Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice just orderd it so i can reball the oled emmc and set a permanent dat 0 pin

but befor i do that i will try first on some defektive emmcs and then try one extra thats works before i go the the oled :-)

Personally, I'd rather just replace the chip w\ a bigger one that is already preballed. 256gb from AliE, for around $80 after taxes\shipping. Check the 'emmc upgrade' thread from @binkinator for instructions and my link towards the bottom for purchasing. Especially with an OLED that has a Toshiba.

DarkKnight_TJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
what firmware did u flash ?

View attachment 362890

i had the same issue

flash the firmware from https://github.com/Ansem-SoD/Picofly/tree/main/Firmwares
first flash 2.5nw.uf2 then flash unlock uf2

what atmosphere version did u try ?
Stock was 13.0.0 , installed chip and was greeted with that error. Supposed I needed to upgrade because also did not have exfat support . Now is on 16.0.1 , I know Hekate works but atmosphere not yet . I made stock nand dumps . Indeed stock boots just fine . Atmosphere has never been able to boot

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Stock was 13.0.0 , installed chip and was greeted with that error. Supposed I needed to upgrade because also did not have exfat support . Now is on 16.0.1 , I know Hekate works but atmosphere not yet . I made stock nand dumps . Indeed stock boots just fine . Atmosphere has never been able to boot
use the unlocker.uf2

Reactions: Dee87 and Ricky_25

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personally, I'd rather just replace the chip w\ a bigger one that is already preballed. 256gb from AliE, for around $80 after taxes\shipping. Check the 'emmc upgrade' thread from @binkinator for instructions and my link towards the bottom for purchasing. Especially with an OLED that has a Toshiba.
thanks for the hint
i was thing about that to for me the chip is 120€ with taxes
sure it would be the easy way but im gonna try it with the original one since
i dont have to wait a couple of weeks for the parts to come in and i would have to install the dat0 connector anyways and reball the original emmc to backup everything ,sure i could get a emmc reader but thats another 50-100€ so for now i will go with the original one
and the issue is with toshiba is solved threw a "newer" firmware

plus where would the fun be with just buying a preballd emmc its like buying a hwfly kit :-P, i wanna learn to replace them anyways for the future so i think this is the perfekt way for me to start learning it :)

but thanks for ur thought i will keep that in my mind for later when i may wanna upgrade the emmc :-)

Reactions: LogicalMadness

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the hint
i dont have to wait a couple of weeks for the parts to come in and i would have to install the dat0 connector anyways and reball the original emmc to backup everything ,sure i could get a emmc reader but thats another 50-100€ so for now i will go with the original one

plus where would the fun be with just buying a preballd emmc its like buying a hwfly kit :-P, i wanna learn to replace them anyways for the future so i think this is the perfekt way for me to start learning it :)

but thanks for ur thought i will keep that in my mind for later when i may wanna upgrade the emmc :-)

Keep in mind 256GB eMMC also mean 256GB NAND backup each time you do them.

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the hint

Great points, well said. I also just really don't like mSDs, so it's a small barrier to needing them for me (obv still need for mod\hack files).

I highly suggest purchasing a stencil holder then. I tried my hand at reballing a PS4 southbridge and NSW WiFi IC without one and it was terrible.

To bring it back to emmcs specifically, I was going to experiment (have a spare Lite board) and just remove the emmc w\ lots of flux (pulling it off as straight as possible to not let the balls merge), add a wire to dat0 (0.1mm) and hope it can lay flat again. Anyone try this?

Reactions: Ricky_25

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great points, well said. I also just really don't like mSDs, so it's a small barrier to needing them for me (obv still need for mod\hack files).

I highly suggest purchasing a stencil holder then. I tried my hand at reballing a PS4 southbridge and NSW WiFi IC without one and it was terrible.

To bring it back to emmcs specifically, I was going to experiment (have a spare Lite board) and just remove the emmc w\ lots of flux (pulling it off as straight as possible to not let the balls merge), add a wire to dat0 (0.1mm) and hope it can lay flat again. Anyone try this?
about the stencil holder i bought this stencil click me

im gonna try on some defektive emmcs first if that doesnt work i have some aluminium block here that im gonna cnc a holder for this stencil and the emmc in case it doesnt work.

i tried that with on of my defektive emmc but it didnt work very well that why im just gonna reball

• Love

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was recommended this one:

US $38.54 6%OFF | LY RD980 New Auto Align Bga Reball Reballing Station 80mm 90mm Stencils Fixture Jig
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq0wMao

But also shown this picture as 'all the ones he uses' (he reballs PS3 CPUs\GPUs):

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1680548576738.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680548576738.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Dee87 and Ricky_25

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dee87 I don't see how those holders would work with the stencil you linked, though (I also have a multi-stencil for NSW but mine's lacking the emmc, thought I had one :sleep:)

There's always the 'ball approach', too:
*Edit, oof, didn't know it would make its own page here:

gist.github.com/dev-zzo/d0f468b40e2fe601c684cdb9c6590fa0

I fully believe the only thing(s) holding me back from accomplishing anything is having experience with the proper tools. Time to research\buy holder(s).

Flasheure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone! I'm new here.

It's not clear to me what to do after picofly starts the first time. Is there a guide that explains what to insert in the micro sd after the "NO SD" message is on the switch?
hi
You need to install a pack (Atmosphere, Hekate.....)
If you’re in 15.0.1, take this pack: Pack 15.0.1

And you are en 16.0.1, this one: Pack 16.0.1

Install Pack

Reactions: NetYaroze

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Dee87 I don't see how those holders would work with the stencil you linked, though (I also have a multi-stencil for NSW but mine's lacking the emmc, thought I had one :sleep:)

I fully believe the only thing(s) holding me back from accomplishing anything is having experience with the proper tools. Time to research\buy holder(s).
yeah they arent made for those holders thats why eather goona try it first by handy and if that doesnt work im gonna cnc some holders :)

yeah i know about the ball approch but id rether not try to set every ball :-P even with the stencil id rather just use past :-)

thats why im gonna try with the stencil and paste first its gonna work some how all u need is a stencil hot air gun some past and try and learn Xd
Post automatically merged:

Couldn't wait for the my flex cables to arrive. Installed this on an oled and reballed the emmc for the dat0. Boots great!
also a nice idea to do it , u have any issues with reballing the emmc ? just asking for a friend Xd

• Love

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah they arent made for those holders thats why eather goona try it first by handy and if that doesnt work im gonna cnc some holders :)

yeah i know about the ball approch but id rether not try to set every ball :-P even with the stencil id rather just use past :-)

thats why im gonna try with the stencil and paste first its gonna work some how all u need is a stencil hot air gun some past and try and learn Xd

also a nice idea to do it , u have any issues with reballing the emmc ? just asking for a friend Xd
Looking forward to reading your results, super jealous of the CNC access :bow:

"Good luck! You're gonna need it."

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looking forward to reading your results, super jealous of the CNC access :bow:

"Good luck! You're gonna need it."

thanks
the cnc was a kit from banggood for like 150€ just with a few modifications Xd
i also have a co2 laser(ebay 200€) and a 3d Printer (built it my self 5 Years ago)

thank i mean it can tbe that hard right , putting some past on the chip reflowing it setting the dato with solder pad repair and reflowing it Xd

whats gonne be the worst that happens i mean come on now Xd

@LogicalMadness

he also does it without stencil holder and the same stencil i orderd Klick me

Last edited by Dee87,
  • Love

Silenced4772

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya. Just reading above about exFAT support, is it a problem if I have not updated my console before modding it? I have already took it apart (thermal paste and all) on fw 10.x.x. Once modded, could I not just boot OFW, update it and go about my day?

LogicalMadness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks
the cnc was a kit from banggood for like 150€ just with a few modifications Xd
i also have a co2 laser(ebay 200€) and a 3d Printer (built it my self 5 Years ago)

thank i mean it can tbe that hard right , putting some past on the chip reflowing it setting the dato with solder pad repair and reflowing it Xd

whats gonne be the worst that happens i mean come on now Xd

@LogicalMadness

he also does it without stencil holder and the same stencil i orderd Klick me
Almost asked if you were using a reference, glad I held off, that video seems perfect.

Easiest thing TO go wrong, IMO, is getting your iron temp wrong when using the braid to desolder the emmc\MB. Too low and you're probably going to rip a trace. Too high and it makes it easier to accidentally rub the masking off the board with the braid. Ask me how I know 🫠

As always though, flux...flux ..flux...

Reactions: Dee87

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

*Edit, oof, didn't know it would make its own page here:

gist.github.com/dev-zzo/d0f468b40e2fe601c684cdb9c6590fa0

20230403_135242.jpg

Magnetic holders with solder paste do make things easier.

Emmc setup:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

CPU setup:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...tewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog: