Hacking Homebrew Planning on buying a PSP Slim

neo_hito

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
exsphere.net
XP
Country
Its a bit of a disaster for games that do use R2 and L2 buttons though.
Especially for flight sims like Ace combat 2 & 3 (for rudder control).
And no right stick means no free look!

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Its a bit of a disaster for games that do use R2 and L2 buttons though.
Especially for flight sims like Ace combat 2 & 3 (for rudder control).
And no right stick means no free look!

That's true, but considering the quantity of games you can actually played unaffected by control issues, it's a pretty good thing to be able to play PSX games.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And Ace Combat X>>> 2+3. And X was made for psp, so no wierd controls.

Silent Hill and Vagrant Story, Civ2 and azure deams are on my stick now... can you say made of win?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
you can actually buy a psp with the custom firmware already installed on it without doing anything, thats what i am doing, because i don't understand any of this battery installation stuff, i would probably end up bricking the thing if i did it myself.

neo_hito

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
exsphere.net
XP
Country
XD a bit off topic but gotta say... ace combat 3 (japanese version, 2 disc) was the first ever game I got on the PSX. Quite awesome with its futuristic plane designs, anime styled cinematics and fmv.
Pretty disappointed at what crap it came to the US shores as.
I name my gadgets with the planes' code names
biggrin.gif
(delphinus, remora, orcinus, night raven)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat_3
http://namco-ch.net/acecombat3/index.php

Icarus

fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can actually buy a psp with the custom firmware already installed on it without doing anything, thats what i am doing, because i don't understand any of this battery installation stuff, i would probably end up bricking the thing if i did it myself.
I think that would be too expensive because they always sell modded consoles way too expensive. I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible since I'm pretty much broke[yeah I'm broke and I'll buy a PSP. Just great xD]

BTW, I didn't understand what Knab said about Magic Memory Stick =/ Can't I just use a regular memory stick with PSP ?

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country

I think that would be too expensive because they always sell modded consoles way too expensive. I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible since I'm pretty much broke[yeah I'm broke and I'll buy a PSP. Just great xD]

BTW, I didn't understand what Knab said about Magic Memory Stick =/ Can't I just use a regular memory stick with PSP ?

In order to install a custom Firmware to the PSP Slim, you will need two things. A Pandora Battery and A Pandora Memorystick. In order to make these, you will need to have a PSP with the ability to run homebrew. Or you could spend some more cash and buy those already made.

You can´t use a brand new storebought PSP Slim to make the tools necessary in order to install Custom Firmwares on it.

Icarus

fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just one question then. When you turn your battery into a Pandora Battery, can you turn it back into a regular battery ? Or is it going to stay as a Pandora Battery forever ?

What about the Memory Stick ? Do you have to change it back into regular MS or something ?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country

the magic memory stick is just another tool to mod your psp, just like the pandora battery
what the pandora battery does is put your psp into service mode so you can run the firmware installed onto your memory stick
the memory stick is just a regular memstick but it has been modified slightly to hold the incomplete 1.5fw
after you finished downgrading and have upgraded to a custom firmware just format the memstick and you can use it as a regular one.
the pandora battery has to be replaced by another battery however since you cant play games with your psp if you keep it as such

also, if you manually change your battery into a pandora battery by changing the "firmware" (for lack of a better word) on the battery. when you finished then you can restore it to normal provided you backed up your battery's flash file before changing it to a pandora battery

here is a nice tutorial that is very detailed

http://forums.qj.net/f-guides-hacks-homebr...ery-118799.html

hope i was of any help

Icarus

fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot xcalibur, you were more than a help !! I didn't know PSP scene was this complicated. I really need to invest a lot of money and time on this and I guess I should find someone in NY area to help me out with the modding. Hope I can find someone.

I really want a PSP and there's no turning back now. As soon as I get some money on my hands, I'll start this thing.

Thanks a lot again everyone !!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that I'll have to buy a PSP once the KH game has a firm date for US/English release... But it's good to read about this stuff. So basically, if I bought a PSPSlim today, I'd need to downgrade to 1.5, put on custom firmware, and I'd be good to go? Oh, and I'd need this Pandora Battery.

As far as the analog control, I wonder if anyone has thought of a way of using the usb and could jerry-rig a PS controller to it? Crazy, but oh well.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I know that I'll have to buy a PSP once the KH game has a firm date for US/English release... But it's good to read about this stuff. So basically, if I bought a PSPSlim today, I'd need to downgrade to 1.5, put on custom firmware, and I'd be good to go? Oh, and I'd need this Pandora Battery.

As far as the analog control, I wonder if anyone has thought of a way of using the usb and could jerry-rig a PS controller to it? Crazy, but oh well.
Nope. You can't downgrade the Slim PSP to 1.5, Physically the hardware doesn't allow that. You just install custom firmware straight from pandoras battery iirc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now