Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Amazing, I was just thinking about this today. Basically, if everyone was a pirate, then EVERY software company would go out of business and all we would have left is homebrew. I find it amazing when people tell all their friend about the R4 or WiiKey or whatever. If you have a good thing going, just keep it to yourself. This life raft can hold only so many people. If we keep helping people on board, we're all sunk.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cruddybuddy said:
Amazing, I was just thinking about this today. Basically, if everyone was a pirate, then EVERY software company would go out of business and all we would have left is homebrew. I find it amazing when people tell all their friend about the R4 or WiiKey or whatever. If you have a good thing going, just keep it to yourself. This life raft can hold only so many people. If we keep helping people on board, we're all sunk.

damn now I know why your user name is "cruddybuddy" lol

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cruddybuddy said:
We're sunk already. Just wait and see what happens with Nintendo's next handheld system. Its gonna be a REAL bitch to pirate.

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Renegade_R said:
cruddybuddy said:
We're sunk already. Just wait and see what happens with Nintendo's next handheld system. Its gonna be a REAL bitch to pirate.

Well good, I hope it is. Then we can weed out the casual pirates so those of us willing to brave the storm can sail on.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see next nintendo system being hard to pirate. I reckon the days of just getting a flash card and you are ready to go being gone , but hard to pirate , I just don't see. All they can really do is add more security , at most I see a new handheld from them needing a mod chip like most of the home consoles do , which is hardly the end of world. Just a little bit more effort.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Renegade_R said:
cruddybuddy said:

Any cartridge based system will be easy to pirate, Nintendo have been suffering from piracy/backup units since the NES. There was a unit called the Turbo Venus or something similar that was like a WildCard for the NES, I think it was even made by Bung, that sat in the cartridge port and you hooked up a 3.5" floppy to it. Piracy is big money so there's always a company out there looking to create the next chip or flashcart.

Anti-piracy measures don't usually stop people either, there's been some damned good ones out there but there's always a cracker out their wanting to prove their smarter than the copy protection people. Hell, Microsoft spent an absolute fortune on XBox360 security and it was cracked pretty damned fast.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Jaejae said:
I get pissed off when people take the moral highground on piracy, just because there is a new cheap cart coming out, piracy isn't some exclusive club, you have no more right to pirate than anyone else, if piracy becomes more mainstream, so be it.
If you are one of the people complaining, why don't you go and buy all your games? 99% of us don't, leaving us with no reason to complain.
The thing is, piracy in the past took investment, effort and understanding (often quite significant amounts) to be able to achieve the ability to play games for free. Nowadays anyone with any semblance of a brain has instant access to it for a cheap price.

However, this in itself is the natural progression, which I accept as being inevitable (if only not to be hypocritical) - the unfortunate side-effect (more likely the problem) being the fact that it tends to attract a generation of clueless people that do not realize that having the ability to pirate is a privilege, that nothing is deserved, that it doesn't matter if the game is crappy, and that circumstances do not give you any more right than anyone else (ie. none). Technical discussion has also gradually declined unless you happen to be looking in the right places.

From Nintendo's standpoint: the exact same thing happened when mp3s became freely and easily available (Napster was the turning point then, just as the R4 is here). The record companies failed to capitalize on new technologies and adopt new pricing/distribution methods, having the effect of increasing the amount of mp3 piracy - the one thing they were trying to stop. Read more about it here (excellent article).
Nintendo needs to recognize that the same pattern is occurring here, and jump in as soon as possible by going with the flow, not against it.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
cory1492 said:
Ah, but I do so long for the days where "wats a... hex editor?" was never a question posed by a flash cart owner
grog.gif
^This
tongue.gif

Edit: Sorry, merge these posts if you want.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dirtie said:
Jaejae said:
I get pissed off when people take the moral highground on piracy, just because there is a new cheap cart coming out, piracy isn't some exclusive club, you have no more right to pirate than anyone else, if piracy becomes more mainstream, so be it.
If you are one of the people complaining, why don't you go and buy all your games? 99% of us don't, leaving us with no reason to complain.
The thing is, piracy in the past took investment, effort and understanding (often quite significant amounts) to be able to achieve the ability to play games for free. Nowadays anyone with any semblance of a brain has instant access to it for a cheap price.

However, this in itself is the natural progression, which I accept as being inevitable (if only not to be hypocritical) - the unfortunate side-effect (more likely the problem) being the fact that it tends to attract a generation of clueless people that do not realize that having the ability to pirate is a privilege, that nothing is deserved, that it doesn't matter if the game is crappy, and that circumstances do not give you any more right than anyone else (ie. none). Technical discussion has also gradually declined unless you happen to be looking in the right places.

From Nintendo's standpoint: the exact same thing happened when mp3s became freely and easily available (Napster was the turning point then, just as the R4 is here). The record companies failed to capitalize on new technologies and adopt new pricing/distribution methods, having the effect of increasing the amount of mp3 piracy - the one thing they were trying to stop. Read more about it here (excellent article).
Nintendo needs to recognize that the same pattern is occurring here, and jump in as soon as possible by going with the flow, not against it.

Oh god Dirtie, I miss Oink so much
frown.gif

That article is spot on when it comes to this and it's all up to Nintendo now on how this all plays out. Hopefully they won't start launching lawsuits left and right like the RIAA.

stivsama

GBA-Tenchan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I tried to warn tempers even when it was still the gba scene, to be discrete and subtle about roms so as not to attract too much attention.

The one time I suggested this, I was promptly shut down because "I don't know what I was talking about." What a n00b.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SkH said:
Yeah... too mainstream... everybody uses flashcards. And about the Posting in the Official Nintendo forums... sigh... just look at that how dumb the topic poster is... I'm go mad when I see one like this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/...;thread.id=1076
It almost sounds like he doesn't know any different. I actually think the poor thing doesn't realize that a flashcart isn't the norm.

I don't even know what to say.

frown.gif

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Woah. Piracy is always been mainstream. Since the PS1 days.
Italian here: my PS1 had a modchip inside it, not that it was wanted, they just stuck that thing inside. They told me nothing. And it was a rather big store! Then, when the laser failed on me (2 fucking times, damn PS1) the second time they left a copied game inside the drive. Like it was a gift or something, lol.
EDIT: No wait, rewind to 1982. Commodore 64 is "TEH SHIT" in italy, and original games DO NOT EVEN EXIST. Yes, i'm not exagerating or something. Everything that you can find on tape and\or in floppy is pirated. Some of them even have a totally unofficial italian translation + trainers, etc.
I personally had NO original program, except for C64 Desk or something like that and a game, both on tape.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think its just a case of change and adapt. Remember when the N64 game shark was out? i remember buying 4 of them because Nintendo kept putting blocks on the cheats. Nintendo needs a way to legitimately support the homebrew community or else is its the same old song. Its all digital, so no matter what they come up with, theres going to be a chip or a bypass of some sort. and eventually the game media gets circumvented too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DarkUli said:
I'd buy my games as well if I was a bit better financially (If the whole goddamn country was better financially) and if most of them were actually good.

same here, i don't currently work so i can't afford it, i do buy games that i highly enjoy though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: That's even worse :angry:😡 :sad::cry::cry::cry: