Partion A SD Card ?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by pasc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pasc
    OP

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Since the Play-Yan seemingly only supports 1 GB Cards and I only own 2 and 4 GB ones:

Is there any way to partition the card to only have 1 GB available (FAT 32) ?

Thanks in advance for answers.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I guess it doesn't support SDHC? Have you tried some of your 2GB cards? If they're not SDHC, they'll probably work anyway. But if that is the issue, I don't think you can do that. You can partition the card to only have 1GB available, but it probably won't help if SDHC is the issue.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yeah there is, I recall having to do such a thing years ago for a few flash carts that had also not added 2 gig support (to be fair at the time 2 gig SD cards cost an absolute fortune). 4 gig is more likely than not to be SDHC so I doubt that will work.

I believe you can even do it in windows diskmgmt.msc but I do prefer gparted for this sort of thing.

4. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The type (SD/SDHC/SDXC) is part of the physical card and can't be changed by formatting.

5. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    If you really want to get technical, all cards are the plain SD type; SDHC and SDXC are just extensions to guarantee that the device can read a certain amount of storage. They all have the same hardware, it's just the software support that differentiates them.

That being said, I definitely think it's worth a shot to make a 1GB partition. Just make sure that's it's a little under 1GB, because it won't read it if the partition is 1.00001GB, which can frustratingly happen because of Windows being dumb with GB and GiB.

6. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
  7. pasc
    OP

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    So I have to buy a 1Gigabyte one...

Alright, thanks.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not sure what the other purpose the other posts were serving (nice discussion, largely irrelevant though I do have to note there were a few SD controllers rather than all software things but again that is a different discussion) but I have seen it be necessary to drop the partition size before for these older devices. I am not sure what would be changed to allow for 2 gigs rather than 1 but you certainly can repartition to allow it to work in some cases.

Still if it is just a SD/microSD with adapter then I do suggest old mobile phone shops or if people have an old mobile phone in a draw they can work.