Homebrew Playing DS games - TubeHax?

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about making a homebrew app that could disable the wall of using old flashcarts? (I have Super Mario 64 DS at 117 stars and I'm not going to quit there! And my old DS broke...)

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love how every time somebody suggests something DS related, the immediate response is always "Don't be cheap, just buy a DSTwo." What about those of us who don't have that option? Like in my case where my fatherly priorities come first and I frequently don't have the money to just drop on a new Flash Cart? The consideration some people have for those of us that can't just buy whatever we want just astounds me sometimes. Yes, people with empty wallets exist.

This kind of thing is a legitimate thought that could have potential in the future. (Just look at DIOS MIOS on Wii. When Wii hacking started, nobody thought GCN loading could've been.) I mean, why isn't there a possibility of someday having a DS loader? Surely the only reason can't possibly be because Flash Carts exist. If there's a more viable reason, then I'd love to hear it. Until then, please stop shooting people down who have decent ideas.

You can either spend ~$20 on a flashcart or suffer the consequences of not pirating games from the Nintendo DS. Much like DS flashcarts never could play GBA games (without additional hardware or emulation in the case of the DSTwo), you probably aren't going to see a solution for playing DS games without a DS flashcart.

JFizDaWiz

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.ws
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love how every time somebody suggests something DS related, the immediate response is always "Don't be cheap, just buy a DSTwo." What about those of us who don't have that option? Like in my case where my fatherly priorities come first and I frequently don't have the money to just drop on a new Flash Cart? The consideration some people have for those of us that can't just buy whatever we want just astounds me sometimes. Yes, people with empty wallets exist.

This kind of thing is a legitimate thought that could have potential in the future. (Just look at DIOS MIOS on Wii. When Wii hacking started, nobody thought GCN loading could've been.) I mean, why isn't there a possibility of someday having a DS loader? Surely the only reason can't possibly be because Flash Carts exist. If there's a more viable reason, then I'd love to hear it. Until then, please stop shooting people down who have decent ideas.

if you can't afford something, especially a video game, movie, music or other WANTS then you don't deserve them.
so if you want something for free but there isn't a method currently to obtain something for free you're given the current options. in this case, buy something, can't afford it? save up. cant save up? don't play.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Never, Stop being a cheapskate. Get a dstwo for 40$ and pirate to your hearts content
LOL. Isn't pirating still being a cheapskate?

Personally, I don't understand why it's not possible. I think you should be able to jump straight into ARM-whatever (I don't remember the number, whatever the NDS processor is) mode and use the SD card as a source, with a few patches. I'm pretty sure that's similar to how the Ambassador Program games work. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, but I think the possibility is probably there.

mesenkomaha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it will happen eventually. Since the 3ds can run DS carts natively it seems natutral to assume that some talented developer will figure out how to get .nds roms to boot from a sd card. If not, I'd love to hear the technical reasons why it isn't possible.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm sure it will happen eventually. Since the 3ds can run DS carts natively it seems natutral to assume that some talented developer will figure out how to get .nds roms to boot from a sd card. If not, I'd love to hear the technical reasons why it isn't possible.

Probably the same reason why .3ds roms can't be booted from SD card. It's a matter of no one having been able to do it yet (publicly at least).
However that's not all though. Even if someone can do that, there still has to be enough permissions to do it depending on how it's made. And so, it's much more likely for that to happen in exploitable firmware than in any others.

ils411

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you can't afford something, especially a video game, movie, music or other WANTS then you don't deserve them.
so if you want something for free but there isn't a method currently to obtain something for free you're given the current options. in this case, buy something, can't afford it? save up. cant save up? don't play.

was just browsing through and read this and just had to reply...

Just coz someone can't afford something doesn't mean that that person doesn't deserve that thing which he or she wants.
What makes you better than that other guy? you have more money? you can afford more stuff than the other guy? please, not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

by your logic, people in Africa who are starving don't deserve to eat coz they can't afford to buy food.
the thousands of children dying all around the world due to sickness and malnutrition DONT DESERVE to Live coz they cant afford it.
you can argue need vs want but.. THEY WANT TO LIVE! HENCE, THEY NEED TO EAT AND GET MEDICAL ATTENTION!

Those poor children deserve to have all the basic needs to survive and they also deserve to have and enjoy the other non-necessities in life.
EVERYONE DESERVES TO ENJOY LIFE THROUGH ANY NEEDS AND WANTS! Everyone deserves to live and experience life, because after all that's said and done, we all have but one life and enjoying it in any means we deem fit is our right..it is not a privilege, it is EVERYONEs RIGHT!

And no, I am not pro piracy. but I will not judge those who do pirate. many will say that piracy is stealing and is costing the developers and manufacturers and publishers millions and millions of dollars. Bull Crap! Most of those who pirate wouldn't even buy the game in the first place coz they has no moneyz to spare to buy the damn games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel you man. I'm in the same boat, school tuitions, bills, baby formula, diapers, etc leaves my wallet empty all the time. In fact, I'm always in the negative and have to go find some extras on the side just to make ends meet every month.

My 3ds which I got off of a great bargain has been collecting dust for 3 months now... was gonna buy games for it but expenses just keeps on pilling up.

Luckily for me that I have a PS Vita and was able to buy a butt load of games that were on sale on psn when I was still financially in a better position..I tell you, some psn deals are insane! sure, they're far and in between but when it rains good deals it pours!

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
LOL. Isn't pirating still being a cheapskate?

Personally, I don't understand why it's not possible. I think you should be able to jump straight into ARM-whatever (I don't remember the number, whatever the NDS processor is) mode and use the SD card as a source, with a few patches. I'm pretty sure that's similar to how the Ambassador Program games work. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, but I think the possibility is probably there.
To my eyes the way gba games and nds games are executed , they re very similar except nds having more features.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just coz someone can't afford something doesn't mean that that person doesn't deserve that thing which he or she wants.
What makes you better than that other guy? you have more money? you can afford more stuff than the other guy? please, not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

by your logic, people in Africa who are starving don't deserve to eat coz they can't afford to buy food.
the thousands of children dying all around the world due to sickness and malnutrition DONT DESERVE to Live coz they cant afford it.
you can argue need vs want but.. THEY WANT TO LIVE! HENCE, THEY NEED TO EAT AND GET MEDICAL ATTENTION!

Those poor children deserve to have all the basic needs to survive and they also deserve to have and enjoy the other non-necessities in life.
EVERYONE DESERVES TO ENJOY LIFE THROUGH ANY NEEDS AND WANTS! Everyone deserves to live and experience life, because after all that's said and done, we all have but one life and enjoying it in any means we deem fit is our right..it is not a privilege, it is EVERYONEs RIGHT!

And no, I am not pro piracy. but I will not judge those who do pirate. many will say that piracy is stealing and is costing the developers and manufacturers and publishers millions and millions of dollars. Bull Crap! Most of those who pirate wouldn't even buy the game in the first place coz they has no moneyz to spare to buy the damn games.

I feel you man. I'm in the same boat, school tuitions, bills, baby formula, diapers, etc leaves my wallet empty all the time. In fact, I'm always in the negative and have to go find some extras on the side just to make ends meet every month.

My 3ds which I got off of a great bargain has been collecting dust for 3 months now... was gonna buy games for it but expenses just keeps on pilling up.

Luckily for me that I have a PS Vita and was able to buy a butt load of games that were on sale on psn when I was still financially in a better position..I tell you, some psn deals are insane! sure, they're far and in between but when it rains good deals it pours!

After having read only a chunk of that post, I'll say this, your comparison sucks. Equating playing video games to something required to live such as eating personally makes me sick. If you can't afford a hobby, it might be time to re-evaluate your priorities. No one ever claimed video games are a cheap hobby. If you're pirating for other reasons...well that's another conversation entirely. You will not, however you slice it, die from not playing video games though. Kids these days need to learn that there's a very clear line between wants and needs.

Last edited by dubbz82,

AshleyCummings

Gamer Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wifi R4i 3ds sdhc and it got blocked and no longer works nor is being updated so don't go saying anything will work !!
After 4.5.0 Nintendo didn't block a single DS flashcart. So practically anything you can buy nowadays WILL work. r4i-sdhc for example works fine (I have it personally)

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Video games are luxuries they aren't necessary. No one deserves anything that's not a necessity whether they can afford it or not. If you can't spend $9 to get a flash cart (which is much cheaper than just paying for the games) then you don't get to play them. You aren't entitled to something just because you want it. Comparing this to not having food or medicine is ridiculous.

Reactions: 4ur0r

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Video games are luxuries they aren't necessary. No one deserves anything that's not a necessity whether they can afford it or not. If you can't spend $9 to get a flash cart (which is much cheaper than just paying for the games) then you don't get to play them. You aren't entitled to something just because you want it. Comparing this to not having food or medicine is ridiculous.
I find it extremely ironic that you're using this logic in regards to a device used for piracy.

Reactions: Margen67

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it extremely ironic that you're using this logic in regards to a device used for piracy.
I was just annoyed because his logic was pretty disgusting (him not being able play video games = people starving). I wasn't trying to say that anyone deserves because they bought a flash cart. Just that if you can't afford the lowest barrier to entry you don't get to play.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a wifi R4i 3ds sdhc and it got blocked and no longer works nor is being updated so don't go saying anything will work !!
Is the cart recognized by 3DS? If it is, then it's not it being blocked by Nintendo, but a thing that a lot of r4i clones do, they have an 'expiration date' built into firmware forcing you to update. It's designed to force customers into buying newer and newer flashcards from them. Changing date on 3DS to one when it last worked CAN make it work (not always).

LIsReal24012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You don't deserve something for free just because you can't afford it. Do I deserve a new car because I don't have enough money to buy it? No I don't and I don't expect someone to give it to me for free either. You made a choice to have children, no one did that for you, so why are other people obligated to give you something for free because of that? If I couldn't afford $10 extra dollars the last thing I would be doing is complaining on a forum about it.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yah i was only talking about games, music and movies. and only those. dunno where africa or food came into play

oh...joined 2 days ago. troll

People get EXTREMELY enthusiastic in slamming on anyone they perceive as pirating here and wield the most impressively clumsy metaphors possible. It's not just new people.

I don't think anyone's going to make something to emulate a DS flashcart on a 3DS, though. We're fairly limited on what we can access in usermode and even with permissions above that, most of what we have available is fairly simple.

NAND redirection is awesome and impressive, though. I miss having that.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the same reason why .3ds roms can't be booted from SD card. It's a matter of no one having been able to do it yet (publicly at least).
However that's not all though. Even if someone can do that, there still has to be enough permissions to do it depending on how it's made. And so, it's much more likely for that to happen in exploitable firmware than in any others.

Thinking like a true unix pro.

Ifyou can't afford a 3ds, or ds, flashcard...........how the hell were you able to get a 3ds/3dsxl/n3ds/n3dsxl and still complain about wanting a free solution. Those systems aren't cheap either.......

On the topic of people forcing the dstwo option, its just the best there is. Its just an option. Choose what you can afford if its not within your price range.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...instead of getting in the argument, im just gonna side with Joostin, im a firm beliver of never say its impossible until its impossible.

Im sure that devs can, when they arent busy and are willing, come together and poke around to see what we can do. Honestly we've only scratched the surface in 3DS Homebrew and Hacking, so lets come together and see what we can do

Satan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

You both are an ass. Your comparison sucks...

I'm a dad too, I'm broken too, but guess what? I put money aside, and sometimes i can afford to buy a game, and maybe second handed. That doesn't really matter if I have to wait for 5 years. Lastly I just had the chance to have an original copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on wii for 10€.

Because you're broken doesn't mean poeple have to produce for you tools to pirate things. If you can't afford it, find a way yourself. And poeple doesn't give a shit if you have to buy a linker or make a hack to do it.

That's mainly why we can't have decent homebrew going on because poeple always beg for pirated games...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next