Piracy: Common Myths

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yar. The WIPO/Berne links contain the laws and such, I just can't read them so I didn't do any quoting. XD
Yeah, well as far as I know, only The Netherlands do it this way, but you could just link to my post in the last paragraph.

Kwartel

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Eh, there's well over 100 countries in the thing total, I don't want to be too redundant.
Hmmm.. That's true, but you could also make a spoiler where you link to posts in this threat about other countries. While the US is greatly represented, it's not even nearly the only country represented here. Besides, Dutch law is a special little snowflake.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I used to pirate stuff regularly (I'm from New Zealand)
But recently I just cant be bothered half the time :)

I think piracy has as many pro's for game publishers as it does cons.
Just buy indie games please, they are the best anyway :)

Kwartel

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used to pirate stuff regularly (I'm from New Zealand)
But recently I just cant be bothered half the time :)

I think piracy has as many pro's for game publishers as it does cons.
Just buy indie games please, they are the best anyway :)
I can't be really bothered too. That's the best way to stop piracy anyway. Make legit product a lot easier with things like Steam and Spotify~

Reactions: KingBlank

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 1993, Panasonic released the first CD based home gaming console (before the PS1.) Although I have no corroborating evidence, it is widely-accepted that Panasonic actually "encouraged" software purchasers to make back-up copies of their games as they would not be provided with replacement discs if they ever became damaged or broken. The console in question (3DO) was discontinued three years later before DRM, DMCA, etc.

tl;dr A 3DO will play burnt CDs, is it wrong?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can't be really bothered too. That's the best way to stop piracy anyway. Make legit product a lot easier with things like Steam and Spotify~
Actually I think piracy it's gotten ridiculously easy too....
I used to download games every once in a while for my PC a couple of years ago, but my PC wasn't that great at the time ( underpowered GPU, slow internet etc.) and it was a real hassle to get most games to work.
First huge downloads ( at the time ) from badly seeded torrents, then 3rd party applications to mount / burn images, then find the working crack and copy over to the right folder....problems with updates etc...viruses.....well, you get the picture.
It really made me wish to get a legitimate copy and get on with it !

I played Wii games in the meantime, and just recently got me a fairly decent gaming laptop.
In short, I have now a 25 Mbps connection, a decent GPU, and to my surprise, not only torrent are much better seeded ( seems like the others have better internet as well these days ;) ) but games usually come repacked, with just an installer included that does all the work for you !
Some installers even check for updates before launching !

I mean, doesn't get any easier then that ??
Sure I'd like to support developers and publishers, but give me some good damn reason not to pirate !

Kwartel

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually I think piracy it's gotten ridiculously easy too....
I used to download games every once in a while for my PC a couple of years ago, but my PC wasn't that great at the time ( underpowered GPU, slow internet etc.) and it was a real hassle to get most games to work.
First huge downloads ( at the time ) from badly seeded torrents, then 3rd party applications to mount / burn images, then find the working crack and copy over to the right folder....problems with updates etc...viruses.....well, you get the picture.
It really made me wish to get a legitimate copy and get on with it !

I played Wii games in the meantime, and just recently got me a fairly decent gaming laptop.
In short, I have now a 25 Mbps connection, a decent GPU, and to my surprise, not only torrent are much better seeded ( seems like the others have better internet as well these days ;) ) but games usually come repacked, with just an installer included that does all the work for you !
Some installers even check for updates before launching !

I mean, doesn't get any easier then that ??
Sure I'd like to support developers and publishers, but give me some good damn reason not to pirate !
The damn good reason is that you support the devs and publishers?

Oh and Steam is even easier than that. You buy the game, press download and you will get a notification when the game is ready to play.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[1.11] Can I play CDR backups of 3DO games on my Panasonic/Goldstar 3DO? A: Yes. Most units have no problems reading games copied to a CDR. Some people have complained that their units will not run CDRs though. This is likely caused by 1. Low quality CDR media, 2. Older or bargain basement CDR recoders, 3. A bad burn, 4. Possible laser alignment issues from general wear and tear on the 3DO itself. If you wish to backup your games to preserve the original disk, you should 1. Use good quality CDR media, 2. Avoid disk to disk copying(Copy the game to your harddrive first.) 3. Burn at a slower speed (4x or 2x are reccomended.
Does anyone else find it odd that back when "burning/ripping software" was expensive, it wasn't "piracy?"
Does anyone else see the direct correlation between user cost and "legality?"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely hope that this was in jest. What's the point in creating a thread about the legality of pirating if you are willing to admit 7 pages later that $$$ can change it?!?!
What? No. I'm saying that whether something is illegal or not even if there's no loss comes down to money. If large companies think they would make money by getting something outlawed, they're going to do it.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, if large company's make a $90 single player game then its obviously going to be pirated more than a $20 single player game.
unless of course they do a Sim City, oh wait, that got cracked too. :)

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? No. I'm saying that whether something is illegal or not even if there's no loss comes down to money. If large companies think they would make money by getting something outlawed, they're going to do it.
So then why not outlaw "borrowing" a game, "renting" a game or "Gamefly"accounts? Your argument is getting worse?!?!?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So then why not outlaw "borrowing" a game
Technically you're not supposed to, as the license you get is non-transferrable, but they can't stop you and it'd cost them more money than it would "save" to try to enforce it, and that's a net loss.

On that subject, large companies don't like used games, however, which is why there's been steps taken by them to make used game sales not work out properly, such as the inability to delete saved games on some 3DS games.
http://www.3dsbuzz.com/you-can’t-delete-your-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-save-data/

, "renting" a game or "Gamefly"accounts?
Those are legal because they have the proper licenses, and they get a cut of that money too, a net profit.

Your argument is getting worse?!?!?
No, you're just misinformed. Legality and morals are not the same thing, and they don't always align.

Reactions: Sterling

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Definitely used games are more of a threat to the industry compared to piracy IMO.
Sure, there are people who rely on selling their newish games in order to buy the latest games, therefore in turn, being able to sell your games , provides currency to buy more new games.
On the other hand, there are a lot more people who buy ONLY used games.
I know 'cause I was one of them.
Piracy doesn't affect industry in a big way as we are led to believe because people who pirate wouldn't buy new games to begin with.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely used games are more of a threat to the industry compared to piracy IMO.
[reasonable line in backing logic]

Can you really make that claim? Pending a true ruling on the matter (which given various laws and the lack of one thus far) blaming used games for anything seems roughly equivalent to blaming the magic games buying fairy for skipping out on buying a million copies of your game.
To go further game disc/carts at least are seen to have an inherent value and the ability to be resold which has existed basically since forever and saying if it didn't exist is not even a great thought exercise.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you really make that claim? Pending a true ruling on the matter (which given various laws and the lack of one thus far) blaming used games for anything seems roughly equivalent to blaming the magic games buying fairy for skipping out on buying a million copies of your game.
To go further game disc/carts at least are seen to have an inherent value and the ability to be resold which has existed basically since forever and saying if it didn't exist is not even a great thought exercise.

I can claim, that I ( that is Me ) wouldn't buy all the games I pirate if I couldn't pirate them.
And if I couldn't pirate them ( that is me ) , I would buy them used, for cheaper, just to see what they play like.

I can claim that if I couldn't get them used, I'd have to buy at least a few new games every once in a while and maybe developers would make a profit off me :)
Therefore, in my case ( and wouldn't logic dictate that I'm not the only one ? ), the true enemy of new games sales are used game sales.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1