Hacking Playing original games on a sofmodded wii

flouri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just completed sofmodding my Wii using the excellent guide right here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/735325 that Larry made. Excellent job larry, thank you a lot, it was too easy
smile.gif

Now, my question is, what do I do if I want to play an original game on my sofmodded wii. I suppose I will have to use the original disc channel and not the backup channel. Wouldnt that initiate an update from the game (if it has one?). Is there any way to stop that?

I know I could just play a backup version and use the backup loader, but there are some games (like ssbb) that I want to play with no hickups or slowdowns (that they may have when playd by gamma loader).

Also, as a sidenot, can sb link me to a guide on how to install wiiware and vc backuped games? Thanks
smile.gif

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
original games that request updates can be played through the backup launcher as long as the needed IOS are installed, but a far better solution is to use the softmii package to mod your wii, which includes CIOScorp install and preloader install. With CIOScorp installed you will be able to play backup games via the disc channel (just like a retail game), and with preloader you can enable a "skip disc update" hack that makes it so no game will ever ask for an update, and a "region free" hack so you can play region free games. Also preloader is really good, because it can help you recover if your wii is ever bricked.

flouri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neglecting for now the softmii package (for now I want to keep the least possible things on my wii as possible)

wouldnt running an original game through the backup launcher have the same problems as running the same backuped game through the same channel? I thought the whole problem with hickups, slowdowns and whatnot was the slow reading speed that the backup launcher uses

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're on 3.2 you can use Starfall to block disc updates.

Or you can install your games on an HDD and run them through the USB Loader.

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Keeping the least possible things on your wii" is not something to be concerned with flouri. More important (if modding your wii at all) is to ensure you have some protection against bricking the wii and to ensure you have some way to recover if bricked. The softmii guide provides both these things and allows for the most elegant way to load backups.

If you are truly dedicated to keeping the least possible things on your wii don't install preloader, but don't blame me when a bad wad bricks your wii.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
Simplest solution is to install PreLoader and enable the "Skip Disc Update" hack.

An Original Disc will play at full x6 speed through a Backup Loader if I'm not mistaken.

As for Wiiware/VC games, if your familiar with WadManager, you need to find wads of whatever Wiiware/VC game you want and use wadmanager to install them. Just google "{Game Name} wad" and you should find links/torrents

Personally I would stay clear of SoftMii or any other SoftMod solution like it. Should you ever need to send your Wii for repair, you'll have alot more to clean up to avoid charges from Nintendo.

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing bad about softmii. People don't like it because it is a guide that uses a lot of different software mostly created by other people. The most sketchy part of process is the CIOScorp install, because it installs a bunch of illegal hacked IOS over the regular IOS. This is mainly to enable disc channel backup loading. If you plan on sending your wii to Nintendo at some point (but I can't imagine why you would plan on this), then you might not want to mod at all, because they are charging $220 currently for repairs on modified wiis. And if your worried about the legal implications of having illegal hacked IOS on your wii, you might not want to install CIOScorp. But if you don't care about these things, I don't see any downside to softmii. You can always remove the hacked IOS that CIOScorp installs later, by reinstalling the system menu with anyregionchanger if you want.

I can't give you the link, but if you google softmii 2.1, and click about the 7th link down (Softmii 2.1.1 released - Wii Brew -....), you should find a download link on the next page.

mhadf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To actually answer your original question (seems to be lots of people going off topic today)

YES you can play original games via backup channel/launcher. They will run at full speed as they are detected as proper versions. And they will skip the updates.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want to install all the softmii junk, then just download and install Preloader (as stated by others). It provides brick protection and you have the option to turn on many useful hacks, including "skip disc update check", which works with both originals and backups, including games played via the disc channel.

flouri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mhadf said:
To actually answer your original question (seems to be lots of people going off topic today)

YES you can play original games via backup channel/launcher. They will run at full speed as they are detected as proper versions. And they will skip the updates.

why thank you kind sir
smile.gif

I will prolly just install the preloader, but for now I am ok if I can play originals through the backup loader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
    Veho @ Veho: Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages...