Hacking PAL Pikmin 2 on NTSC-U - USB Loader

Austin W80

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get Pikmin 2 PAL working on any USB Loader. My system is 3.2U, cIOS Rev 12, USB Loader GX Rev 366, Cover flow, USB Loader 1.5.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, that and Little King's Story are the two PAL games that absolutely refuse to work on an NTSC system short of the perfect set-up (TV-wise)

Janikola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Older thread but maybe someone is still interested. I have PAL Pikmin 2 and have managed to get it working on my NTSC-U Wii.

I ran the ISO through RegionFrii (Google it) and changed the region from PAL to USA. I used USB Loader GX and NeoGamma to load it using Disc Region for the VidOut setting and VidPatch ON and Error 002 Enabled.

If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me or reply to this same post.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I just wrapped up Pikmin 1 and was going to give Pikmin 2 (PAL version on an NTSC Wii with USB Loader GX r921) a try and I'm running into the same problem. Gave Janikola's method a try and had no luck. Anyone figure out the right combination to get this one to work?

Regards,

GC

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
gamecaptor said:
Hello all,

I just wrapped up Pikmin 1 and was going to give Pikmin 2 (PAL version on an NTSC Wii with USB Loader GX r921) a try and I'm running into the same problem. Gave Janikola's method a try and had no luck. Anyone figure out the right combination to get this one to work?

Regards,

GC

why do people use pal if their are usa, you should know by now that pal doesnt work well with nstc tvs, but you could try to force nstc 60 and region

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately Pikmin 2 has not been released in the US on the Wii and from the looks of things it very likely never will be. The only other option is to track down a Game Cube version, but I enjoy playing it with the Wii remote. Back in the “olden days” there were all sorts of ways to patch/hack PAL games to work on NTSC machines and have it look just fine. It seems that this generation, or at least on the Wii, it’s not so easy. I’ve been reading around on other forums and it seems people are having some luck getting it to work, just have to figure out the correct settings. If/when I get that I will post it here so others can use the information.

Regards.

gamecaptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah-ha! Got it working.

My Setup is:
Wii 4.2U
IOS249 r19
USB Loader GX r921
Using Component Cables to connect my Wii to my TV

I ran the Pikmin 2 PAL ISO through RegionFrii v1.2 and converted it to USA (used default settings).

The settings I used for USB Loader GX is:

Video Mode: System Default
VIDTV Patch: ON
Game Language: Console Default
Ocarina: OFF
ISO: IOS249
Error 002 Fix: NO
Patch Country String: OFF
Alternate DOL: Default
Block IOS Reload: Off

I hope this proves useful for someone else. I do not have any other PAL games to test, but I'm thinking these settings might also work with them.

Looking forward to getting through Pikmin 2 since Pikmin 3 is “well underway”:
http://kotaku.com/5497766/pikmin-3-well-un...y-says-miyamoto

Regards

neogalahad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My setup that is similar but less steps:

Wii 4.2
IOS249 I want to say 17 I havent updated in months
Newest USB loader GX, I just use the network update
Compenent cables on a Sharp Aquos 46" LCDTV

I did not use the Region Frii patch only settings in USB loader GX:

Video Mode: System Default
VIDTV Patch: ON
Game Language: Console Default
Ocarina: OFF
ISO: IOS249
Error 002 Fix: NO
Patch Country String: OFF
Alternate DOL: Default
Block IOS Reload: Off

I think the biggest issue is the System Default setting for the video mode because I had exact same setup but with video mode as Force NTSC. So Region Frii patch is not needed in this situation.

BTW sorry for bumping old post. I just wanted everyone to know that I was having the same issue but this setup worked for me.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davidnlta said:
the only way to get this game to work on ntsc is with an HDTV and component cables without both you cant play the game seriously how many times must this be said....
I was reading the other recent thread about Crediar's latest video patching and some of the comments about people not being able to get Pikmin 2 PAL working with their NTSC setups. I've had the game on my HD for quite some time but the computer I used to put it on there isn't working at the moment, so I can't be certain what, if anything, I might have done to the ISO before putting it on the HD. But the point is, unless you mean something different by 'component cables' (which I doubt), then you are sadly mistaken and it doesn't matter how many times you say it either.
wink.gif

Seriously though. We only recently got a LCD HDTV (RCA 40" - Model L40FHD41 impulse purchase from Wal-Mart), and were using an old CRT TV before and I want to say the game even worked with that. It most certainly works with the new LCD TV using the standard cables that came with the Wii. I only tried the game to see if my memory was failing me because I generally keep note of non-working games, and I certainly wouldn't have thrown it on the HD if that was the case, but it was there so I gave it a go expecting the same bad results others mentioned, but nope, using WiiFlow 2.0 with cIOS249rev14 and all my default settings (again, I might have done something to the ISO before dumping it on the HD but I can't remember or check at the moment) it works perfectly. One of my boys and his mother are battling it out as I type.
smile.gif

So, either something changed in the last few months (I doubt it), or you and others have been incorrect ALL the times you or anyone else has said that the only way to get the PAL version to work on NTSC consoles is with an HDTV and component cables. No component cables here. I'm half-tempted to plug the Wii back into the old TV to see if it did indeed work with that too, but I'm feeling too lazy at the moment.
laugh.gif

EDIT: Wii is 3.3U.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davidnlta said:
nothings changed all the means is the tv you were using supported pal signal but if you do google around you will see that im right.
Ah. I see. My confusion lies in the fact that everone is discussing this in terms of NTSC-U Wii's, when it's actually an NTSC TV question (which upon further thought, I guess should have been obvious).

Anyways, you just said in the other thread QUOTE(davidnlta @ Aug 1 2010, 04:00 PM) hmm i thought pikmin 2 pal always worked on ntsc hd tv with component cables atleast it does with me without changing any video modes.
More confusion. Does your TV also support PAL signals and therefore your comments are irrelevant to the discussion because you're not even using an NTSC signal? If you're settings are defaulting to using the games video mode, then that would be a 'yes' I take it? And if so, perhaps you should have worded your "the only way" post a little more appropriately, such as "the only way to play this on an NTSC-U Wii with your NTSC TV is if your TV also supports PAL signals AND it DOES NOT require component cables if your TV does".

Since you say you didn't change any of your video modes, have you even tried forcing any NTSC video modes? Again, if not and you're simply playing the game in its intended video mode (PAL), then your comments are misleading. On the other hand, if you do (or have already) try it with NTSC forced and it works AND only with the component cables, then you may be right. But given the other members' results, I don't think that'll be the case, unless the patching fails to do anything and the game appears to be working in NTSC video mode but is really still running in PAL video mode.

Anyways, if the game is simply running for me with no problems and with the standard cable simply because I got a TV that supports PAL signals, I'm fine with that. It certainly wasn't one of the things I was looking for when we picked the TV out so I guess I just got lucky as I see no mention of it in the manual/spec sheet (unless it's referred to as something other than PAL).

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower (i believe it was him?) speculated that the Sneek video patch change was to get Pikmin 2 working on NTSC sets, but so far noones had any success getting it going in 480i

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurai said:
WiiPower (i believe it was him?) speculated that the Sneek video patch change was to get Pikmin 2 working on NTSC sets, but so far noones had any success getting it going in 480i
It sucks this won't work on 480i. Not that I want to play it right now, but I'm planning on finishing the first Pikmin soon. There is absolutely no way to get this to work on NTSC?

PrinceNOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
jurai said:
It sucks this won't work on 480i. Not that I want to play it right now, but I'm planning on finishing the first Pikmin soon. There is absolutely no way to get this to work on NTSC?
Yes HDTV compatible with pal signals with component cable.

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well if you try to force it on a 480i only tv then you get a green screen or a black screen but when i plug my component cables into my 480i tv then i can atleast get somewhat of a picture but its completely unplayable do to the picture not being clear at all. so component cables seem like a viable part of getting this game to run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: