Hardware Partion A SD Card ?

• Thread starter pasc
  • Start date
  • Views 932
  • Replies 7
P

pasc

OP
Since the Play-Yan seemingly only supports 1 GB Cards and I only own 2 and 4 GB ones:

Is there any way to partition the card to only have 1 GB available (FAT 32) ?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess it doesn't support SDHC? Have you tried some of your 2GB cards? If they're not SDHC, they'll probably work anyway. But if that is the issue, I don't think you can do that. You can partition the card to only have 1GB available, but it probably won't help if SDHC is the issue.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah there is, I recall having to do such a thing years ago for a few flash carts that had also not added 2 gig support (to be fair at the time 2 gig SD cards cost an absolute fortune). 4 gig is more likely than not to be SDHC so I doubt that will work.

I believe you can even do it in windows diskmgmt.msc but I do prefer gparted for this sort of thing.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The type (SD/SDHC/SDXC) is part of the physical card and can't be changed by formatting.
If you really want to get technical, all cards are the plain SD type; SDHC and SDXC are just extensions to guarantee that the device can read a certain amount of storage. They all have the same hardware, it's just the software support that differentiates them.

That being said, I definitely think it's worth a shot to make a 1GB partition. Just make sure that's it's a little under 1GB, because it won't read it if the partition is 1.00001GB, which can frustratingly happen because of Windows being dumb with GB and GiB.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have to buy a 1Gigabyte one...

Alright, thanks.
I am not sure what the other purpose the other posts were serving (nice discussion, largely irrelevant though I do have to note there were a few SD controllers rather than all software things but again that is a different discussion) but I have seen it be necessary to drop the partition size before for these older devices. I am not sure what would be changed to allow for 2 gigs rather than 1 but you certainly can repartition to allow it to work in some cases.

Still if it is just a SD/microSD with adapter then I do suggest old mobile phone shops or if people have an old mobile phone in a draw they can work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.