Planning on buying a PSP Slim

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Icarus, Nov 27, 2007.

Nov 27, 2007

Planning on buying a PSP Slim by Icarus at 3:32 AM (2,198 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. Icarus
    OP

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Hey guys;

Since PSPs are getting much cheaper, I think I'm going to buy one after Christmas or so. But I was wondering, do you think it's better to buy a PSP Slim now? Besides the size/weight, I believe it has a better memory which makes the loading times shorter. Is it also going to have an effect on homebrew scene ?

- Before all of those though, can you actually play backup games on PSP Slim like you can on a regular PSP ?

- What's the downsides of playing backups on a PSP ? Does online work just fine ?

- Do people still have to use FW 1.5 to play backup games ? What's with all those hacked firmwares ?

- Would a 2GB card be enough for playing backup games ?

I really want to get into the PSP Scene soon since I never had one. I don't wanna rush myself either since I still have tons of games that I have to play on my DS. So after Xmas would be a good time to buy one I guess. What's your suggestions ?

2. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The more memory wouldn't affect loading times if you are running ISOs, because the loading times are already incredibly more faster. That only really effects UMD based games.

You can play backups and homebrew on the PSP slim, the only problem is there is no 1.5 kernel support. This means some older homebrew may not work, but most does and the homebrew that does not is being ported over to a 3.XX type of kernel. So in basic terms, yes, but very little homebrew will be incompatible. But ISOs run fine.

There is no downside to playing ISOs. Everything works.

Custom firmware on the PSP is basically just the most recent firmware and 1.5 mixed together, so you can play all games, as well as homebrew capabilities. So you get all the perks of having above 1.5(Web browser, PS3 connectivity, RSS reader) while having the same ISO loaders and homebrew capability. On the slim it is a different story though. There is no way to put 1.5 on the slim though, so the only way you will be able to play ISOs and homebrew is a custom firmware. 3.71 M33 is the latest.

A 2GB card is more then enough, and if you are a member of the DS flashcart scene, I recommend this product. It makes microSD usable on a PSP, its awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WK-Memory-Stick-MS-Pro...VQQcmdZViewItem

I suggest getting one. Having both is nice, the PSP really does not compete at all with the DS in retail games, but the DS' homebrew capabilities are a joke compared to the PSPs. To downgrade a slim though you will need a homebrew enabled phat psp, so hopefully you have a friend who has one(You can find services online for this though).

3. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the quick reply MR_COW.

I'm not a homebrew freak and I think higher memory will be useful sometime in the future so I guess it's better to go with the Slim. It's the same price as the phat ones anyway..

I just looked up dealextreme and 2gb cards are just 20 bucks. My MicroSD is only 1 gig so I'll just keep it for DS.

What is it about downgrading though? Why do I need someone with a Phat for that? I can't do it by myself ? I really don't have anyone around me to do that stuff =/

4. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    You need Pandoras battery to downgrade a PSP Slim, and the easiest way is to make on using a homebrew enables psp phat.
    I believe Datel makes a "Tool Battery" which does the same thing.

5. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you cant really downgrade a psp slim as of now theres 2 CFW for it, the 3.60m33 and the 3.71m33 and the update for 3.71m33( 3.71m33-2 ). you can only install the 2 CFW.

downgrading more refers to the phat, most the times you would downgrade a psp phat to 1.5 then install CFW.

also i would try to get a 4gb card or the adapter mr_cow was talking about. having a 2gb card is kinda limiting. some iso's even compressed still run over a gb(logan's shadow).

6. Icarus
    OP

United States
    So can I just install one of those Custom firmwares right away after I take the PSP out of the box? If so, that would be good because I want to play backups right away.

Aslo, are there any games that are more than 2 gigs ? 4 gig cards are around 65-70 bucks which is just too much for me. I think PSP has 2 card slots so would 2x2gb be enough?

7. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    No, you can't install right away, unless you already have the pandora battery and the required MemStick files.

PSP only has one MemStick slot. I also recommend 4GB. With 2GB you probably won't be able to fit more than 4 or 5 commercial games. It depends on the size of the isos, they range from 100MB to just over 1GB . And PS1 games converted to EBOOTs are usually 500-700MB.
    I don't think I've seen any 2GB games yet.

8. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Argh damn. I guess I have no choice but to buy the Datel Tool Battery thing =/

This all the PSP thing is going to be more costy than I've thought. Lets seeee, 170 for the PSP, 70 for the 4gb MS and 25 for the battery, That's like $265 all together !!

9. Samutz

United States
    I ended up investing around $400 on mine.
    $200 for the Slim bundle (Daxter, Family Guy, and 1GB MS included)$
    $60 for a 4GB MS
    $40 for express fedex shipping to [M] and back (see this link)
    $60 sent along with the PSP so [M] could buy me a spare battery that I could keep and use on other PSPs. The left over cash was for him to keep for doing the work for me.

I could have saved a lot if I could find someone that had a hacked phat, but I practically live in the middle of a desert.

I did originally try ordering a tool battery, but they (Codejunkies) had my order status on "Out of Stock" for about a week, so I tried to cancel and decided to send the PSP to [M] instead. They didn't process my cancellation until 3 months later. So if you do buy one, get it from somewhere else.

10. Jaejae

New Zealand
    I am considering one only because of the ability to play PS1 games..... FFVIII on the move ftw.

11. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Damn Samutz, that's a lot of money. I'm not getting any bundles since I'll be buying a 4gb card anyway. I'll try to keep the cost as low as possible. I guess I won't be using any UMDs with my PSP [​IMG]

I want to try my luck with CodeJunkies. I am living in New York but I don't know anyone that has a PSP[or an hacked PSP Phat, in this case xD] Soooo yeah, that's a big issue.

@Jaejae: That's one of the reasons I'm buying it also. But how exactly do you use L2 and R2? I think you can assign them to Analog stick but that would still be hard for some games.

12. Samutz

United States
    New York City? Or just New York state?
    If you live in a large city, you're bound to be able to find someone, or someone that knows someone, etc.

L1 and L2 are assigned to the analog stick by default. You can choose between 4 different configurations.

13. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Yeah New York City. I'm like the only person that play backup games here, all other people I know buy their games. That makes it hard for me to talk to them about modchips or flashcarts.

But anyway, I guess I'll have to figure something out. I don't think Sony is going to make PSP any cheaper now so it wouldn't hurt to buy one now. Maybe I'll run into some crazy deal since Christmas is very close.

BTW Thanks a lot for the answers, especially Samutz =]

14. Jaejae

New Zealand
    You don't really need R2/L2 in FFVIII anyway, unless you are running from a battle.

15. Icarus
    OP

United States
    You know, there are other games on PSX than FF8 xD

16. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    im wondering about dual analog controls
    or were they not implemented in the ps1?

17. Icarus
    OP

United States
    Analogs are optional in PSX games. Since the original PSX used to come without an Analog controller, most of the games just used it as an option or didn't use it at all.

18. Samutz

United States
    And the ones that did use it usually didn't use the right stick, and the left stick was usually the same function as the d-pad, but with analog sensitivity.

You can swap the d-pad and analog nub for main control, but I don't think it actually uses the analog sensitivity.

19. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i would also like to mention that you need a hacked psp to make the magic memory stick, or you could buy the Magic memory stick and the pandora battery as a set off ebay.

or if you trust someone you could have them make the files for the magic memory stick and send them to you

20. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whoa wait... I didnt know you could play PSX games on a modded PSP... You can really play FF7????