QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was little, my parents liked to pretend that any non-sense I thought was coming from them was all in my imagination or I was just being unreasonable. But now that I'm older I think back about the "advice" or "suggestions" they used to give to minor problems and I realize that, Parents Really Are Pretty Crazy People--not in a bad way at all. I, like and maybe even unlike many of my fellow tempers, love my parents dearly and try to be a good kid, worry about their future etc, etc. but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything they say--especially when it was all folly spoken to make me go sit still and be quiet*

I've decided that it would be fun to make a small, online book--like a PDF book, Titled "Parents say the darnedest things" and have decided to start a minor online campaign to get people to submit short true/based on true experiences of their parents giving them nonsense advice. It can be as simple as

Me: Mom, my arm hurts.
Mom: You'll be okay if you go lie down and be still.

Or a short story, but I decided that I will launch the campaign here on my favorite web-hangout GBATEMP.NET.
biggrin.gif

I plan to carry this campaign as far as I can and make the book up this fall, if you want to then I'd be thrilled to have your stories submitted to my new email address--they can be signed with your name and location, or your username and the site that name is from, or not at all:

[email protected].

*This seems to have been my moms favorite advice for any worldy discomfort short of burning alive or death itself.

If I was hungry still after dinner then, I needed to go lie down. When it was summer and 6 kids had to share one room with only a rickety rotating fan and we were hot, we needed to "Just lie down and be still." When my sister was being mean and I need parental backup, we were both "just tired" and told that we'd all feel better if we just went in the room and laid down quietly and were still for oh, roundabouts 30 minutes,
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, so you can all submit or not, hopefully you'll be seeing this around the web a bit as I plan to get at least 100 entries and will be campaigning online to get this off the ground.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Turn off the AC, you'll catch a cold!

And whenever my mum wants me to turn off the PC, she'll tell me;

"Turn off the PC or else the PSU will overheat!"

... This was with a brand new PSU. She just wanted the PC off for no reason other than it being off.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mom thinks that wrinkles in jeans are a big deal and make people look like bums. But it's really the hipsters that wear their sister's jeans that make them so tight. And only tools iron their jeans XD

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If your running they come out with stuff like "You won't get there any faster."
Cheaters never prosper.

Once you think about some of the stuff parents say is really quite stupid.

~ Commander

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
When I turned 16 my parents turned to me and said "Right, it cost us alot of money to bring you up and you can start paying us back now". Does that count?
wink.gif

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
When I turned 16 my parents turned to me and said "Right, it cost us alot of money to bring you up and you can start paying us back now". Does that count?
wink.gif
No, because they're right XD But if you can get away with not paying rent when you get a job then that's fine too.

distorted.freque

I'm getting mixed signals here!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The only funny thing I remember about my mom was when my dad was late at coming home sometimes and she'd worry that he had gone to some bathroom, fainted, and hit his head against a sink. That was really weird.

Oh! And she once told me that if I have someone eat something with my spit on it...I'd be able to control that person. D:

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One day when me and my two brothers were playing our Sega Master System we must have forgotten to do something my Dad asked us to do. So he came in and blew up screaming "Bloody SEGA!!!" at us and promptly took it away.

From then on whenever we would do something wrong or forget to do something it was always the "Bloody SEGA!", even if we hadn't even been playing the system.....

We found it hilarious especially since he kept saying it even once we had systems like the N64 and then a PS2. Me and my mates still use it as a general saying when we are pissed off, lol.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Dio said:
TrolleyDave said:
wink.gif
No, because they're right XD But if you can get away with not paying rent when you get a job then that's fine too.

You must be joking mate. When I turned 16 my parents charged me 30 quid a week to stay there. By the time I'd hit 18 it was 70 quid! I'd say they were trying to get rid of me except they didn't actually leave me enough cash for it! lol

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
May I assume that, for those who've submitted something on this board that I may credit your username and this site right beneath it in the "book"?

You should note whether or not you want to be annonymous...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're going to quote me then make anon. Not that I think my old 'uns would ever read the book but most things have been mended now so wouldn't want to drag it all up again if it ever got back to them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?