.

Last edited by Chary, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Since when? PS Now was laggy ass on the Vita cuz of its shit wifi chipset. Even with 80mbps I had input lag to a point that some games were unplayable.

7. Chary
    OP

pip
    United States
    PSTV has ethernet, though. PSBlog had a poll iirc, where they showed their userbase of Now subs by system usage, and Vita/Vita TV had a fair chunk of the chart.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Member Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Okay i understand now. Still i never used it, at first when playstation tv was announced, i assume it was a sony branded playstation tv that play playstation games, but it was a "Android tv, little younger cousin" lol :P

A vita you can plug into tv, which was a failure at the start, not being able to play every vita game as well as some psp games. I mean i know games like uncharted wouldn't work with the way the game plays with dumb puzzles like that one annoying light one. (spoiler you have to hold the psvita to a lightbulb to proceed) is impossible on psvita, but games that should have had support from day one needed to added in updates, and it took long time to finally play ys memories of cesestia on it.

Other than that it wasn't a TELEVISION PLAYSTATION GAME PLAYING MACHINE but it also lacked stuff like youtube, and just other apps the vita already had. (mostly using it for crackle at day one) I kept it cause it was cheap and i did already have a vita, and some games i did wanna play on tv so it was okay. (Also thanks for henkaku :) ) But i dunno how popular cloud gaming is, even they bragged about this "GAI KAI ONLINE" stuff at E3 before didn't help. :P

andremario81 likes this.
  9. Imacaredformy2ds

Banned Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Mexico
    Jesus
    3DS Support down when

10. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Addict

Portugal
    How successful has PlayStation Now been? I rarely ever read any news about it or any praise for this Netflix-like gaming service.

11. Pluupy

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Probably 2019, eight years after it's release.

The Wii was released in 2006 and it's service discontinued in 2014.

12. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    When they switched from the single game rental thing to subscription-based it's been quite successful, IIRC they announced they had a massive increase in users after they set it up that way.

But I doubt it's very large, I would imagine the number of subscribers is maybe half a million or less total (which isn't that much, compared to the ~20+ million PS+ subscribers).

13. flame1234

Member flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's the worst for Bravia owners as they had support for like 18 months only.

PS Now is a premium service - $180 $100 per year. Think Netflix for Gamefly because that's what it is. It includes all games the service carries, but only for the duration of your subscription. It carries over 300 titles, and I think all of them are PS3 titles. Lag is a problem but it should be OK for most titles on their service if you have non-satellite broadband. It has gotten favorable reviews. They want you to have a connection speed of 5 Mbps down, which most people have. There's a free trial available. You can check out the service and see if it's for you, for 7 days, for free.

For comparison:
    Netflix - $120 per year for standard (what most subscribers have)
    Amazon Prime - $100
    PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold - $45

If you want to play in the living room, you're going to need to buy that living room PC and hook it up to your TV to replicate the experience you have now, if you don't own PS4.

Last edited by flame1234, Feb 15, 2017
  14. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Err...you can buy a 1 year PS Now subscription for $100? Not sure where you got $180 from.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=IP9101-NPIA90010_01-PSNOWSUB12MO0000

15. jDSX

Member jDSX -

United States
    So psn is shutting down for the vita and ps3?
    But I still buy games for both :sad:

16. flame1234

Member flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I did not know that option was available.

17. TheVinAnator

Member TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Canada
    No, no, no! Totally different things!

jDSX likes this.
  18. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    PS Now, not PSN. PS Now is just a streaming service that streams PS3 games to various devices.

19. pikpol

Member pikpol GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I always wanted to try it, but I could never find the PS Now app for PS Vita in the PlayStation Store. So if they actually made it accessible on those devices for us, that would help grow the user base.

20. VinLark

Member VinLark Check this 5

United States
    PlayStation shutting down all of the thing that made PlayStation likable

Like poetry

Forget this post i'm an idiot

Last edited by VinLark, Feb 15, 2017