Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Dlacica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So on the switch oled I have continuity between this two capacitors(?). They are not bridged, soldered together. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 20230423_110449.jpg
    20230423_110449.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 55

MicroRepairRX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heys guys i have a problem... :Płakać:
Yesterday Switch run Picofly, today not working :(
RP2040 yesterday sending led blue and red (picofly running), today running only run OFW, rp2040 sending led blue and green :(
And switch not reading microsd card :(
Switch brick? :cry:

Have you tried disconnecting all the wires? To make sure the problem is not related to the pico fly install?

simone95

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, I'm lurking the thread from the very firsts pages, you're awesome. I've finally gathered the courage to try modding my v2. But trying soldering the RST I've accidentally removed the two tiny cap. I can't find informations about those cap and they are really difficult to replace. What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_112400.jpg
    IMG_20230423_112400.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 76

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Testing Using SOP-08 MOSFET 😊
Which one did you use?
Post automatically merged:

500 ohms from what two points? 2 resistors inline is 0.499 K Ohms and off circuit its 1k ohms. Took four 0.499K resistors and chained them together to ground, didn't work. Put two resistors each on the capacitor, didn't work. This was with dual mosfets. Blue to Cyan color every time.

Tried the flex again and booted fine. Looking to save my flexes for the chips they came with.

There has got to be some configuration to get this to work with 2 mosfets.

Update: So I switched the mosfets on the working flex and put the problem mosfets on the flex. Then tested and same problem, blue then cyan. So now gonna try the flex mosfets in the pico configuration.
Try using so8 IRF8714 if you can get it. It worked for me on Mariko with SkHynix with single mosfet.

Last edited by QuiTim,
Reactions: MicroRepairRX

MicroRepairRX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BREAKING DISCOVERY!!

Been working on this for hours. The recommended mosfets I got worked in the dual configuration for a lite switch with samsung ram and emmc. But not for any other combination with SkHynix.

The flex cable worked fine with SKHynix. I then put the problem mosfets on the flex and it didn't work.

In one final attempt, I took the mosfets from the original flex and soldered it in the dual configuration and it WORKED!.

So it's the mosfets that are the issue.... the ones I got are IRFHS8342, which I think matches the recommendation. The ones from DigiKey were listed as IRFHS8342TRPBFCT-ND.

Now if we only knew the mosfets used on the flex.

Okay thanks. I'll give it a try. Where is the post that showed how you wired it? I can't seem to find it after checking your posts from the activity section in the profile.

Edit: Found it: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10135236
AND: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10135244

Last edited by MicroRepairRX,
Reactions: ppzikos and QuiTim

wikisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Heys guys i have a problem... :Płakać:
Yesterday Switch run Picofly, today not working :(
RP2040 yesterday sending led blue and red (picofly running), today running only run OFW, rp2040 sending led blue and green :(
And switch not reading microsd card :(
Switch brick? :cry:
you probably shortcuit some cables. Did you cut metalshield to make place for picofly? Check if it working without it. I initialy didn't cut it and I was having simmilar issue that it was working correctly when I solder it, but when I put the metal shielding back and screw it I got red blink. I just then cut metalshield to not squash picofly with cables (probably two cables pushed too much each other and scraped thin isolation layer) and everything works correctly. Take your multimeter and check resistance between pico pins that you soldered.

Last edited by wikisa,

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
BREAKING DISCOVERY!!

Been working on this for hours. The recommended mosfets I got worked in the dual configuration for a lite switch with samsung ram and emmc. But not for any other combination with SkHynix.

The flex cable worked fine with SKHynix. I then put the problem mosfets on the flex and it didn't work.

In one final attempt, I took the mosfets from the original flex and soldered it in the dual configuration and it WORKED!.

So it's the mosfets that are the issue.... the ones I got are IRFHS8342, which I think matches the recommendation. The ones from DigiKey were listed as IRFHS8342TRPBFCT-ND.

Now if we only knew the mosfets used on the flex.

Okay thanks. I'll give it a try. Where is the post that showed how you wired it? I can't seem to find it after checking your posts from the activity section in the profile.

Edit: Found it: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10135236
AND: https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/post-10135244
Most of the flex cables use np2016 mosfets

Reactions: Phantomas77

cowboy619

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm lurking the thread from the very firsts pages, you're awesome. I've finally gathered the courage to try modding my v2. But trying soldering the RST I've accidentally removed the two tiny cap. I can't find informations about those cap and they are really difficult to replace. What should I do?

You gotta trim those wires they are too long and will cause issues. Your wire gauge is also too thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
not working after blue light then switch to ofw only
I guess if you dont get green after blue it means that it did not glitch sucessfully so it goes to OFW. Since those mosfets are used for glitching it's most likely that there is some soldering issue. Check continuity of the flex from caps, also dont forget to solder anchor points since I think these are used as Source point for mosfets.

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@rv03
I guess if you dont get green after blue it means that it did not glitch sucessfully so it goes to OFW. Since those mosfets are used for glitching it's most likely that there is some soldering issue. Check continuity of the flex from caps, also dont forget to solder anchor points since I think these are used as Source point for mosfets.
Here is the pinout of my V1 flex (original SX core with single mosfet) just to give you an idea of what's going on

Attachments

• 20230419_172058.jpg
    20230419_172058.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

rv03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
in soldering im skilled for solder. Im also installing modchip to my client. for solder its ok, do I need any resistor? to rst something like that

its working haha i forgot to solder the ground lol

Last edited by rv03,
  • Love
Reactions: QuiTim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: He's the reason why the banks closed lol.