1. Silent_Gunner

OP Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops
    Banned

United States
    The only rule is that you cannot pick a PC, Raspberry Pi, ODroid, *insert other maker board here* for the TV console, and you can't pick a phone, GPD WIN/XD, or other mobile device meant for more than just gaming as a handheld.

When it comes to the Switch, you can define it how you want. Let's try to keep things on topic, though, as I know it's popular to debate whether it's a handheld, console, hybrid, your mom's toilet, etc. on here!

With all of that out of the way, here's my choices:

*For the TV Console - A true phat PS3 (as in, the one with the Emotion Engine SoC on the board and not every model of the PS3 afterwards that resorts to software emulation at best). Obviously, these would require some maintenance to get them working for a lifetime, but once you do (or buy one off of eBay - these particular models aren't exactly cheap, mind you), you have access to not only the PS3 and everything before it, but also all of the emulators made to run on the PS3, which include RetroArch and many standalone options in addition to the homebrew made for the system! :)

*For the handheld console - Nintendo Switch. Yes, I'm going to consider the Switch a handheld device since it's the main thing that distinguishes it from any other console. If you want to get technical, I suppose you could go and use the Switch Lite. When hacked, this system can play so much more than what every other handheld console can without as many compromises.

And that's it for my opinions to start off. How about the GBATemp community's choices!? ;)

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Emulation or not tends to be the question here.

Probably go with 360. I like the games, not much past then has done much for me that I could not get there and the controller really works for me where the PS3 one renders my hand a claw before too terribly long.
    The limited BC with the original xbox is also a perk, and if I can have emulators like the original xbox set then sorted.

Handheld wise.
    DS. Loved the library, has compatibility with more or less everything before it.
    If the PSP had a slightly better library I would have done that, though that would probably mean a vita.
    3ds and Switch do nothing to enthuse me and form factors also not my thing.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I don't get why the gpd xd(+) is excluded if hacking is allowed for the answer. It's this a 'no because installing an emulator is too easy' or a 'of its not don't, Nintendo or Microsoft then it doesn't count' kind of reason. The thing is a handheld and it's meant for gaming. It would also be my handheld choice, but I'll avoid by the rules (though I don't agree with them)

So... TV console : ps4, probably. My favorites the WiiU, but without a pc to play the many indie games I love to play, the ps4 is probably the best in lineup (okay, I really love the controller... That's also an important one).

Handheld : switch. Yeah... Why go with anything but the best game lineup aside pc? I'd buy a controller with larger buttons, though.

4. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Console will be PS4 and Handheld will be VITA because of a good homebrew compatibility.

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    PS4 for console and Nintendo Switch (perhaps mini) for handheld.
    But this sure would get updated every time a new console gets out.

I have played other consoles too much already to really want them as the only "console", and I could probably play almost all games from those consoles on a switch or PS4, perhaps.

So I will bend "the rules" of this thread to make the answer a little more interesting (otherwise I would always choose one of the latest consoles available in each department anyway).

"What console would you recommend to a past version of yourself that still hadn't play the games over 9000 times and that could only play any and all games -from that console generation only- (i.e no ports, no emulators, etc.)"

If so, I would probably go with PS1 for the home console (or SNES perhaps?) and Nintendo DS for sure for handheld.

6. Chains

Chains GBAtemp Drifter
    Banned

United States
    My current setup, PS4, Switch.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    For me the choice is pretty obvious.
    Home console: The Wii U. Which might seem like an odd choice, but backwards compatibility with both GameCube and Wii games plus great emulation of anything up to and including SNES/GBA, plus decent N64 emulation, is a big deal. It's the only console where you can play pretty much every Nintendo console all the way from the NES up to the DS (with dual screens), GC/Wii, and obviously Wii U, all perfectly maybe with the exception of N64. And the Wii U itself might not have a lot to offer but what is there is really good.

Handheld: No doubt the Switch, that's the current handheld, with high popularity, tons of great games having come out already and more to come, plus the Vita is super dead. Which does make the Wii U a bit redundant as nearly every game worth playing on the Wii U has been ported to the Switch by now with more coming. But had I said the Wii then I would have lost out on DS games. And they do play great on the Wii U gamepad.

Between the two, I can play pretty much any Nintendo game regardless of generation. The only thing not covered right now is 3DS emulation, and that may be viable full speed on the Switch. Especially as they are both ARM based, making emulation much simpler.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 6, 2020
    tfocosta, Flame and Silent_Gunner like this.
  8. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

United States
    PS4, soon PS5. I have Switch but never portable anywhere. Not into bring video game to anywhere. I prefer at home and when I travel then I bring laptop for internet only because it is a must for me. I can't live without an internet during night time, lol.

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Console? OG Xbox. Handheld? Tough one... 3DS..

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...can I do the reverse? I bought an xbox360, 3DS and vita that barely got any playtime (at least the first and last one were second hand). Even hacked, I can't find the motivation to turn those things on. :P

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the gpd xd+ without emulation. It has some great android game ports(1), but not something I'd recommend for the rest of my former me's life.

For console: certainly the wiiu or the switch. If for no other reason than that my girlfriend hogs the TV so much that I can't ever manage to play on the actual TV. :P
    For handheld...honestly no idea. The problem is that I've got fairly big hands, resulting in fairly often not being able to zone out because the buttons feel so tiny.

(1): just started playing dead cells, for example

11. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Why not a Xbox 360? Can play Xbox with BC and has more powerful hardware for emulation, media playback, and so on.

12. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    The BC library is better with mods AFAIK. Already have a loaded OG Xbox system with more retro titles Than I know what to do with.

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Assuming whatever console I pick can be hacked and could be used to its fullest potential (ie. perfect world of homebrew development, utilizing every little bit of hardware/software as much as technically possible) and it has to be currently available, then I'd probably pick the PS4 Pro. Running Linux on PS4 you'll get some PC game compatibility, emulation of Wii/GC/PS2 and lower consoles, the entire PS4 library, and you get a little bit of VR as well. COnsole-wise you'd just be missing Switch/Wii U/Xbox One exclusives, but the former two are solved by the portable choice and the later one probably isn't a big deal for most people.

For handheld the obvious answer would of course be the Switch with the limitations you put in place, as it's the most recent and powerful portable currently available.

14. AkumaNoYami

AkumaNoYami Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Steam-Machine as Console
    and my Switch as a handheld o.o

15. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    That's cheating.

16. Silent_Gunner

Banned

United States
    Yeah, a Steam Machine is just a PC packaged and sold like a console, but with really shaky communication on what model is what, some models having more options than others, etc..

17. AkumaNoYami

AkumaNoYami Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    i know xD its just was a joke :)

hmm its hard to say .. i would say wii U (can i use the backwart compatiblity to play Gamecube games too?)
    and Handheld : Gameboy Advance SP :)

18. Silent_Gunner

Banned

United States
    You have to use Nintendon't to play GC games on the Wii U.

19. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    PS4pro for TV and a N3DS (non XL) for handheld gaming (with the huge libraries from GB/GBA/NDS readily available).

20. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I’m keeping my xbox360 as my console and psvita as my handheld.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - handheld, console, console