Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
anyone ever have issue that when a chip is installed it show the no sdcard , and if u insterd a sdcard u get a black screen?and does not boot ofw
got a switch Oled here where someone brought it to a friend to install a hwfly chip except for the dat0 he did that himself .
the board has a few issue i know about the latch from the lcd connector is missing but i got so far it does display the screen, it also had the cmd resistor ripped off of the solder joint , two lines above emmc where cut.

i didnt work so he uninstalled the dat0,hwfly,flex kabel but left 3v,gnd,cmd,clk,rst kabels laying in the the switch and possible had a connection to the shield. havent found any shorts though.

i uninstalled the cable tried to get it to boot nothing

installed picofly get no sd

put sd with hekate in , black screen

oh sdcard reader is fine i put his in mine it works , put mine in his same issue

hope its not to off topic

Last edited by Dee87,
Reactions: LogicalMadness

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You forgot to solder the two anchors
yeah I didn't solder them just yet. I will once I see the chip works. I had to put it at an angle also if you notice because the SP2 opening is too narrow.
Post automatically merged:

As @Frullone pointed out, you need to solder those 2 anchor points otherwise one small pull on that flex cable and you will rip the caps off.
yeah come to think of it you're right. I'll do that. I can always de-solder them if need be

detilmalala

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello, it shows continuity between the 2 points that are inside the white circle, it is a lite, is it correct?

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

Attachments

• lite.png
    lite.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 55

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
So just a thought....
anyone ever have issue that when a chip is installed it show the no sdcard , and if u insterd a sdcard u get a black screen?and does not boot ofw
got a switch Oled here where someone brought it to a friend to install a hwfly chip except for the dat0 he did that himself .
the board has a few issue i know about the latch from the lcd connector is missing but i got so far it does display the screen, it also had the cmd resistor ripped off of the solder joint , two lines above emmc where cut.

i didnt work so he uninstalled the dat0,hwfly,flex kabel but left 3v,gnd,cmd,clk,rst kabels laying in the the switch and possible had a connection to the shield. havent found any shorts though.

oh sdcard reader is fine i put his in mine it works , put mine in his same issue

So just a thought...
Is it possible he messed up the emmc with that dat0 installation. If there is no sd card the chip shows that up on the display, but once you put in the sd card and it tries to communicate with (some part of) emmc and fails you get a black screen?!? Does that make any sense?

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So just a thought....
So just a thought...
Is it possible he messed up the emmc with that dat0 installation. If there is no sd card the chip shows that up on the display, but once you put in the sd card and it tries to communicate with (some part of) emmc and fails you get a black screen?!? Does that make any sense?
yeah thats what i thought to , was trying to get it runing to see if i get it fixed without reballing the emmc cause if i do that i gotta charge him for it so trying make it work befor i reball and set perm dat0

the thing thats gonna suck the most if he messed up the emmc somehow and its not fixable im gonna have to charge him eather way so for reballing and reflowing thats what im trying not to do

Last edited by Dee87,

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you guys think this is going to work? I'm waiting for a modchip to come in the mail to use with this soldering setup:
Looks good. If you want to make sure. Pull up your multimeter and make sure these two points are giving between 11 to 20 Ohms.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 12.26.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 12.26.58 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
yeah thats what i thought to , was trying to get it runing to see if i get it fixed without reballing the emmc cause if i do that i gotta charge him for it so trying make it work befor i reball and set perm dat0

the thing thats gonna suck the most if he messed up the emmc somehow and its not fixable im gonna have to charge him eather way so for reballing and reflowing thats what im trying not to do
On the nonOled models hekate should boot even without the emmc chip but I dont know if this is the case with Oled board (since emmc is soldered).
Can it be some issue with power supply to the sdcard module...

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On the nonOled models hekate should boot even without the emmc chip but I dont know if this is the case with Oled board (since emmc is soldered).
Can it be some issue with power supply to the sdcard module...
on non led it does not boot without emmc atleast picofly doesnt

yeah i didnt find anything at the power supply everthing seems fine there

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks good. If you want to make sure. Pull up your multimeter and make sure these two points are giving between 11 to 20 Ohms.
thanks for this. I will check it out. I'm hoping I get the chip today or tomorrow. though I know this is a picofly thread, I'm using hwfly this time around. But I do have two picofly I will install again some day in the future just gotta be very careful with that RST ! :)
Post automatically merged:

Just been looking on aliexpess at some of the hwfly prices and noticed a seller selling hwfly v4 but they also had this image with nothing about it or priceView attachment 365168
that's pretty cool. I'm finding that hwfly costs the seller less than $10/pc so I'm not really sure how well the new picofly will catch on. it'll probably be about the same price or a couple dollars less than hwfly (I am guessing here). I just bought a replacement hwfly for 15 bucks to replace a broken one. I guess some sellers are pretty good on there about making sure the mod works.

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This was a lite. the shield sits about 0.3mm above the ram shield. the zero is about 2.5mm in height. Does not compute.
I agree with you for Lite. Since I had to update my OLED from FW2.5, here's a different perspective.

I could easilly fit a slice of mortadella betwen the Pico and that shield :P

Attachments

• OLED_spacing.jpg
    OLED_spacing.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: susi91 and deeps

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Wouldn't know where to start, but just an idea: have you tried to monitor the current on USB-C when USB charger is plugged? Is it still absorbing when the SD card is inserted or cutting out?

Reactions: LogicalMadness

busmanl30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why but I reset the chip to get it to train again and it’s doing this weird shit now instead of training and trying tk glitch, all my solder points are good

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    AI needs money for AI drugs lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Ai Cocaine Is a hell of a drug."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ai doc my reality prescriptions running low I need 5,000mg
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok for real i'm back
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    generative AI is getting better at animating stuff, but still looks like a fever dream in most cases
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    GOLD GRAIN 1/4 QUARTER BARS FOR LIKE $5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro lost all his money on gacha toys
    https://gachax2.com/
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i thought you were spamming
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just telling everyone i was collecting bullion, desperate times calls for desperate measures
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just "window" shopping
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna leave in any moment
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro if i drop a stack on red and you drop a stack on black at the roulette table and we pushed, does that mean i gave you a stack?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i don't get it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wut
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have it you fucking monster
  • T @ Texasauras:
    what i didn't do anything!
  • T @ Texasauras:
    since i doubled up, or you lost your stack and if i gave it to you instead of running off at the roulette table does that mean i "gave" you a stack lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop touching people's stacks
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Can I get AI to make Home Alone VS Micheal Jackson and R Kelly as the new wet bandits?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i have access to an AI that makes CGI movie scenes
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it's in beta
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh +1