Pay 60 and get Access to EVERY OUYA Game

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
What I'm still missing in this whole debate is how the developers feel about this. Chances of any revenue on developing for the ouya were never great, with the low ouya sales, having to give a free trial and low game prices. And now with this deal, those sales will be even less.

How will the income from this deal be distributed among those devs, by the way? There is no quality guarantee, and if they just decide to split the money evenly between all the available games (60 bucks to play 800 games means each game will give a game developer 0.07 cents per sold deal) it is basically encouraging those devs to produce MORE games rather than better ones (instead of one 'space wars' with 8 levels, we'll see 'space wars episode 1' through '...episode 8').

Forced free to play has been dropped. It's almost as bad for the industry in general as piracy. People would be FORCED to make good games to get people to buy them and guess what, very few people can make good games. Just look at how many 'big dev' game have been the biggest pile of crap ever created. [off topic] I recently was so disappointed with a free game on a 'real' system that I genuinely felt ripped off, even though the game was 100% free I felt like they had taken something away from me that I'll never get back.[/off topic]

As far as I can tell with this idea is that dev get whatever their asking price is for their games within reason. So if someone participating (currently in trial) downloads your game, OUYA hand over your asking price. However, that might not happen if you try to cheat the system and up your price to a stupid amount. They wont for example hand over $59.99 for a game that would cost $2.99 under regular circumstances. Also users aren't going to take the time to download every game they can find just because after their 30th game they are effectively 'free'. People are still going to avoid the games that don't interest them, just as they do now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Forced free to play has been dropped. It's almost as bad for the industry in general as piracy. People would be FORCED to make good games to get people to buy them and guess what, very few people can make good games. Just look at how many 'big dev' game have been the biggest pile of crap ever created. [off topic] I recently was so disappointed with a free game on a 'real' system that I genuinely felt ripped off, even though the game was 100% free I felt like they had taken something away from me that I'll never get back.[/off topic]

As far as I can tell with this idea is that dev get whatever their asking price is for their games within reason. So if someone participating (currently in trial) downloads your game, OUYA hand over your asking price. However, that might not happen if you try to cheat the system and up your price to a stupid amount. They wont for example hand over $59.99 for a game that would cost $2.99 under regular circumstances. Also users aren't going to take the time to download every game they can find just because after their 30th game they are effectively 'free'. People are still going to avoid the games that don't interest them, just as they do now.
I didn't know forced play was dropped. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Your idea seems feasible as well, but you also mention the drawback: devs will just try to sell their games for as much as possible. Not only does it generate more money from the ones in on this deal, it's also more likely that those people will actively download it (it's expensive, therefore it must be good!). Meanwhile, the ouya developers will have to actively start monitoring and grading games. Perhaps even in the end flat out denying developers to set their own price on their games.
But even then...the deal is for a year. With the general build quality of ouya games as it is*, chances that a game isn't your thing or that it's too short are common. Which'll lead to more than average downloads "to try it out". Especially with a deal like that, I actually expect EVERYONE to download over 30 games with it. Easily (depending on how heavy of an ouya-fan he/she is, that number may even be passed within a month).

*I normally don't want to touch this topic as it's open to interpretation...but here, I pretty much ahve to

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I didn't know forced play was dropped. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

No worries.

I actually expect EVERYONE to download over 30 games with it. Easily (depending on how heavy of an ouya-fan he/she is, that number may even be passed within a month).

I'm not so sure. I've had my OUYA for a while now and even during the 'everything has a free version' phase, I really wasn't interested in the majority of the games on there. I can't be the only person who actively avoids 'games' like Amazing Frog.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
As far as I can tell with this idea is that dev get whatever their asking price is for their games within reason. So if someone participating (currently in trial) downloads your game, OUYA hand over your asking price.

For that to work, OUYA would have to bank on people downloading less than $60 worth of games per yer on average. So, either they are selling a bad product, they have their finances pretty messed up, or they're not paying developers in the way that you've suggested

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For that to work, OUYA would have to bank on people downloading less than $60 worth of games per yer on average. So, either they are selling a bad product, they have their finances pretty messed up, or they're not paying developers in the way that you've suggested

Generally I'm thinking the Ouya userbase is so low and the amount of game downloads is even lower that they'd actually make a profit with people paying $60 a year to download the few good games on the system. I mean it's really quite sad.

As I mentioned earlier, the highlight of their "showcase" is Broken Age, an unfinished pile of mess made from the greedy, undisciplined shits at Double Fine.

Reactions: Skelletonike

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It's depressing how gbatemp (or anyone for that matter) is still following the ouya..
Especially after the announcement of Android TV.

wall.gif

I knew I shouldn't have even read this thread. It's clear that almost everyone here genuinely thinks that OUYA is nothing but a phone without a screen and that doing something first is a stupid idea, even though every man and his dog is now jumping on the micro console band wagon.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wall.gif

I knew I shouldn't have even read this thread. It's clear that almost everyone here genuinely thinks that OUYA is nothing but a phone without a screen and that doing something first is a stupid idea, even though every man and his dog is now jumping on the micro console band wagon.
Companies maybe. Consumers? Not really.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well companies generally don't make things that consumers don't buy.

As I said in another thread a long time ago, when the time is ready, Android boxes will likely eventually become the new VCR/DVD Player/PVR. Every electronics company will have a system or range of systems in their inventory - and you'll be able to pay anything from $20 to $300 for one.

This is why OUYA's business strategy is bad - they are basing an entire business model around something which can easily be copied, and they have nothing unique to bring to the table.

I myself have a box under my TV which I bought for $80 from China a couple of years back. Unfortunately it's not powerful enough for gaming and, even if it was, it has no support for joypads (despite having 4 USB ports at the back!) As time goes on I shall probably get another one - but I doubt it'll be an OUYA considering all the competition around.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this thing is already dead with amazin fire tv out and google android tv looming over the horizon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo