Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

D

Deleted-371971

Yep, this is a common trend with Japanese games, they like to do their line breaks manually, which is a crappy way of doing it in Japanese, but when you convert it to English, it turns outright hellish. There is a limited number of text windows and space, and that space is measured to fit the Japanese text. When you change it to English, which takes a lot more letters to spell something, suddenly you have much less space to work with.

Take a saying that comes up in this game for example: 一石二鳥, which means "killing two birds with one stone." In Japanese it's exactly four characters, in English it's thirty two including spaces. It's not always this extreme, but in general, this restriction is a huge killer for Japanese games that are translated to English.
Because not only is Japanese much more flexible with nuance, so many things are lost in a translation to English (take honorifics or politeness levels), with the space restriction on top of that, sometimes when you're playing a US version of a JP game, you're missing like half the content of the dialogue, since there was simply no space to put it.

So while Japanese elitists can be obnoxious, there actually is some truth in it (but usually they are elitists for the wrong reason. ;))
Luckily, PSP2i is relatively generous with its space for story text windows, so with some well thought out phrasing and some smuggling (transferring sentences from one window to another linked one), almost nothing was lost in the story dialog.
At first I was hoping that Jam could find a way to add more space, but apparently it's not that easy (or everyone would be doing it).

And the fun doesn't stop there: In Japanese, all the characters are generally the same size. So when you have a four character word, it takes up four characters every time, so you know how many characters per line you have to work with.
When you change it to alphabet, or specifically, to the PSP font, not all letters are the same width. IIIII is much more narrow than WWWWW, for example. That's why even if you adhere to a set character limit per line, sometimes it overshoots, as in the example picture above.

This issue without word wrapping is really common I feel, the official US version of vanilla PSP2 has it too, just look at where the line breaks are in text windows, they are completely irregular.
You can see it in some bigger games too, take Suikoden V for example (Googled images):

suikoden52.jpg

Suikoden_3_04.jpg

Which is almost certainly because of the same issue. :)

It's kind of an interesting subject, that's why I wanted to write a bit about it. You'd think that this is a really archaic system, but it still shows up in modern games too.
But in games like these, the translation is actually a relatively small part of the actual work (assuming you understand the source and target language well), the biggest challenge is to wrestle and pin down the limited space, and make it submit to you.
Can't you guys change the property of the text window size?

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first I was hoping that Jam could find a way to add more space, but apparently it's not that easy (or everyone would be doing it).

Can't you guys change the property of the text window size?

As Weyu mentioned he asked me to enlarge the chat windows quite a while back, just finished it today, didn't come out too bad.

Here's a comparison between the original and the new wider windows,
the text is just for test purposes of course.

window1.png

I also had to expand the chat log to match.

npjh50332_00214.jpg

D

Deleted-371971

As Weyu mentioned he asked me to enlarge the chat windows quite a while back, just finished it today, didn't come out too bad.

Here's a comparison between the original and the new wider windows,
the text is just for test purposes of course.

window1.png

I also had to expand the chat log to match.

npjh50332_00214.jpg
EXCELLENT!!Looks like a true game dev work or a professional game hacker,you sir sure are good on what you do I would love to test this right now!XD Anyway im looking forward to this project as its looking very good!!

Reactions: SMVB64 and IilliI

jbach44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried importing my save from PSP2, but I just read you need to convert it first?
also tried the game as a new player, looked nice so far

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy's a genius.
Would have been done a lot sooner if I was ;)

Now you know why... JamRules. :creep: *ba dum tss*

And I ask myself, what is hardest to learn: Hacking or Japanese? (Thinking about the second one.)

If we're comparing learning how to rom-hack for specific circumstances (e.g. English translation for psp) then learning Japanese is going to take much longer, worth doing though.

Also knowing Japanese obviously helps when trying to figure out how to hack things otherwise you might get a bit lost. I've been working on building my Japanese for much longer than I've been romhacking
(still a beginner at both)

Last edited by JamRules,

Mr.Carebear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think we're as likely to get official US servers as we are to get an Infinity localization at this point lol
I suppose so...maybe the new anime Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation will get us official US servers or a new game if the series is really popular like other animes that are based off MMOs.

Reactions: Hargrun

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I suppose so...maybe the new anime Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation will get us official US servers or a new game if the series is really popular like other animes that are based off MMOs.
Maaan, this anime had so many possibilities... But this will "feature an original story".

But yeah, let's hope this will attract new players. (And then, more games/localizations.)

If we're comparing learning how to rom-hack for specific circumstances (e.g. English translation for psp) then learning Japanese is going to take much longer, worth doing though.

Also knowing Japanese obviously helps when trying to figure out how to hack things otherwise you might get a bit lost. I've been working on building my Japanese for much longer than I've been romhacking
(still a beginner at both)
Just started learning Japanese! (Since I failed miserably in hacking.)

We should be ready for the 2020 Olympics. :lol:

Reactions: JamRules

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nah, they'll just rub some salt with an anime about "warriors, hunters and mages" and no game at all.

Last edited by Fefo,
Reactions: IilliI

Korma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, personally I don't think that'l happen. From what I've seen, the anime has almost nothing to do with the show, just a bunch of generic high school students playing Pso2. As much as I dislike SAO, it at least had a premise with people dying and all, but I don't see how the game will have anything to do with the actual conflict. I wanted an anime about the Arks and how Falz is fuckin shit up again and darkers invading planets, but no, we get a cash grab by sega riding off the coat tails of sword art and log horizon. Heck, I'll probably dislike even more than sword art since the anime's a slap in the face to fans of the actual goddamn franchise. I almost don't want it to be popular because of all this, I mean, for all it's short comings, sao at least tried, y'know? Pso2: The Animation will probably end up another generic anime in an already saturated market.

/rant

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you guys have a expected release date yet?
*Notes about release*

The patch will be released as a full patch, this means it won't be released until it is done.
It will most likely be a .xdelta patch once completed.

No release date has been decided
Always read the OP. Thankz.

This saves time for everyone.

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always read the OP. Thankz.

This saves time for everyone.

I actually just added that, I thought I already did but hadn't.
But yeah, the release date question has been asked/mentioned many times before.

Do you guys have a expected release date yet?

No release date has been decided yet, if one does get decided there'll be an update post.
There's still a lot to do so don't expect it to be soon.
Also it's very hard to estimate how long it will take as new issues always seem to arise,
at this stage I really have no idea when it will be ready

Last edited by JamRules,
Reactions: Hargrun

GorillaGD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you were hoping to use the online multiplayer aspect of this game, unfortunately Sega just closed the servers for them permanantly so you're going to have to use xlink kai or something from now on.

JC200X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've resolved that issue quite a while ago with PPSSPP via Evolve/Hamachi/PRO Online. I don't think anyone here was really worried much about the impending shutdown. I'll miss those GBR bonuses though.

Last edited by JC200X,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7