Hacking Planning to update to 4.1. How to clean my Wii from all the hacking?

clickclick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am on version 3.2u.

I am about to purchase Wii Sports Resorts tomorrow and I have decided to forego homebrews and hacks for a while because I figured I am not planning to buy too many games in the future so I don't want to risk bricking my Wii.

I will probably get back into it down the line when everything is more stable, but for now I want to clean up everything and just install the 4.0 update straight from Nintendo.

Is there a specific way to remove things, or do I just delete the homebrew channel? Would it be possible to update and erase everything while still keeping a a Virtual Console .wad as an app....?

Thank you,

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to get back to square one, you need to do the following:

Remove the HBC (using bannerbomb, bootmii, remove HBC)

Update using Nintendo's update

Afterward, use the Wii format function

When you reboot after format, you'll be greeted with the original Wii setup process you may remember when you first purchased it. You will not loose your purchased VC games if you do not remove your shopping account before this process (you can redownload). If you have pirated VC games, you will loose them all obviously.

I have done this on a few wii consoles that needed to get back to "out of the box" condition, and it works just fine.

clickclick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
If you want to get back to square one, you need to do the following:

Remove the HBC (using bannerbomb, bootmii, remove HBC)

Update using Nintendo's update

Afterward, use the Wii format function

When you reboot after format, you'll be greeted with the original Wii setup process you may remember when you first purchased it. You will not loose your purchased VC games if you do not remove your shopping account before this process (you can redownload). If you have pirated VC games, you will loose them all obviously.

I have done this on a few wii consoles that needed to get back to "out of the box" condition, and it works just fine.

Good stuff, I guess I will do this... I will miss the .wads the most. Old school Mario and all of that, but I am confident a stable solution will be offered down the line. And by stable I just mean something that I can easily understand the instructions and feel confident in installing on my Wii.

clickclick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Under remove HBC, you wrote bannerbomb, bootmii, or remove HBC.

That last option, do you mean I can just delete the channel or is there an actual application called remove HBC, 'cuz I can't find it! lol

clickclick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another follow-up question, is it safe to keep .wads if I don't want to go online with my Wii?

Can a forced update from a disc brick my Wii just because of a few VC .wads?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can keep wads installed if you wish....whether you go online or not. The update or even connecting to the shopping channel will not affect them. When I spoke about removing the HBC, I meant to run bannerbomb and load bootmii from that, then use the uninstall function to remobve the HBC. This will remove all traces and the ticket. If you have VC games that you want to keep installed, skip the format option. I just figured you wanted to go to factory fresh...that is where format would be something you want to do after the Nintendo update. If you want to be "legit" so to speak, you would want to perform the method I spoke of above.

If you want to remove the HBC but keep the current installed (non-purchased) wads, just remove the hbc like I said above, do the Nintendo update...and thats it. You'll have a fresh system aside from the pirate wads you already have installed.

BTW, what do you mean by "stable"? My system is as stable as any other, and I can install and remove wads at will..as well as play backups or originals if I wish. Can't ask for more stable than that!

clickclick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
You can keep wads installed if you wish....whether you go online or not. The update or even connecting to the shopping channel will not affect them. When I spoke about removing the HBC, I meant to run bannerbomb and load bootmii from that, then use the uninstall function to remobve the HBC. This will remove all traces and the ticket. If you have VC games that you want to keep installed, skip the format option. I just figured you wanted to go to factory fresh...that is where format would be something you want to do after the Nintendo update. If you want to be "legit" so to speak, you would want to perform the method I spoke of above.

If you want to remove the HBC but keep the current installed (non-purchased) wads, just remove the hbc like I said above, do the Nintendo update...and thats it. You'll have a fresh system aside from the pirate wads you already have installed.

BTW, what do you mean by "stable"? My system is as stable as any other, and I can install and remove wads at will..as well as play backups or originals if I wish. Can't ask for more stable than that!

Thanks for the reply,

I guess stable is the wrong word to use, but the first time I ever did this homebrew stuff was back in November. It was fairly simple. I stopped following the releases, fixes and updates, especially after Nintendo released the 4.0 update.

The instructions on upgrading to 4.0 while keeping Homebrew and everything else are pretty confusing to me, a few links that people give me seem to have bricked some people's Wii.

So I figured that the only games I am really looking forward too are Wii Sports Resort, Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Another M. So I thought I'd just save myself the headache of trying to understand everything and just update legit.

So again just to make sure, as long as I don't go online and don't care about having a "factory fresh" Wii, I can use Nintendo's forced disc updates, keep the VC wads I have on there, and not worry about bricking my Wii?

hahah I just want the 2D Marios and Sonics on there... I'll just buy them if I can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8