Pachter Believes PS Vita Will Rob Nintendo’s Market Share

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I don't care how powerful the console is. Games are the ones which matter. Give me a fancy shooter, RPG and some more nice arcade and I'm sold. I am willing to save up for both no matter how long it takes.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferofax said:
*ferofax's bigass post*
I was referring to the systems from a technical standpoint, not who wins the situation. It's true that the PSV is technically more innovative (quality over quantity? Different topic, different time), but I never tried to cross into an actual situation.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
@ferofax

Ugh. lolwut?

Sony is adding shit because even smart phones come with tons of stuff that they're adding. With smart phones starting to invade the handheld gaming market, it's either throw a bunch of shit in there, or don't try to market your product. What Nintendo does has little bearing on the design of the Vita. The Vita isn't just "Oh look at the better hardware" either. Game selection, system functions, and the like are determining factors in a system purchase. Staring at the brand name as much as you are just leads to fanboyism, then you just sound like a douche (not directed at anybody in particular, but something to keep in mind).

3D will become what we consider the norm. Why? It's a fad. It's a technology fad. Yes, those exist. Eventually, the novelty will wear off, and nobody will think anything of it, while I'm still sitting here enjoying my non-HD tube television.

It seems you are also assuming the rear touch pad will have constant use. Wrong. It will be used if a developer finds a use for it, and then that's only if they want to implement it. Unless a game is made to utilize the rear touch pad in a way that is vital towards game play, there is likely to be a way to shut off its function for that game.

You're also assuming that the PSP did absolutely terrible. Yes, in the west, the PSP didn't do as good as the DS as Sony's premier handheld in a previously completely Nintendo owned handheld market. I can't understand how people don't understand that Nintendo had no real competition for a very long time, and thus, people went with what they were used to. Sony has shown they are competent, and that will hold in this generation. You can't say the new Sony handheld will fail just because it isn't a Nintendo handheld (which is what I'm getting from that entire post).

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i never said anything about Sony failing, or the PSV in general. sure, my post sounded more like "bashing", but i'm pretty sure that most of them are sensible points, at the very least. but since i didn't see anybody contesting Sony's gimmicks, i think it's safe to assume that at this point, Sony has officially joined the bandwagon of "gimmicry". (attn:Slyakin, you said the PSV is technically more innovative, so read on) I'd call it innovation if it was something new, but no. 3G? nope, smart phones do it better. well, they use it anyways. touchpanels/screens? so 2004. given, back placement is unorthodox, but not enough to call it "innovative". even if it was multitouch/capacitive(?), it's still old news as Apple got em first. gyro? pfft. Wii Remote has it first. Cameras? don't get me started on that one. (but i'm curious, PSV camera will probably look much, much better than the 3DS. it'll be ironic if it sucked with all that "muscle"). I'll tell you it's innovative if the developers come up with something really new with old technology (example, developers incorporating face-tracking on cameras to make an augmented reality game. that was innovative use of old tech). on second thought, nah. if developers even do find some surprisingly new use for PSV features, +1 for devs, as they're the ones who innovated, not Playstation.

As for the rear touchpanel issue, i'm not an idiot to assume that it's constantly gonna be on. but on the games that DO use them, then my question stands. how do you actually hold it if you're gonna need fingers poised on it? i bet it won't be as comfortable as some thinks. it could even lead to units slipping off your hand if you're not careful, unless the PSVita has some sort of molded grip i haven't seen that helps you hold it even with fingers poised on the back.

And from what i can recall, Playstation consoles/hardware have always been "oh look at the better hardware". Everybody's harping on that this unit is X times more powerful than this/that, faster/better, etc. So does Microsoft's Xbox. It's their main selling point, isn't it? Don't tell me it isn't. I've seen/read/heard too much practically everywhere. When it comes to Playstation/Microsoft machines, it's always been about the hardware, whether or not the companies themselves are promoting them based on that.

but really, what's to argue? we'll all know soon enough. i really couldn't care less about Pachter's comments.

...oh, and sorry if tl;dr.
laugh.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferofax said:
i never said anything about Sony failing, or the PSV in general. sure, my post sounded more like "bashing", but i'm pretty sure that most of them are sensible points, at the very least. but since i didn't see anybody contesting Sony's gimmicks, i think it's safe to assume that at this point, Sony has officially joined the bandwagon of "gimmicry". (attn:Slyakin, you said the PSV is technically more innovative, so read on) I'd call it innovation if it was something new, but no. 3G? nope, smart phones do it better. well, they use it anyways. touchpanels/screens? so 2004. given, back placement is unorthodox, but not enough to call it "innovative". even if it was multitouch/capacitive(?), it's still old news as Apple got em first. gyro? pfft. Wii Remote has it first. Cameras? don't get me started on that one. (but i'm curious, PSV camera will probably look much, much better than the 3DS. it'll be ironic if it sucked with all that "muscle"). I'll tell you it's innovative if the developers come up with something really new with old technology (example, developers incorporating face-tracking on cameras to make an augmented reality game. that was innovative use of old tech). on second thought, nah. if developers even do find some surprisingly new use for PSV features, +1 for devs, as they're the ones who innovated, not Playstation.

As for the rear touchpanel issue, i'm not an idiot to assume that it's constantly gonna be on. but on the games that DO use them, then my question stands. how do you actually hold it if you're gonna need fingers poised on it? i bet it won't be as comfortable as some thinks. it could even lead to units slipping off your hand if you're not careful, unless the PSVita has some sort of molded grip i haven't seen that helps you hold it even with fingers poised on the back.

And from what i can recall, Playstation consoles/hardware have always been "oh look at the better hardware". Everybody's harping on that this unit is X times more powerful than this/that, faster/better, etc. So does Microsoft's Xbox. It's their main selling point, isn't it? Don't tell me it isn't. I've seen/read/heard too much practically everywhere. When it comes to Playstation/Microsoft machines, it's always been about the hardware, whether or not the companies themselves are promoting them based on that.

but really, what's to argue? we'll all know soon enough. i really couldn't care less about Pachter's comments.

I find it funny people always want something new instead of something that works. The 3D on the 3DS is imperfect technology. From what I've heard it's more of a pain to use than actually fun. The sweet spot is a gigantic annoyance and, in my friend's words, "defeats the purpose of a [3]DS." Outside of the 3D, everything that's been on the 3DS has pretty much become a norm or highly popular amongst modern electronics.

You do realize devs are supposed to be innovative, right? Any retard can make a game with new technology and call it innovative. Only a real master of his craft can make a game on old technology and have it considered innovative. Considering the PS2 offered an identical control scheme to the PSX but featured many groundbreaking and innovative games, I'll say this whole "WE NEED INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY" thing is absolute bullshit. I don't want my games to be innovative, I want them to be fun. Whatever happened to people caring about gameplay, story, hell even graphics (as much as people love railing on HD graphics because they think they're such gamer snobs, I actually like my games to look good)? Nowadays all I hear is "NEEDS MOAR INNOVATION" and the similar cries of Wii fanboys because they realized Nintendo gimped their system on power and they needed something to gloat about.

And to me, power is a selling point. I want an upgrade, not a downgrade with some stupid controls. PC gaming has done this for, oh, how many years? Ever since the modern computer set-up (keyboard, mouse, and internet) has been around, PC gaming has essentially just gotten more powerful. Yet so many people consider the PC the best of the gaming platforms, and rightly so.

I'm just sick of this "it needs to be innovative" bullshit when people weren't screaming about this a decade go or more. They only start screaming about it now because they got a Wii (I like my Wii but I realize it's faults), they realized it's almost completely gimped in every department (functionality, online features, graphics, storage space, etc) and wanted to gloat about being such "true gamers".

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pachter is once again being a stupid troll. Here are some flaws in his argument:

Console release: Late releases without any kind of innovation pretty much kill your chances at doing better in the console sales market. Nintendo already has a solid user base with the 3DS, and the DS was the most popular portable gaming system since the Gameboy sales wise.

User reception: The PSP was by all accounts the most successful competitor to Nintendo, but they still were behind in the market share by at least 60%. Expecting users to receive another hand held with a high launch price tag (no doubt by the time it comes out Nintendo might be price cutting the 3DS to increase sales) with a short battery life, are things that will hamper user reception.

Games: We saw it with the DS launch, we saw it with the PSP and even the 3DS. Sales started off slowly because of the lack in game selection and quality titles from multiple developers. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't thrive on 1st party development nearly as much because their franchises don't have near the market recognition. Nintendo can release a game using any of their mascots and it would sell like hot cakes. The 3DS will have a strong game base as well as a variety of services available to players long before the PS Vita comes out, Nintendo already has the eShop running and the video store as well as Netflix are coming out shortly.

We aren't talking about two devices that are explicitly different anymore, it's all about the visual presentation now for Nintendo and less about innovating the hardware, despite the fact that the 3DS has the gyroscope sensors and 3D cameras and screen now. Sony is going the same route with the graphics but ultimately the power of their device and just how much it consumes a battery could be a potential downfall.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
You know what's a gimmick? The ability to play a version of CoD, Killzone or Uncharted on the bus in tiny vision. Stuff like Little Deviants, Mr Inkjet and maybe Gravity Daze is what Sony needs to push as a system seller, something that's suited to the handheld platform and provides a game experience you can't get anywhere else. The danger is that people will go "Well, I'll just play the latest (insert graphically amazing space marine/terrorist blastfest with a rich online aspect) on my PS3 or 360 when I'm at home and I'll buy a 3DS to play Professor Layton, Kid Icarus, Phoenix Wright and Pokemon on my way to work", and see it as getting the best of both worlds.

If they rely too much on their "home console in your pocket" gimmick and don't provide and agressively market those type of exclusives then history will repeat itself.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
You know what's a gimmick? The ability to play a version of CoD, Killzone or Uncharted on the bus in tiny vision.

Most of the people who are buying the Vita are probably not buying it for that. If they love CoD they'll play it at home. Same with Killzone. There's nothing wrong with Uncharted from everyone I here, people just love hating on it for no real reason other than it's a Sony exclusive.

Most people will probably buy it because it's a PSP successor that's in a competitive price range that already has a decent looking line-up and if it follows the PSP's library, it'll be fantastic. Plus I'll take HD graphics over 3D any day.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Plus I'll take HD graphics over 3D any day.

Will they be able to market it as "HD", bearing in mind the rather arbitrary, big-screen-based numbers the HD bar has been set at?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Will they be able to market it as "HD", bearing in mind the rather arbitrary, big-screen-based numbers the HD bar has been set at?

In terms of handhelds, the Vita does have a pretty nice sized screen. They'll at least market it as "next gen", maybe not "HD" though.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
BlueStar said:
Guild McCommunist said:

There are hundreds of iPad apps that render at a slightly higher resolution than they would on another iDevice and they do label them as HD, even though they aren't "HD", so I don't see why they wouldn't.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
um... i think anything HD is supposed to break a certain resolution threshold (not sure how high, but high enough to warrant a big ass HD monitor?) with pixel-perfect clarity. is the PSV screen resolution beyond that? if it is, then by all means, HD it is. but if it doesn't cross that threshold, i don't see how it should be called HD, as that would mean current HD definition would become super HD or something. :/

EDIT: I looked up HD on wiki, and it's all greek to me, lol. this may all be hogwash, but that's the general idea i got. my opinion stands though: if the PSV's resolution/framerate/bitrate/whatnot passes as an HD device, then HD it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...