Pick one TV console and one handheld console to play for the rest of your life

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BAD POLL because giving people the option of both a console and handheld just makes the entire exercise pointless. If you limit it to a single item, there's actual pros and cons involved and things like 3ds vs PSwhatever have valid points.

Then you have the fact every game after the creation of the analog stick sucks because using analog sticks in general sucks, and most of them are janky, dual-platform, generic FPS, PC ports on top of that. It's just f'ing sad looking at anything in the PS3 + PS4 library if you already own a PC.

But if you wanted to have a single console for the zombie apocalypse and wanted to be able to play PC-centric games like Dragon Age, I guess you might need to pick PS3 or PS4 and emulate everything else instead of going with something like a 3ds or Switch. But having a console for the antifa zombie apocalypse instead of a 3ds or switch sounds like a bad idea.

Last edited by r0achtheunsavory,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BAD POLL because giving people the option of both a console and handheld just makes the entire exercise pointless. If you limit it to a single item, there's actual pros and cons involved and things like 3ds vs PSwhatever have valid points.

Then you have the fact every game after the creation of the analog stick sucks because using analog sticks in general sucks, and most of them are janky, dual-platform, generic FPS, PC ports on top of that. It's just f'ing sad looking at anything in the PS3 + PS4 library if you already own a PC.

But if you wanted to have a single console for the zombie apocalypse and wanted to be able to play PC-centric games like Dragon Age, I guess you might need to pick PS3 or PS4 and emulate everything else instead of going with something like a 3ds or Switch. But having a console for the antifa zombie apocalypse instead of a 3ds or switch sounds like a bad idea.

OK...For one thing, you're not slinging a console + a portable screen with you even with all of the portable battery options out on the market nowadays. Hence, why I threw in the portable option in addition to the home console. Sometimes, you're waiting for an appointment or you're on a train ride (maybe not this year, but when things go back to normal), and you want something to distract ya'. Also, I didn't make a poll because who knows, maybe someone would want to use a Game Gear as their portable device? Not likely, of course, but this way, people can put down what they want. You already have someone who put down that they'd use a GBA SP for their portable needs in spite of the fact that every DS, be it the originals or any of the 3DSes, can play GBA games via either BC or injection.

As for your opinion on analog sticks, I can't say I know of that many games on consoles not named the Wii that use a whole lot else. Steam controllers aren't exactly on every console, and even if one was to get them to work via adapters or some other means, you couldn't get to use the controller to its max potential however you see fit. Not to mention, its irrelevant to the question itself. If you want to stick to consoles that are mainly based around the d-pad and don't have analog sticks, that's your choice to make!

As for your last paragraph, it's mostly what I said in the first, but you're venturing off into a completely different topic that has nothing to do with this fun discussion I wanted to put out there for the GBATemp community to have.

I don't claim to be some master topic maker or anything of the like myself. I tried to make it as airtight as I thought to be possible on what qualifies as a console and doesn't cross over to the realm of arguably a PC where all one has to do is download an emulator, obtain the games via whatever means they choose to go about it, and boom, you can run the games no problem without having to exploit flaws in a system. That, to me, is what PCs are better at than consoles; no loopholes to jump through the console's or the console's software's flaws to be able to run unsigned code on the system, and the main point of differentiation IMHO on the difference between what I'd classify as a console and a PC.

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I have an interest in things like the 3ds is because it can play GBA, DS, and 3ds natively to minimize input lag, then can do things like Genesis with very low input lag with Picodrive. Then SNES and PS1 with higher but somewhat manageable lag. If you give someone the option of two console choices, you can eliminate just about all the cons of any choice making it an exercise in futility.

I would also make the stipulation that CFW and such would have to be assumed to be final as of today so people can't claim they're running League of Legends on a PS5 running Windows or other ridiculous stuff someone will say. Really the only major stumbling block in emulation is that SNES has stupidly high input lag in emulation without using run-ahead and practically requires run-ahead, FPGA, or the actual console itself to be enjoyable.

Reactions: zxr750j

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For the TV Console, i'd take the Wii U as it allows me to play the whole Wii U, Wii, Gamecube library + a good part of the Switch's one, having access to a lot of homebrews aswell. The Wii U is underrated even though it's a great quality, as it even has some exclusive stuff with the assymetrical design. And it's an emulation beast, you can play anything from Nintendo that's not the 3DS.

For the handheld, i'd take the PSVita, as it has a great build quality, big battery life, a beautiful OLED screen, a very active homebrew scene etc. Taking it also hive me access to the PS1+PSP+Vita libeary which is still pretty good for Sony's game.

Combining them lets me have a lot of games from Sony and Nintendo, and that's without even including other games that vould be played on Linux, emulated, or that got ported.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Doesnt it work with the Wii - mode of the wii u?

From what I remember from the very brief time I owned a Wii U before selling it the Fall before the Switch came out, the Wii mode doesn't let you play GC games natively. I forget how it works, but Nintendon't taps into I think something to do with the PowerPC CPU or the Wii software or something to let you play GC games. I'd recommend looking into it if you're interested. ;)

Mind you, playing GC games on the Wii U doesn't enhance the games in any way.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
[TV] As a home console, I've been enjoying the Wii U again quite a lot lately, due to its backward compatibility with GameCube and great emulation (Retroarch) as it was mentioned by @The Real Jdbye on #7! This may be because I've recently hacked it (I know I'm a bit late on this, but I was amazed by the idea and I'm quite happy with the results). :D

I really like my X-Box 360 for the wide range of titles/exclusives and graphics, but it is on hold for ages now... Need to bring it back to life at some point! :rolleyes:

[Handheld] I love my Switch, but since its latest releases have been mostly title remakes/reissues/anniversary launches (that I also enjoy, but...), I'll have to go with the 3DS, as it allows me to play a great deal of 3DS nice titles and again, for its backward compatibility with NDS and GBA and other consoles through emulation (sorry, I know this is not considered a decision factor in this thread, but it is for me as a player/user). The 3DS also fits perfectly in my pockets while the Switch doesn't, so in terms of portability, 3DS wins, if we think about it. Unless you carry a backpack all the time, which I don't. :rofl:

Last edited by tfocosta,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's so weird you can't put PCs when the GPD Win series exist and their competitors.

Console: Wii U - Very Rich library when hacked. Unique 5 player gameplay like on Nintendo Land. Can be used for drawing.
Handheld - New 3DS XL - Rich library due to VC, 3DS, DS and GBA. Can be used for drawing and music creation.

I would miss PSP and Vita games though but the 3DS has an overall better library for me. If the Switch had a better library and better Wii and Wii U emulation, I'd take it over the Wii U.

Without limitations, probably a GPD Win Max with a 2080 TI eGPU for both.

Last edited by fvig2001,

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS XL - Rich library due to VC

The actual VC part of the 3ds is pretty much useless because Retroarch 2005+ SNES core has lower input lag. And I think the Sega VC is just a higher input lag version of Retroarch Picodrive. I've found absolutely no use at all for Nintendo's pseudo-proprietary VC stuff over just plain old Retroarch running on the 3ds or running DS/GBA games through Twi menu.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Obviously Wii U. I haven´t modded mine yet but since even Nintendont works on it, you can have 3 generations in one without emulation. That´s amazing.

BTW since the Wii U does not have GC controller ports, can GC controller still be used somehow? Perhaps via the Smash Bros adapter?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Obviously Wii U. I haven´t modded mine yet but since even Nintendont works on it, you can have 3 generations in one without emulation. That´s amazing.

BTW since the Wii U does not have GC controller ports, can GC controller still be used somehow? Perhaps via the Smash Bros adapter?

According to the Nintendont thread:
  • Official WiiU GameCube Controller Adapter support (using HID).
So yes. Another option is those GC to classic controller adapters that go into the wii mote.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up