Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering about them too, maybe there's a way to incorporate them unofficially.
It would be way down on the priority list, though.

Reactions: Hargrun
D

Deleted-371971

I was wondering about them too, maybe there's a way to incorporate them unofficially.
It would be way down on the priority list, though.
So we will only play via hamachi(not that I mind),yet its going to be good to play via multiplayer :D

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Short demo of the wider text windows, they definitely come into good use.

xBZuJwl.jpg

More in spoiler.
FRcLxEK.jpg

UIo54x7.jpg

FxJ40yK.jpg

MHzj6qB.jpg

RhLrEYn.jpg

E1yT09o.jpg

And the long long process of updating all the older files to match the new window width:

Pxlc4MK.jpg

John Bach

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm looking forward to this like you cant believe, I have loved PSO since the Dreamcast. I tried getting PSO2 on the pc running, no luck. and just got my PSP Go back up and running after finding a new charging cord (Gamestop, 5 bucks for the whole charger), was a year without it :<

A_Man_Named_Jayne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm looking forward to this like you cant believe, I have loved PSO since the Dreamcast. I tried getting PSO2 on the pc running, no luck. and just got my PSP Go back up and running after finding a new charging cord (Gamestop, 5 bucks for the whole charger), was a year without it :<

You can also use a PSP emulator called PPSSPP and map the d-pad to the right analog of a 360 controller. Then you don't have to cramp your finger when moving the camera during gameplay. You can also transfer your save from PPSSPP to PSP and back.

John Bach

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use a PSP emulator called PPSSPP and map the d-pad to the right analog of a 360 controller. Then you don't have to cramp your finger when moving the camera during gameplay. You can also transfer your save from PPSSPP to PSP and back.
true, was just doing that earlier today with a windows tablet and a moga controler :>. a little laggy at times but ok otherwise. I still prefer playing on the psp go, just need to find a mem card and a video output cable lol

meinhard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My Hype is SO high for this project! I registered just to thank you for the huge contribute you are giving to the non-jap pso community. I played infinty A LOT (max rebirth with one char+ several other chars) especially with 2 friends of mine in local adhoc. We stopped playing because we got tired of being forced to search info in the devifoxx guide (he made a huge work, too) every time. If you need (and are planning to translate it) i'm pretty sure i have backups of most DLC on my HD. It makes me angry that Sega don't realize how much pso is loved outside of japan. It's a shame they always get a lot of juicy content and we are left with a downgraded version of games (no psp2i, no Blue Burst etc...). Again, thank you and good work :)

Reactions: IilliI
D

Deleted-371971

My Hype is SO high for this project! I registered just to thank you for the huge contribute you are giving to the non-jap pso community. I played infinty A LOT (max rebirth with one char+ several other chars) especially with 2 friends of mine in local adhoc. We stopped playing because we got tired of being forced to search info in the devifoxx guide (he made a huge work, too) every time. If you need (and are planning to translate it) i'm pretty sure i have backups of most DLC on my HD. It makes me angry that Sega don't realize how much pso is loved outside of japan. It's a shame they always get a lot of juicy content and we are left with a downgraded version of games (no psp2i, no Blue Burst etc...). Again, thank you and good work :)
You sure damm right about sega!They always leave their great games behind and alots of fans.Screw you SEGA!!!!

Reactions: IilliI

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thankfully you care about Phantasy Star, because "sounds" like Sega doesn't:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/0...-portable-yakuza-studio-thinking-of-a-new-ip/
That's a shame, really.

I thought Phantasy Star Nova would be revolutionary simply cuz tri-Ace (I'm still in love with Frontier Gate Boost+), but then... I didn't feel the "hype after demo".

And seeing the PSO2 and Nova popularity, I think we'll have to settle with PSP2i for the next 4~6 years, since these two will receive many expansions... (I'm fine with it.)

Plot twist: Sega releases Phantasy Star Zero 2 for 3DS.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm surprised as well. I've probably mentioned it before, but I really like this game, and I felt it scratched a specific itch that is quite niche, but I thought it appealed to a decently wide audience as well.
It's made for the numbers addict. The way the game is designed, it allows you to upgrade your items and character stats and see them rise in many different ways, and for many people that is a very addictive and appealing goal.

It's kind of like MH and its clones, but very different at the same time. MH appeals to another audience, it's like a more hardcore version. The series itself is harder, but it also makes you work more for it in various ways. You really have to learn the monster patterns since there are no level ups to make up for lack of player skill and knowledge. And other things like having to sharpen your weapons or they do no damage or break, the gathering of parts to make equipment, and so on.
And also how you have to traverse the same map for a long time and walk back and forth through the different areas to do a mission.

To me, personally that isn't appealing, because it felt more like a chore than a game that you play for fun, but I can understand that some (or better said, many) people like that kind of playstyle.
That's not to say that PSP2i is easy, this game can get quite hard at times too, but it's not as frustrating or makes you do non-fun things to play (preparation before hunting, weapon sharpening, etc.).
What this game is all about, is the fighting (or grinding, if that's what you want to call it), and the collecting of items. That's all, nothing more.
And collecting items is just another form of the numbers addiction game: you collect items to see your completion percentage increase.

But because the core gameplay is so simple — as the game doesn't bother you with boring aspects of some of the more "hardcore" games — it's a lot easier to get into or spend a lot of time on it.
And part of the numbers addiction game, it also appeals to the people who like to build strong characters. Think Diablo, or Path of Exile, and games like that.

There are many different items to be found, and many equipment and ability slots that you can fill to adapt to your playstyle. And because of how much variance there is, you can just keep playing without coming to an end. Cause when you max out the level, you can rebirth and start the whole thing again and know that you're stronger (again, the numbers game). And then again, and again after that.

And then there's the whole thing of when you finally have your super duper mega weapon, you need another one of it, because of the elemental affinities. Or another five, if you're a real perfectionist. And then you also want a high elemental percentage on them. Basically, you can just keep going and going, it's all about how much these things interest you, because the game lets you find as many things to do as you want.

That's why I was always surprised there are (seemingly) not many games like this. Because this game is deep and extensive, especially considering it's "just" a PSP game. As someone who has spent a lot of time theorycrafting builds on Path of Exile and min-maxing things (I spent a lot of time with the Windows calculator), this game didn't feel simple to me, it has a scope that very few games can match.

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wanted to discuss it's niche like you did, but I feared for my engrish, so be praying:

The gameplay aspect, what I believe is often called "skinner box" by you, is very, very tight. I basically only played PSP2 on my PSP for 1 year (the 1 year which I had it) not because of laughably elusive drop rates, but because the game was so fun. So many ways to play, almost every mechanic superior to PSPo (besides chains, techs and acros), a game that I love to death but now can't play because of how PSP2/i improved it.

However this isn't enough to charm players. What drew me to play it was a video of someone fighting De Ragan on PSPo. Fighting a gigantic dragon? Too kool. A little taste of it's gameplay was all I needed. Monster Hunter have these too (with several reservations), but MH lack a certain jump to action, as you get going far faster on PS. Dunno what MH did to become what it is, but so far I have no interest of playing it, but can't wait to start PSP2i.

The futuristic aesthetics of PS also look cooler to me. It's a rare kind of style in games, and I can't remember a game that use it besides Destiny, who some people considered "PSU FPS". I never played it, but I certain get the feel. Mirror's Edge might be loosely similar, and a niche too, but it's niche is enough to make Mirror's Edge 2 a possibility.

Maybe PSP2i was a flop because it is an updated version of PSP2, which can burn some players (like Dark Souls 2 Softs). But Nova looks like an entire new game, and PSO2 is very good and it would be PC's MonHun. Besides copyright clusterf-, I don't see why Sega doesn't localize these games. They look cool, there's nothing similar to it right now... Add some little advertising to grab eyes who don't care about every single new game and it would become huge. Well, they surely know better, but we don't say "A Sega é cega" often for nothing.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I'll do they better someday.

Reactions: Hargrun
D

Deleted-371971

That only is showing that great game dev's dont really care about their funs but only for the gold$$$$$

MrFwibbles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I often wonder how much of PSP2(/i)'s development Alfa System should be credited for, and how much was done by Sonic Team/Sega. I know it used PSU as a base, but it plays way more smoothly than PSU ever did and I get the feeling that Alfa System is responsible for that and that Sega only acted as a publisher.

Alfa System have some great games (Elemental Gearbolt!), but it looks like they're mostly known for working on ports.

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The gameplay aspect, what I believe is often called "skinner box"

That's exactly right, that's what it is. :)

What drew me to play it was a video of someone fighting De Ragan on PSPo.

I always wondered how much of the (relative) lack of popularity of this game was due to inadequate marketing. Not that it sold very poorly, but perhaps SEGA could've increased its popularity and longevity simply by presenting the good parts of the game better. The big monster fights as you mention, and some of the cooler looking weapons in action, for example.
SEGA is known for their poor marketing and business decisions in the past, that was largely why their earlier systems crapped out so fast compared to their competitors.
Bad marketing, lack of good franchises and bad timing on their console releases.

Or they could've made the game last longer by upholding stricter rules regarding cheating. I haven't played on the US servers, but I always saw how people mentioned they were rife with cheaters. Compare that to the JP servers, where they had a very strong anti-cheating policy.

And they could've held more online events with special missions and bonuses.
For example, the JP version had these special missions where you would get collectibles if you completed them, and you could trade those in for equipment and cosmetics exclusive to that event.
And it also had a global counter of some sort like in MMORPGs, if players across the server killed enough monsters (or did enough damage, I don't remember), that would unlock special rewards too.
Those missions were generally very fun since they were new and they had boosted drop rates and/or experience, and they gave you several specific goals to work toward, which was a great incentive for people to play more.

I assume those kind of events were never held in the US version, since SEGA is also known to be stingy with those type of things.
That's the kind of thing that makes your game last, and I felt they could've made more and/or better use of that. You can't even say that it's a waste of money for them, because they also sold all these cosmetic outfits on PSN for money, so more people playing means more people buying too. And naturally, if many people are already playing, others want to see what all the hype is about, and start playing too.
So it's a virtuous circle that reinforces itself.

That's why I thought, "if SEGA just made made their choices a little bit better..."

I often wonder how much of PSP2(/i)'s development Alfa System should be credited for ... and that Sega only acted as a publisher.

I read the same thing, so you're probably right. These guys know what they're doing.

Reactions: Fefo

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How curious. I didn't have the opportunity to play PSO, and only started playing PSU months before the official server shutdown.

Ironically, I also didn't know Monster Hunter and just started to play cuz GameSpot implying that MH was a PSO rip-off. (I liked PSU, so I decided to give a chance to MH.)

Today I still don't understand the comparisons... In my opinion both games flow very different.

For example, in MH you may face high level bosses wearing no armor at all (some quests require it), since moves like dodges grants you invincibility and just like guarding these merely depends on reflexes.

Now, Phantasy Star always had numbers above everything else. You can see your character hitting the enemy, but missing at the same time due to the low accuracy (and beasts are blind, a recurring joke).

I would say that MH is more intense in the action department, but in the end is a game about boss battles. Memorize their movements and hitboxes (some are laughable), defeat them without suffering a scratch and what is left? Nothing.

Reactions: meinhard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work