PlayStation Now adds the ability to download from its catalog of games

IMG_1538.JPG

Perhaps one of the biggest complaints of Sony's game streaming service, PlayStation Now, was the issue of having to queue up, and play games streamed over an internet connection. This caused issues like latency, and if your connection wasn't good enough, you could wind up getting booted from the game entirely. As of today, however, Sony has changed the policy on PlayStation Now, allowing for subscribers to download games directly to their PlayStation 4's hard drive. You can even play your downloaded catalog of games entirely offline, so long as you check in online once every week. This new feature works for a majority of games on the service, including the PS2-on-PS4 titles. PlayStation is planning to roll out this new change within the next few days. If you've never tried PlayStation Now, you can get a 7 day free trial, in order to test it out.

:arrow: Source

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No PS3 and still $15 a month? I'm sorry, but Xbox game pass is still the superior service to me. Sure, it may have less games than psnow, but for the price the lineup is pretty good and includes downloadable xbox 360 games. I'd much rather be able to download a game then use ps now's crappy and laggy ps3 streaming. Let ps3 games be downloadable and lower the price to match game pass's price and maybe I'll bite.

Reactions: Lumince

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Now that is really cool! While I've had the bandwidth for awhile to support it being able to download it and play it anytime I want (via a weekly check) is really cool. Might just have to sign up for this.

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So does this work with PS3 games or not? Not that I'll use it, but still curious. :P Did anyone test? Don't see much point in this if you can download everything from PSN anyways.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A very good consumer friendly choice. I like to see this from companies. Now if only they allowed cross-play...
Why do people still expect Sony to bring cross play.....

Why the fuck would Microsoft allow Sony customers to play ps4 games on Windows or Xbox when they want to gain more sales towards themselves.

Reactions: Ita54_2

ZachSZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cmon people, it's clearly only for PS2 & PS4 games, use your head. Glad to see this addition, now they just need to add a ton of PS4 games and I would consider using the service.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought PSNow was only a streaming video stream, and the servers where the one running the game, not the console acting as simple tv display.
but, if it can play completely offline, it means the console is actually running the program or emulator, and streaming only the needed files as if it was loading from a disc or hdd?

But, does that mean PS2 is emulated, PS4 is native, so PS3 is working how ? if the console is not locally capable of running PS3 games then it means there are really a remote server running the game and only streaming the picture?

That's funny to see a streaming service being changed to become locally stored and launched offline.

7 day free trial? it might be interesting, I always found the price too high even if there are many games I can't play many at once. a netflix like price would be a lot more correct.

Last edited by Cyan,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is dumb sony i just want my BOUGHT ps3 games without PSN now on my ps4 tyvm.

Reactions: Xzi

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now that's nice. And it adds the possibility of expanding to countries that have slower internet connection, like Brazil haha

D

Deleted User

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill