Piracy...

Do you believe the image portrays the Piracy viewpoint?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'm click this, just to click things.

• Total voters

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
At least you're being honest..?
z1fMX.jpg

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
Waflix said:
cwstjdenobs said:
Waflix said:
^ I would could that person a borrower.

You know, lending them is just as illegal as uploading them. Serious.

Why? When you upload a game, multiple copies will be spread, more than a thousand people can use the game, and the creators of the game will earn nothing.
When you lend a game, there is only 1 copy, and 1 player can use at a time, and the creators will earn the price of 1 times the game for 1 game.

Not saying I agree but it just is as far as the law is concerned. So is selling second hand games. Actually that's probably technically worse as you are doing it for money.

Well until you get onto civil cases, but I've always felt that criminal law > civil law...

To put it simple.
If you pirate a game, it is theft. If you buy a game first-hand it is OK, because the company is earning money. When you sell it (now second-hand) to another person, it can be seen as theft towards the company, because they've earned the money for one gaming experience instead of two. Is that what you mean?
If that's what you think, I have understanding for that. But I think it's nothing bad because there is only one copy, and that one copy is the property of one player. It's not theft to anyone. The company sells physical stuff, not mental. And you can only pay for physical.
If that's not what you think, what do you think?

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
i am a pirate myself
tongue.gif

i don't see a reason to buy games ourself when we can download it for free !

BTW does dumping or uploading a game make someone a pirate ?

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wasim said:
i am a pirate myself
tongue.gif

i don't see a reason to buy games ourself when we can download it for free !

BTW does dumping or uploading a game make someone a pirate ?

Yes:
QUOTE(Jan1tor @ Aug 4 2011, 12:35 AM) pirate (?pa?r?t) n 1. a person who commits piracy 2. a. a vessel used by pirates b. ( as modifier ): a pirate ship 3. a person who illicitly uses or appropriates someone else's literary, artistic, or other work 4. a. a person or group of people who broadcast illegally b. ( as modifier ): a pirate radio station

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I buy games. I have a job. I pre-order titles all the time. DS, PS3, PSP. I refuse to buy used games, unless it's a part of a very successful franchise. Oh, and if it's rare. However, even in those cases, if I truly want to support the developer, I buy it new (Within the first month of release). I think buying a used product is even worse than piracy, because you're willing to pay for the game, but none of that money goes to the devs or the publishers.

I still download PSP games, because I don't want to deal with UMD.

I still buy UMD despite disliking the format. If I don't buy it, I don't bother downloading the title either. I just like physical copies.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Waflix said:
To put it simple.
If you pirate a game, it is theft. If you buy a game first-hand it is OK, because the company is earning money. When you sell it (now second-hand) to another person, it can be seen as theft towards the company, because they've earned the money for one gaming experience instead of two. Is that what you mean?
If that's what you think, I have understanding for that. But I think it's nothing bad because there is only one copy, and that one copy is the property of one player. It's not theft to anyone. The company sells physical stuff, not mental. And you can only pay for physical.
If that's not what you think, what do you think?

I am going by my understanding of UK copyright law, the country where ripping a CD to your PC is illegal, but I do believe it's quite similar to US law in this case. Acquiring a pirated game is not illegal. Distributing it is. So if I borrowed a game off of a friend I would be OK but they would be breaking the law, I buy a second hand game I am in the clear and it is the store breaking the law, I dl a copy from a direct download site I am not breaking the law but the hosting service or/and? the person who uploaded it are. Obviously you might be breaking the "anti circumvention" provisions of the EUCD or DMCA if you actually install mods/cracks to play them. If you torrent you are uploading it too so are breaking the law.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
I am going by my understanding of UK copyright law, the country where ripping a CD to your PC is illegal, but I do believe it's quite similar to US law in this case. Acquiring a pirated game is not illegal. Distributing it is. So if I borrowed a game off of a friend I would be OK but they would be breaking the law, I buy a second hand game I am in the clear and it is the store breaking the law, I dl a copy from a direct download site I am not breaking the law but the hosting service or/and? the person who uploaded it are. Obviously you might be breaking the "anti circumvention" provisions of the EUCD or DMCA if you actually install mods/cracks to play them. If you torrent you are uploading it too so are breaking the law.

Huh? Aren't up- and downloading ROMs both illegal? If not; why not?
And I just can't seem to understand why second hand games are illegal. There is one copy, there stays one copy and only one person is the owner of the copy.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Waflix said:
Huh? Aren't up- and downloading ROMs both illegal? If not; why not?

Because the one distributing it without the license owners permission is the one breaking the law. Think of it like a pirate radio station. It's not illegal to tune in and listen, but the people transmitting would have the FCC and the rights owners to deal with.

QUOTEAnd I just can't seem to understand why second hand games are illegal. There is one copy, there stays one copy and only one person is the owner of the copy.

Because you don't buy the physical copy, you buy a license and the physical copy comes with that. And that license prohibits lending, copying, and re-selling. Even giving it away. It is non transferable.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.

Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.

Adapt the work.
By downloading, an extra copy is made in the world, therefore it's illegal.

However, as most people know, they rarely go after downloaders, the only bother with uploaders.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Pi said:
QUOTE said:
It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Yes but you aren't subject to the license until you have a copy to begin with. It is the person making it available who is breaking the law. It's how come FACT had to pull all their "Downloading is theft" and "Downloading is a crime" ads.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
Because you don't buy the physical copy, you buy a license and the physical copy comes with that. And that license prohibits lending, copying, and re-selling. Even giving it away. It is non transferable.
And that's the fucking bullshit. A. Fucking. Licence. Publishers sell licences, not games. I need permission to play anything. I'd just sell the physical copy and keep the licence, but no, that hurts the publisher even worse than piracy.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
The Pi said:
QUOTE said:

Copy the work.

Yes but you aren't subject to the license until you have a copy to begin with. It is the person making it available who is breaking the law. It's how come FACT had to pull all their "Downloading is theft" and "Downloading is a crime" ads.
"Downloading is theft" yes is untrue, (see my first post in this thread)

"Downloading is a crime" is however, true. The uploader allowed the copying to take place but it is the downloader who makes the copy. Both break the law.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this generation justifies piracy more than any other. with the wii, I would've been pissed to buy the system only to have one or two good games release a year. I mean who buys a dvd or bluray player just to have it sit and do nothing for months at a time??? with the 360 and ps3, the laziness of developers is just staggering. do they even test games anymore or do they just rely on patches to fix any problems? r consumers now the testers??? dlc=wtf??? sure, u may not have to buy dlc, but if u don't, u'll feel like ur missing out on something others rn't. how would u feel if u bought a dvd or bluray disc only to find that u have to pay extra for added features like commentary or alternate endings??? plus, what is the deal with dlc that's already on the disc!? these r the reasons I pirate. besides, renting a game and buying used is equivalent to piracy in the eyes of developers since they don't earn a single penny. now, games r nothing more than an FU inside a shiny case. :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay