Homebrew Playing DS games - TubeHax?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Any possibility of playing DS games on TubeHax in the close future?
Highly improbable. We (as in final users) still can't emulate GBA properly and it's an ARM based console too.
TubeHax/IronHax can't launch kernel exploits yet on firmwares above 9.2, so anything that relies on kernel exploits to happen won't be available to those versions.
Hypothetical solution, if hackers can get a way to patch the firmware to run a hypervisor to load the DS ROM into 3DS RAM and then redirect the "DS mode" to read it instead of the cartridge it could be done. But there's the problem that maybe this should be perma-patched into some module that's checked at 3DS boot (or reboot in case of emunand). The only guys who can give a proper answer about this scenario are the actual hackers.
BTW isn't there a gateway exploit or something that lets you play DS games on 9.2?
They put in the package a CIA that overwrites the DS mode whitelist to let folks use their R4i that's bundled with the actual Gateway cartridge. Only that.

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the cart recognized by 3DS? If it is, then it's not it being blocked by Nintendo, but a thing that a lot of r4i clones do, they have an 'expiration date' built into firmware forcing you to update. It's designed to force customers into buying newer and newer flashcards from them. Changing date on 3DS to one when it last worked CAN make it work (not always).
YEa no ..why I even tried that.. that even sounded pointless in my mind ..
-_- yes it reads ...as metroid demo and when in the game cart it pops up the joyful black screen that the cart had a error and its the latest files the site had they now no longer suppot it and this error only popped up after one of the updates you cant fix a old R4i mine is a R4i SDHC 3DS (not the rts not the 1.4 whatever ..) It will never have life again unless I find a cheap ds lite ..these r$ card are STUPID im sorry but unless the system is dead doesnt get updates and the new games dont require them this crap is pointless my card lived 1 year before the site announced they were no longer supporting on the top in a banner form and said to get ones marked with 1.4.5 or 1.4.4 I belive it was at the time .... Screw it .. and to the dude sying to buy the games ...Do you even know the hell it is to find OLDER SYTEM GAMES !!!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Highly improbable. We (as in final users) still can't emulate GBA properly and it's an ARM based console too.
TubeHax/IronHax can't launch kernel exploits yet on firmwares above 9.2, so anything that relies on kernel exploits to happen won't be available to those versions.
Hypothetical solution, if hackers can get a way to patch the firmware to run a hypervisor to load the DS ROM into 3DS RAM and then redirect the "DS mode" to read it instead of the cartridge it could be done. But there's the problem that maybe this should be perma-patched into some module that's checked at 3DS boot (or reboot in case of emunand). The only guys who can give a proper answer about this scenario are the actual hackers.

They put in the package a CIA that overwrites the DS mode whitelist to let folks use their R4i that's bundled with the actual Gateway cartridge. Only that.

Omg they can't emulate gba cause they PORTED a version to the 3DS PORTED O.O omg jesus !! SNES is more powerful then gba and was remade for the system and PROVES that alot can run if they don't take a SHORTCUT .. Where is the talented person who made the SNES emu he/she should make a gba they seem better quailfied to get it working better!!
then again I really don't care cause emulators are not why I homebrewed my things I wanted will probally never be ether finished or even made ... -_-

Satan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SNES is more powerful then gba -

Wrong, wrong wrong.

Snes :
16 bit 65c816 @ 2.68 Mhz or 3.58 Mhz,
128 kB MAIN RAM
64 kB VRAM
64 kB Audio RAM

GBA :
32 bit ARM7 @ 16Mhz
256 kB EWRAM
32 kB IWRAM
96 kB VRAM

The GBA supports every mode that existed in SNES and works in a same fashion. So basically the GBA is far more superior to the SNES. The only downside are the lack of a good audio chip (the SPC700 is really from miles away superior) and no extra hardware into the cartrdriges (no super FX, CX4, ....)

Here's a example of what the GBA was able to do. Even the SNES with superFX couldn't achieve this

(starts at 1:43)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS has the GBA hardware inside... It has both ARM7 and 9 on the board... So technically it's not emulation at all.
well the 3ds has gba mode on it two for those ambassador games that ran full speed. So you could say thats not emulation at all as well. so why does it not run full speed

Satan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
well the 3ds has gba mode on it two for those ambassador games that ran full speed. So you could say thats not emulation at all as well. so why does it not run full speed
Since the 3DS, they dropped the ARM7, so it's not anymore on the board. (still has the ARM9 of the DS though)

And as we already said on other topics, as they are sharing the same architecture, an emulator fast and efficient is not difficult to do and takes minimal amount of effort and ressources. Mainly nintendo has full access on the hardware and they could even rewrite a dynamic recompiler if needed.

Edit : The DS has even the same HW modes the GBA and SNES had (mode 0-7). Everything could be run on the ARM9 with minimal effort (reroute / rewrite calls -> HLE in a manner). ANDDD we don't have acces on ARM9 until kernel exploit.

On our side, we have user access, only one core, limited memory and set of instruction, and no way to write a dynarec because the SVC won't allow us to do that sort ot thing.

Last edited by Satan2k,

Lord Toon

Trophies
Website
lordtoon.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh how I wish my old EDGE flashcart worked on the 3DS. I enjoyed playing NeoDS with all my fav fighting games on it. It would be cool for the Homebrew Launcher to have an app to allow all flashcarts to work...//

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q