Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

-LX-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Success, my Mariko has married Picofly :)

I have chosen a different mosfet: IRF8736PBF because it has legs so soldering is much easier.
it looks like this:
F8736 mosfet.jpg

and in my Mariko switch it looks like this:
IRF8736PBF mosfet soldering.jpg

Datasheet:
IRF8736PBF n kanal mosfet_01.jpg

IRF8736PBF n kanal mosfet_02.jpg

Green LED is coming on the "rp2040 one" in 1 second.
THANK YOU ALL (I've read the whole thread) it is a very hard mod but it is much fun.

LazarusGX4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It is POSSIBLE but WAAAAYYYY closer to impossible to put JUST the latch back. In my experience, the whole connector needs to be replaced. Not an easy task to solder plastic pieces, you need more tools than just an iron (I use a bottom\pre-heater and air wand).

I have seen people make different 'hacky' solutions work, though. EG shove a small piece of plastic in w\ the ribbon and then tape\glue the whole thing down.

GL!
.. I tried the "hacky" solution.. i put some kaplan tape behind the ffc cable to make it thicker, it works :)

• Love
Reactions: LogicalMadness

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....question:
does picofly detect if LCD is functioning or not? does it have an effect on pico's operation?

the locking mech on the LCD (?) flat cable came loose and i think this is what causing the PINK LED (?) have to test further...

View attachment 365528

bu

..now how to put the locking mech back....

It is POSSIBLE but WAAAAYYYY closer to impossible to put JUST the latch back. In my experience, the whole connector needs to be replaced. Not an easy task to solder plastic pieces, you need more tools than just an iron (I use a bottom\pre-heater and air wand).

I have seen people make different 'hacky' solutions work, though. EG shove a small piece of plastic in w\ the ribbon and then tape\glue the whole thing down.

GL!
So a similar form of this happened to me, and that is why I can answer this question. I messed up a trace on that cable somehow while hacking my GF's switch lite, and was getting successful Blue then green success flashes from the pico, and power button behavior that was acting like the NO SD CARD screen (single power button press turns on, loads NO SD SCREEN, single power button press turns off, single press again causes another successful glitch, can repeat cycle) but the screen was totally black.

After reading a few posts on the forum, I found someone with a similar issue who was told to tone out their connections on that flex cable and they found a broken connection. Jumpered the connection with wire and it fixed the screen! I did the same, found a different broken connection, jumpered it, and fixed my GF's screen!

However, after several assembly/disassemblies to get access to the battery connector, I too partially separated this flex connector. I was fortunate enough to be able to line the plastic flap back up, and close it well one final time before I closed the console up for good. It boots, it picoflies, it Hekates, what's not to love? Just saying, you may be able to carefully jam that connector flap back in, test that it's putting good pressure on the cable, and then fix it in place with some UV-cure resin/non-conductive soldermask.

• Love
Reactions: LogicalMadness

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have chosen a different mosfet: IRF8736PBF because it has legs so soldering is much easier.
it looks like this:
View attachment 365542

View attachment 365543

Datasheet:
View attachment 365544
View attachment 365545

THANK YOU ALL (I've read the whole thread) it is a very hard mod but it is much fun.

These are my favorite posts. Comes out of nowhere with a success\ty message and even read the WHOLE thread (I only started on pg 80-ish). You fkn rock!

Icing on the 'cookie'? They brought pics\diagrams of how to do the MOSFETs an easier way!

Proof that reading\searching leads to less broken Switchs (*Switches?)!

I'm yelling a lot! XD

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

it looks like this:
View attachment 365542

View attachment 365543

Datasheet:
View attachment 365544
View attachment 365545

Wow.Great work! I wish I knew this MOSFET exists before ordering 100 of the same type.

A quick question: Why was the cap removed and 3k resistor added?

-LX-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wow.Great work! I wish I knew this MOSFET exists before ordering 100 of the same type.

A quick question: Why was the cap removed and 3k resistor added?
Cap removed because i've read that less capacitors work better at that glitching thing. And the resistor is necessary to discharge the gate voltage so that the mosfet shuts completly down.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cap removed because i've read that less capacitors work better at that glitching thing. And the resistor is necessary to discharge the gate voltage so that the mosfet shuts completly down.
Got it. I assume this resistor is only necessary for your type of MOSFET? I've never seen it on other installs

Dlacica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm trying to get reddy RP2040 for my Oled Switch, I flashed 2.61 Firmware. When I'm trying to test the RP2040 I get bad CPU pin error. Is that OK?

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that are legs from through hole components. i guess it is from resistors. i have a bucket full of cutted component wire legs. But it is very big wire. I thought bigger is better :)
I used 38AWG copper wire from cap to Drain and smoke came out of my Switch. You thought right. Those legs are easier to shape, I like it.

lenoa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
These are my favorite posts. Comes out of nowhere with a success\ty message and even read the WHOLE thread (I only started on pg 80-ish). You fkn rock!

Icing on the 'cookie'? They brought pics\diagrams of how to do the MOSFETs an easier way!

Proof that reading\searching leads to less broken Switchs (*Switches?)!

I'm yelling a lot! XD
there is other mosfet forgot the page

such as
AO6414
DFN 5*6
need review every other mosfet, and it is good replacement or not, some parameters wich are important or can compensate it

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is other mosfet forgot the page

such as
AO6414
DFN 5*6
need review every other mosfet, and it is good replacement or not, some parameters wich are important or can compensate it

Just saying, I haven't seen anyone else mention a MOSFET w\ legs for easier install. I know others can be used. Remember, I've been reading since pg 80-ish? ;)

I hope it's got the correct specs but I'm trusting that @-LX- did the leg work to be sure.

I feel a lot of *woosh* happening around here XD

• Love
Reactions: Dee87

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saying, I haven't seen anyone else mention a MOSFET w\ legs for easier install. I know others can be used. Remember, I've been reading since pg 80-ish? ;)

I hope it's got the correct specs but I'm trusting that @-LX- did the leg work to be sure.

I feel a lot of *woosh* happening around here XD
I'm all in for a legged-MOSFET, for sure. I also like the pinout, All Ds on one side, All Ss on there other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/nRspgWaF_K0?si=SKZ48aRDQyB7vpRH