Hacking [PICTURES] Snaps of your Wiikey Install

dopestyle67

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first instal and first soldering experiance really, besides some practice before install. i thought it went pretty smoothly, so far both of my backups work! i couldn't be happier, now i just hope it stays that way!!

wiikeyinstall005.jpg

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wiikey.jpg

This was my first ever mod chip install, pretty happy it all went smooth after looking at some of the disasters ive seen posted on the forums.

Damn that chip looked small when i first saw it though.

nice install, i have mine like that also.

An even better place to put the wiikey is in the bottom right hand corner (where the little clip with the wires is).

The wiikey fits perfectly in that corner, the retention clip for the wires holds it in very snugly - you need to use a tiny amount of force to squeeze it in there, but it's a fantastic spot and no tape of any kind is required.

I wish I had of taken a couple of photos of my install, or the install I did for my friend so that you could see how perfect the fit is.

pcsoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Your install pics are awesome. I'm still awaiting to receive my wiikey (clone?). I have attempted soldering in the past but never with much satisfaction. I always feel like I need a 3rd hand. One to hold the wire, one for the iron and one for the solder. How do you guys do such clean jobs? Is there a device or clamp that helps hold the wire? Do you just build up the point with the solder first and then re-melt it? I plan to practice before doing my install but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pics from my install thread:

I (stupidly) did the chip first.

chip.JPG

Then the board.

board.JPG

And since I had a good amount of bare wire showing from tinning the wire overzealously, I "shingled" the hell out of it, over and under each wire - but at least I'll never have a short!Â
rofl2.gif

tape.JPG

Why do you say it's stupid to do the chip first?

I made 6 wires all equal size. The stripped the ends, tinned them and labelled each 1 - 6. Then I attached the right numbers to the each point on the chip. Secured the chip with tape and attached each wire to the padbs on the PCB. It was pretty simple for me and since I numbered the wires, there was no confusion as to what went where.

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
y r u using 1 ltr wrds?
sorry if n00bish... dont know jack bout this

nah jk man i got respect for you. its to prevent shorts and hold everything in place

7llusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
This is the thirst time I've installed a modchip, and I have to say that I wasn't too difficult but it took time.
s5000624hi1.jpg

s5000626qy4.jpg

I've cut the wires, don't worry.
Illusion

blunty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the thirst time I've installed a modchip, and I have to say that I wasn't too difficult but it took time.
I've cut the wires, don't worry.
Illusion

Looking at those picts, I'm surprised that actually works. Not dissing your skills, but those solder joints
on the chip look dry. Too much solder. I'd be afraid of a short.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Why do you say it's stupid to do the chip first?

I made 6 wires all equal size. The stripped the ends, tinned them and labelled each 1 - 6. Then I attached the right numbers to the each point on the chip. Secured the chip with tape and attached each wire to the padbs on the PCB. It was pretty simple for me and since I numbered the wires, there was no confusion as to what went where.

I made them equal size too. I wanted to mount it in a certain place, and if I had soldered it to the board with extra wire, and then cut it to length, I would have been much better off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone