Pachter Predicts Nintendo Will ‘Dreamcast Itself’ with Wii U

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been in the game long enough to know what to do.

Dreamcast wasn't a failure, in fact it was a great console. I don't think the WiiU will have the same path as the Dreamcast though.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I am not entirely sure why people are so down on this guy (well I probably do but I am playing the optimist at this point in time) and I said most of what I felt like saying in the last thread concerning him although I will reiterate that sadly it is not always sales and such that dictate share price ( http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Nintendo_%28NTDOY%29 ) which is what this guy is concerned with/paid to look at the future of with an eye to advising others on the matter.
Still I can see his logic and although I would like it not to be the case (if the wii u can edge out the other two and gain the best multiplat versions of games and maybe a few nice exclusives I will want to be there for it for the couple of years until Sony or MS release and make viable their next entries) competing against entrenched opponents is rarely a brilliant idea and especially if people looking at your business model are calling for you to try to make large amounts of growth.

As for the dreamcast if the item you intend as your main profit making venture fails to make enough money to sustain your company that would count as a failure.
Everyone who follows gaming news hates Patcher because the only statements he ever comes out with are to the effect that either (a) Nintendo will fail, or (b) smartphone gaming will take over and destroy the gaming market.

If he ever says anything else, it's almost to a similar flamebaiting effect. It's almost like he's trying to ignite controversy to get himself onto news sites.

Edit: And he hasn't been right so far

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Two thumbsticks, some triggers, two bumpers, same amount of buttons. Looks like a controller built to take on 360/playstation a like games to me.
Sliders, not sticks - that's Strike 1. Four shoulder buttons, but not one of them is an analog trigger, Strike 2. No Strike 3, fortunatelly - those are my only complaints, really. That, and I'm a bit worried that I'll be hitting the X/Y/A/B buttons with my palm while using the right analog slider, but I'll reserve my judgement of it until I actually get to hold it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did consider questioning the use of the word hate and everybody but that would be much like calling someone on grammar/spelling despite them not deserving it.

Anyhow the previous thread I was referring to http://gbatemp.net/topic/321850-michael-pachter-defends-nintendo-in-disarray-claims/page__st__15 (probably should have linked that up earlier but hey). I would probably never buy the guy a beer but I am not prepared to dismiss his professional opinion just yet (now if you were to accuse him of retrofitting logic to news that I might see some debate in and equally I agree entirely he needs the exposure to maintain whatever semblance of authority he might have). Part of not being ready to dismiss him is I would agree Nintendo is not going a lot to ensure a good financial future to my eyes let alone a great one and mobile phone/browser/tablet stuff plays a large part in that and in the games industry in general (although I might call a similar split to what we see in educational games and "proper" games or even what we see now games rose up to compete with the music and film/tv world in terms of slice of fun stuff money).

@Foxi4 yeah I agree that might be reaching a bit but I still hold that any current non move/kinect playstation or 360 game could be adapted to that with relative ease. I did build a quick mockup back when it was announced and it held well even if it was a bit heavier than might be ideal. I probably should have also pondered what the other controllers will look like (assuming there is still just the one tablet and a bunch of lesser controllers).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Foxi4 yeah I agree that might be reaching a bit but I still hold that any current non move/kinect playstation or 360 game could be adapted to that with relative ease. I did build a quick mockup back when it was announced and it held well even if it was a bit heavier than might be ideal. I probably should have also pondered what the other controllers will look like (assuming there is still just the one tablet and a bunch of lesser controllers).
Oh, games can definatelly be "adapted" to the controller, it's just my honest belief that a hardware company should do their best to make their console the best possible choice both for gamers and developers alike and to give developers access to the best, most comfortable and pleasant control schemes. Seeing that analog triggers were present on the Gamecube two generations ago, I don't see a reason as to why the WiiU should be stripped of them, ESPECIALLY since they became a standard last generation. I'm mainly thinking of games that require varied levels of pressure to manipulate objects, for example drifting and acceleration in racing games, opening slowly vs. kicking doors open in action games and so on and so forth. I sincerely hope that this will be one of those "last minute changes" and that they'll come to their senses about that. A touchscreen can only take you so far, analog gives you the tactile response you need.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People still listen to this guy? He said the Wii would finish dead last in the console race in terms of sales. He said the 3DS was "underpriced" at $250. If he had been around in '95 he would have said Nintendo would no longer be around after the N64.

Reactions: 2 people

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will be fine, they have a ton of money saved up even if it does fail. After all Nintendo has lived through a fail before (remember the virtual boy?) I'd say that Nintendo has the most powerful first party out of the three and they know that. Third party is important for Nintendo but its the first party that sells their consoles and as long as they have adequate first party support on and after launch they it will probably sell well.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Two thumbsticks, some triggers, two bumpers, same amount of buttons. Looks like a controller built to take on 360/playstation a like games to me.
Sliders, not sticks - that's Strike 1. Four shoulder buttons, but not one of them is an analog trigger, Strike 2. No Strike 3, fortunatelly - those are my only complaints, really. That, and I'm a bit worried that I'll be hitting the X/Y/A/B buttons with my palm while using the right analog slider, but I'll reserve my judgement of it until I actually get to hold it.
Two strikes, maybe, but it all depends on whether Nintendo can make a hit with that screen, and the rest of the rubbish on that controller.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two strikes, maybe, but it all depends on whether Nintendo can make a hit with that screen, and the rest of the rubbish on that controller.

Personally the screen just seems like it'd just be used for inventory and menus, which never struck me as a problem that needed a solution in the first place. The rest of its uses seem to be basically what the DS (and now 3DS) screen is used for, like mini-games and crap, and I really wouldn't take touchscreen features and gameplay aspects ever in place of standard stick and buttons gameplay.

In the end if they just cut the screen and made the controller rather basic and maybe added top-notch motion controls then I'd look at the system a lot more favorably. Instead of just shotgunning new concepts I'd rather they focus on one and improve on it. Wii motion controlling was far from perfect, WM+ helped but it's still with issues. Give me a system that blows both the Move and Kinect out of the water and gives me motion controls without a SINGLE issue (no recalibration, little delay, very few restrictions) along with a standard control scheme so I can "play my way" then I'll be impressed.

It's kinda like in gaming. A good sequel takes the bad aspects of its predecessor and makes them good. A bad sequel abandons everything that could use fixing in favor of something new. It's why I like Mass Effect 2 a lot but really don't like No More Heroes 2, for instance. Nintendo is kinda doing the same with motion controls, just buying into the tablet craze/fad/trend/whatever instead of developing a frontier of motion controls that its competitors will look like children in comparison to.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Frankly the DS and 3DS touch screens have been fantastically useful in a number of games. And hell, even if it ended up being used predominately for maps and manus, I would still be happy. I just finished Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and went straight on to Symphony of the Night. I instantly noticed how much I needed the map on the DS top screen in OoE. That said, it's definitely going to be used for more than maps, what with baseball mode and all the motion control features.

Reactions: 1 person

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't we have a very long thread laughing at what a moron Patcher was for the last nugget of knowledge he bestowed upon any dumbass willing to listen to him?

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox