Pachter Believes PS Vita Will Rob Nintendo’s Market Share

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dickfour said:
Is anyone here not going to end up with both? I don't own a 3ds yet but I'll buy one and I'll also end up with a vita.

Money unfortunately doesn't grow on trees. To get both of them brand new will cost you at least $500, not counting the price of games (handheld games seem to be sitting at $40/each now). The prices aren't outrageous as the consoles are introducing some new and advanced tech, it's just that for me, it's one or the other, I can't compromise.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
dickfour said:
Is anyone here not going to end up with both? I don't own a 3ds yet but I'll buy one and I'll also end up with a vita.
Quite a few actually.

I want both for a reason. I like RPGs and first party from Nintendo, but I'm also a crazy shooter fan and the vita is the perfect masterpiece for it. I'm eager to save for both (I already have a 3DS - and saving up $500 is quite an easy task for me given up to 6 months... I won't get the vita at launch as that's when games are most expensive. 3DS launched here at $399, but only a month half later it's now $329.)

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since when do we trust pachter's judgment anyway?
Whatever happens happens, predict all you want its in the hands of investors and nintendo/sony themselves ....

I'll admit though for once sony is in a strong position to beat out nintendo

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nintendo have always been very dominant in the handheld market, i highly doubt that will change anytime soon, that is the only reason i chose a 3ds and the fact that i will never give sony my money ever again anyway.

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
dickfour said:

Yup I have a 3DS and Plan on getting Vita as well.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
dickfour said:

Money unfortunately doesn't grow on trees. To get both of them brand new will cost you at least $500, not counting the price of games (handheld games seem to be sitting at $40/each now). The prices aren't outrageous as the consoles are introducing some new and advanced tech, it's just that for me, it's one or the other, I can't compromise.

Am I the only person looking at $500 for two consoles and $40 a game and thinking "Wow that's incredibly cheap. Already got a 3DS and I've plenty of time to save up less than half a weeks minimum wage working to get the Vita when it finally comes out. Especially seeing as I'll be after the one that isn't a mobile phone cause what's the point when you cant use that connection for gaming"

Though I'm already worrying that I've wasted money on the 3DS with the lack of games, I'm really worried that this generation will have 2 handhelds that are only any good when cracked for playing emulated games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I don't know. I've obviously been defending the Vita around every corner and rightly so, but analysts like Patcher enjoy stabbing in the dark and hoping they'll eventually hit something. Because if they somehow say some wild prediction that turns out to be true, whenever he makes another prediction, it'll always be "This guy was the same guy who predicted this, so he's trustworthy!"

I think the Vita will be bringing some serious competition. The PSP did well considering Nintendo's market dominance in handhelds but it wasn't really competition (well, outside of Japan where the thing has been spanking even the 3DS). Still, it launched at significantly more than the DS and it took a while for it to get into a competitive price range. The Vita will be cutting it way to close to comfort for Nintendo and it features what gamers want. No gimmicks, no smoke and mirrors, just simply a successor with natural upgrades instead of using flawed technology to appeal to the latest fad in the world. Nintendo's core fanbase is actually not that large, if you look at the N64 and Gamecube for example. Large enough to keep them afloat but without casual market appeal and competitive pricing, they'll be lagging behind again.

Regardless, I'll be sure to get a Vita and I don't think it'll disappoint.
What are you talking about? You even complain about the touchpad in the back. Mr.No gimmicks, no smoke and mirrors.

Sorry for Nintendo trying actually trying something new.

And where you get the idea that Nintendo doesn't have a large fan base?

Look I didn't mean to sound pushy(?). In all honesty, I enjoy the 3d effect.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I don't know. I've obviously been defending the Vita around every corner and rightly so, but analysts like Patcher enjoy stabbing in the dark and hoping they'll eventually hit something. Because if they somehow say some wild prediction that turns out to be true, whenever he makes another prediction, it'll always be "This guy was the same guy who predicted this, so he's trustworthy!"

I think the Vita will be bringing some serious competition. The PSP did well considering Nintendo's market dominance in handhelds but it wasn't really competition (well, outside of Japan where the thing has been spanking even the 3DS). Still, it launched at significantly more than the DS and it took a while for it to get into a competitive price range. The Vita will be cutting it way to close to comfort for Nintendo and it features what gamers want. No gimmicks, no smoke and mirrors, just simply a successor with natural upgrades instead of using flawed technology to appeal to the latest fad in the world. Nintendo's core fanbase is actually not that large, if you look at the N64 and Gamecube for example. Large enough to keep them afloat but without casual market appeal and competitive pricing, they'll be lagging behind again.

Regardless, I'll be sure to get a Vita and I don't think it'll disappoint.
What are you talking about? You even complain about the touchpad in the back. Mr.No gimmicks, no smoke and mirrors.

-snip-

Really wanted to say something at the beginning there regarding your post habits when it comes to anybody saying something even remotely negative about Nintendo, but I'll be good.

They are just natural upgrades. Seen any smart phones lately? Yeah, the technology that you may claim to be gimmicks are very common place anymore. 3D is still a new technology that hasn't advanced too far, especially not to a point where I feel it should have been implemented in a system yet as a primary selling point. Nintendo's fan base when it comes to their consoles is very dynamic with not a large chunk being die hard Nintendo. The casual gamers were really able to get into the Wii. This helped to boost the sales quite a bit. Whether Nintendo truly expanded their fan base though, no one can say.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:

Look I didn't mean to sound pushy(?). In all honesty, I enjoy the 3d effect.
Sure, that's one gimmick. However, the 3DS has a single gimmick as the WHOLE SELLING POINT of the console itself. The rear touchpad hasn't even been advertised much at all (some of my friends don't even know about it). He's really saying that gimmicks aren't the focus of the PSV.

And, back on topic, I'm gonna get a PSV to go along with my 3DS. At launch, as well, like my 3DS. I love both Sony and Nintendo now, so I don't find a point in arguing in this stuff anymore. Also, in this argument, I think that the Vita will take more of a share in the market then the PSP, but it might not beat the share that Nintendo has made for itself.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony has done a lot right, in making the Vita, so that it is competitive in the handheld market, but in the end, it comes down to the consumer. The Vita, has a strong launch line up and competitive pricing to match the 3DS, so it has a good chance, of taking at least SOME chunk of market share away from Nintendo. On Nintendo's end, it relies on whether, the future lineup of games, will foster more widespread adoption in the future. If not, the ball will be in Sony's court... so to speak.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Sure, that's one gimmick. However, the 3DS has a single gimmick as the WHOLE SELLING POINT of the console itself. The rear touchpad hasn't even been advertised much at all (some of my friends don't even know about it). He's really saying that gimmicks aren't the focus of the PSV.

And, back on topic, I'm gonna get a PSV to go along with my 3DS. At launch, as well, like my 3DS. I love both Sony and Nintendo now, so I don't find a point in arguing in this stuff anymore. Also, in this argument, I think that the Vita will take more of a share in the market then the PSP, but it might not beat the share that Nintendo has made for itself.
But even if you look pass the 3D, the 3DS is still a good handheld and people who like 3D just make it better. I just don't think it deserve some off
the dissing.

3DS ,just like the ds did to touch screen controls, would probably make 3D the norm.

(This is truly what I think without all this fanboy junk.)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Slyakin said:

But even if you look pass the 3D, the 3DS is still a good handheld and people who like 3D just make it better. I just don't think it deserve some off
the dissing.

3DS ,just like the ds did to touch screen controls, would probably make 3D the norm.

(This is truing what I think without all this fanboy junk.)
The problem is, if you look at the 3DS without 3D, it's just a DS with slightly better graphics and an analog. In this sense, the PSV completely wins out, as the "graphics boost" is a hell of a lot more prominent, and it adds so many more things (3G, touch controls, gyro, camera, location services, etc.). Yeah, some dissing isn't fairly based, but most of it can be accepted as a reality.

And, as for 3D becoming normal? Eh... Maybe. The consumers have weird ways of making the strangest things happen.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Meh I'm not necessarily getting a PSV, WiiU or a 3DS until they offer me something I want. Honestly all the "innovative" features given to the PSV and WiiU really don't make me want to buy it. I just look at it and feel like going the opposite way.

I thought the 3D and the Wii Motes were pushing it far enough. And now the PSV is just trying to make a PSP + NDS combo in one...

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Slyakin said:
The problem is, if you look at the 3DS without 3D, it's just a DS with slightly better graphics and an analog. In this sense, the PSV completely wins out, as the "graphics boost" is a hell of a lot more prominent, and it adds so many more things (3G, touch controls, gyro, camera, location services, etc.). Yeah, some dissing isn't fairly based, but most of it can be accepted as a reality.

And, as for 3D becoming normal? Eh... Maybe. The consumers have weird ways of making the strangest things happen.

Wooooooow, if I do look at the 3DS without 3D its a DS... IF I LOOK AT A PSV, WHAT I SEE? Things I find in the 3DS and normal DS.... AFTER ALL the PSV is just a PSP with better graphics, if we follow your logic...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:

3DS doesn't have (touch controls, gyro, camera,spotpass/streetpass,etc)?
QUOTE(MaxNuker @ Jul 3 2011, 05:36 PM) Wooooooow, if I do look at the 3DS without 3D its a DS... IF I LOOK AT A PSV, WHAT I SEE? Things I find in the 3DS and normal DS.... AFTER ALL the PSV is just a PSP with better graphics, if we follow your logic...
Who was that towards to?
unsure.gif

I doubt it,but Nintendo still can do a 3G model.
laugh.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys are idiots you know that right? Selling over 60 million is no easy feat to accomplish. The only thing that helped Nintendo get that far, was the fact that it had 2 screens, Pokemon, and the name "Nintendo" on it.

Sony's PSP was anything but a failure. Sure the games may not be as fun as the DS's, but it still had some games which simply destroyed everything the DS had to offer.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
KingVamp said:
Slyakin said:

the dissing.

(This is truing what I think without all this fanboy junk.)

(and to anybody else who argues PSV's muscle-bound specs will "destroy" the 3DS)
when are people gonna learn that it's not just about the graphics/processing power? who cares if the PSV wins out with "a hell of a lot more prominent" graphics boost? didn't the DS already prove that point against the PSP? muscle ALONE doesn't do jack-squat if nobody wants to buy it.

Nintendo got that point home across to Sony, and Sony wises up by "out-gimmicking" Nintendo. Don't bother arguing, all those nifty new features are "gimmick" retorts by Sony, whether you like it or not. Sure, they'll be utilized, they have tremendous potential, but gimmicks, just as the DS touchscreen was.

Rear touchpanel? Really? As if the front touchscreen wasn't enough, they had to add touch controls to the back too? So how you gonna hold it now, with all your fingers poised on buttons/pseudo-touchpanel buttons? What, it's gonna float on its own? And how about people with fidgety hands? You keep messing up because your fingers were fidgeting over the rear touchpanel. and it looks incredibly... fragile. i dunno. both front and back surfaces would be highly vulnerable to damage, since they now have function instead of it just being the front.

Gyro, camera, pfft. 3DS has em first. But who got em first is pointless, as it all comes down to what they do and don't have in comparison to the other. 3G sounds incredibly exciting too... until you see your bill. but that's just money, which some of you apparently has no problem in throwing around (not speaking in general, mind you).

as to the whole 3D becoming a norm... well, i can't say it will, but i most definitely can't say it WON'T. i'm starting to see more and more 3D capable TVs and monitors at the malls, and Japan already has a whole slew of glassless 3D-capable phones (IIRC, they pre-empted the 3DS from becoming the first gadget with glassless 3D). whether all those devices adopting 3D (even if not glassless) can be called trending or not, i'll leave it to the experts. but i'm definitely seeing more 3D. more 3D films, more 3D cinemas to support them, more home 3D screens for 3D Blu-Rays... you seriously cannot ignore that. sure, they're not norm... yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.