PC lags after backup

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Hey there! I've got quite the story here, so if you could please find some time and read it all and provide me with any help, it'll be very much appreciated! :bow:

First things first, I have a Samsung S3520 laptop (model: NP-S3520-A01 UK) running on Windows 7. So, thing is, about 2 months ago, I forced shut down my PC (using the Windows 7 option that appears whenever something is preventing shut down) while the scheduled Windows backup was going on.

The next time I powered my PC on, it would not go to the startup screen, it would give me the repair options. When I tried them, they would take forever. This would always be the case whenever I would boot my PC. So I decided to do the repair and reinstalled Windows 7 to factory settings using the CD that came with the laptop. So I lost everthing I had on my Local Disk C (where Windows was installed) but luckily I still had some stuff in Local Disk D.

However, my PC would always lag/freeze at times. It was never like that before. I don't think it's a driver issue because the factory reset reinstalled everything. Did I mess up with any drives when I did the force shut down? Can I get my PC to work flawlessly like before?:( Did something similar happen to anyone here before? Did you find a work-around? Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time and help!:yay:

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I would suggest starting with a chkdsk followed by a registry cleaner. Sounds like some system files are screwed up somehow.

I personally would take this as a sign that it's time to nuke and start from fresh. And don't forget to backup the activation/serial key for Windows.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It could be basic corruption but for my money this sounds like a hard drive or hard drive controller on the way out. I am guessing if you did not know how to boot a standalone disc and shuffle data off it you will not have something like http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or Hiren's boot CD (boot parted magic from either and see the drive health stuff).
Depending upon how far you have gone you might even be able to pull some of your old data back from the drive (the same discs above will usually come with photorec ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ) though you can also get a version for windows if you want and try to get some stuff there ).

It might be that there is a basic drive conflict or some such but one this old is not likely to have that happen at this point in time if you allowed basic updates to happen.

If it is a drive on the way out then grab all the data you can and stick it on an external drive or on another drive somewhere. You might be able to format the drive in such a way that you can still use part of it and ignore the bad sectors but I estimate about 70% of the time I do that the drive dies within a few months, said few months can be what you need to save up for a new hard drive though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.