Picofly AIO Thread

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This composite picture captures a lot of the mosfet mounting details. Also has the mosfet number. Will get some shops that have it.

1679430421674.png

here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai.../IRFHS8342TRPBF?qs=Z8%2BeY1k3TILJK9l3AOTdfA==

Tom8823

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it cause an issue if I located my mosfet directly on the pico chip itself (by hard glue or tape) and soldered wires to the capacitor on cpu? I see every image shows soldering mosfets legs directly to cpu so I'm wondering if installing longer wires to cpu will introduce timings issue or something

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it cause an issue if I located my mosfet directly on the pico chip itself (by hard glue or tape) and soldered wires to the capacitor on cpu? I see every image shows soldering mosfets legs directly to cpu so I'm wondering if installing longer wires to cpu will introduce timings issue or something
The mosfet attaches to the Pico by one wire and the mosfet attaches to the CPU via two wires. So you want to run 2 long wires instead of just one, eh? I personally think it’s better to keep the mosfet runs as close to the CPU as you can.

ThAt said, the HWFLY cable has the mosfets a short ways away, dangling off to the right of the CPU. You might be able to get away with it if your heat is set on doing it that way.
(But why risk it on such a new and emerging option?)

Tom8823

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is that I don't feel comfortable soldering legs directly to the capacitor, too much risk of removing the capacitor from cpu. But I would rather prefer to solder two very thin wires first to capacitor and then attach it to mosfet. As a matter of fact it doesn't matter to me where the mosfet will be located. I thought about putting it on pico but I can do it even next to cpu as long as I can just use some thin wires and not solder directly to capacitor. This concept scares me

Reactions: minik1971

nightshadowon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I am totally overwhelmed by what people can do (hackers, slackers, co-crackers).

Idea to add reputable shops to get this completed for a fee. I would love to purchase an OLED and get this done, but I don't have the skills to solder anything that small.

Reactions: MightySashiman

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The thing is that I don't feel comfortable soldering legs directly to the capacitor, too much risk of removing the capacitor from cpu. But I would rather prefer to solder two very thin wires first to capacitor and then attach it to mosfet. As a matter of fact it doesn't matter to me where the mosfet will be located. I thought about putting it on pico but I can do it even next to cpu as long as I can just use some thin wires and not solder directly to capacitor. This concept scares me
Even with the mosfet you are still soldering to the capacitor. I personally recommend using the hwfly flex cables if you are unsure as they line up nicely

• Love
Reactions: binkinator

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know the exact specs of the resistors? I found some 1206 and 2512 ones on aliexpress and don’t know if they’re the same. I’d like to be sure before buying it.

Also, if I use the hwfly flex cables, do I still need the resistors?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know the exact specs of the resistors? I found some 1206 and 2512 ones on aliexpress and don’t know if they’re the same. I’d like to be sure before buying it.

Also, if I use the hwfly flex cables, do I still need the resistors?

You still need resistors.

The important bit is the Ohms, you want 47 Ohm resistors.

1206 just means 12mm .12in long by 6mm .06in wide. If you get larger you will have to find a space to put them. 2512 is pretty darn big. You get down to 603 and they start to get more fiddly to solder.

edit: inches…not mm

Last edited by binkinator,

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You still need resistors.

The important bit is the Ohms, you want 47 Ohm resistors.

1206 just means 12mm long by 6mm wide. If you get larger you will have to find a space to put them. 2512 is pretty darn big. You get down to 603 and they start to get more fiddly to solder.
I see, thanks. So there’s no specific voltage rating for these resistors? Also, would you recommend the 1206 size?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks. So there’s no specific voltage rating for these resistors? Also, would you recommend the 1206 size?

The voltage level power rating (measured in watts) just tells how much the resistor can handle without going up in smoke. The voltage power levels we’re dealing with on the Pico is signal level (super low) so just about anything will do. Higher voltage handling power rating just costs more.

You don’t need to worry about tolerance either (that’s the number with the % sign) as we’re just knocking down stray signals and don’t need the extra (more expensive) acciracy.

To be honest you Kinda have to look for the more esoteric stuff and if you end up paying a little more for some .01% resistors by accident the extreme precision is not going to do anything negative (aside from price)

The things you see on mason for a decent (relatively) price are probably going to be the right ones as long as they are 47 Ohms.

Reactions: some1ne

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
resistors has no voltage rate but power rated, i.e. 1/4W or 1/25W. dealing with signal line you could use whatever one that suit yourself best Cz only little current run through datalines
100% correct sir. I anguished over it for a second and thought…naw…nobody is gonna catch me. Well. Here we are.

Fixed the misinformation.

• Haha
Reactions: Dee87

handsom_tomato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
mosfet_v2.jpg

I'm sorry, I was directed to this thread to confirm the pin assignment of a MOSFET, but due to my own ignorance, I am unsure of where to connect the pins. I am feeling frustrated and would appreciate some guidance. I thought it might be easier to connect wires rather than remove the chip capacitor, so I would like to try it in this way. Could someone please explain to me in clear English?

Reactions: DawnWorkout

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch