Hacking Overivew/FAQ of how not to corrupt our G6 lites

gust0208

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through many of the posts in this area awaiting the arrival of my G6 lite and thought it would be great to summarize the number of tips that have come out to get the most smooth operation from this great cart (and how to not corrupt data).

1) Plug the cart into the Udisk BEFORE plugging into the USB port
2) Have a stable system with enough power to push via the USB port
3) Don't move the Udisk while copying files
4) Use the "Remove hardware safely" option
5) Don't unplug the Udisk until the blue LED is off.
6) Unplug the entire Udisk/cart and after it is detached from the USB port, then unplug the cart from the Udisk

Anything else I should add to my list before I start copying some sweet homebrew to my cart? Can't wait to try it out, it seems like a great cart system. And thanks to everyone for the all of the helpful posts.

Cheers,
Tom

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
What do you mean by "4) Use the "Remove hardware safely" option", please explain.
I don't have a G6 lite but I believe's the option that pops up when you right-click the device icon on the taskbar tray. You can also right-click on the device in My Computer and select "Eject". I do this before I remove my SD cards from the reader.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Talk about playing it safe.. I think I did the opposite of most of your instructions and didn't have a corrupted card..

In fact, the only time I got a corrupted card was when I used FATSort on it..

Damn G6 for not auto-sorting the roms!

jda1977

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just placed a request to modchipman to cancel my order after reading the corruption post here and at Maxconsole. Might wait till things are more clear (only the test units or something else defined) or get something else.

Shagsta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The U-Disk Burner is picked up in Windows XP as a removable disk drive, right? Here's how a removable disk drive should be used:

1) Plug in the burner WITHOUT the cart attached
2) Once Windows picks up the burner, you may plug in the cart
3) While using the cart (even if you only have an explorer window browsing the files), do not unplug it
4) When you're finished using the cart, you may unplug it without "safely removing" it
5) If you want to remove the burner, you SHOULD "safely remove" it, but in my opinion it doesn't matter

I've been using my G6 Lite like this from day one and have had no problems. It's a lot less hassle than the method that the original poster suggested, and it's useful if you want to keep attaching/reattaching the cart to your computer.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The U-Disk Burner is picked up in Windows XP as a removable disk drive, right? Here's how a removable disk drive should be used:

1) Plug in the burner WITHOUT the cart attached
2) Once Windows picks up the burner, you may plug in the cart
3) While using the cart (even if you only have an explorer window browsing the files), do not unplug it
4) When you're finished using the cart, you may unplug it without "safely removing" it
5) If you want to remove the burner, you SHOULD "safely remove" it, but in my opinion it doesn't matter

I've been using my G6 Lite like this from day one and have had no problems. It's a lot less hassle than the method that the original poster suggested, and it's useful if you want to keep attaching/reattaching the cart to your computer.

This is NOT the best advice.
MANY people (a google search can verify this) have corrupted MP3 players, flash pens, and other flash USB media by removing an attached device without using the remove safely icon. This is a common problem with flash media. This may not happen to everyone; Not all motherboards have the same feature in USB Ports; some boards keep the USB ports powered (keyboard, mouse) even when the computer is turned off (Mine doesn't), even if "Wakeup" features in the BIOS are disabled. (Asus boards are a big culprit), but I don't know if that has anything to do with corruption or not...probably not. But please don't take any chances.

If windows is somehow scanning the drive randomly or who knows, you're loading a PC game that just happens to poll the drives and you remove the flash card from the burner.....

But definitely do **NOT** remove the flash card from the burner with it attached to PC !!!!!

VomitOnLino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(not too good piece of advice)

This is NOT the best advice.
MANY people (a google search can verify this) have corrupted MP3 players, flash pens, and other flash USB media by removing an attached device without using the remove safely icon. This is a common problem with flash media. This may not happen to everyone; Not all motherboards have the same feature in USB Ports; some boards keep the USB ports powered (keyboard, mouse) even when the computer is turned off (Mine doesn't), even if "Wakeup" features in the BIOS are disabled. (Asus boards are a big culprit), but I don't know if that has anything to do with corruption or not...probably not. But please don't take any chances.

If windows is somehow scanning the drive randomly or who knows, you're loading a PC game that just happens to poll the drives and you remove the flash card from the burner.....

But definitely do **NOT** remove the flash card from the burner with it attached to PC !!!!!

Yes. This is right - when I worked part time in my PC shop we got lots and lots of returned USB-Sticks this way, we tried to experiment and took two cheapo ones to the pc pool. My colleague unplugged his without removing it via windows and such.... just after 15 cycles of trying this (we were close to giving up but then...) his stick went bad. While mine was going strong for some more time, until we got fed up with it and went back to work.

Also I think it's safe to say that the same thing goes for removing your g6lite from your NDS - switch off the unit and THEN insert/remove the g6lite.
In all honesty I do now know what some people are thinking.
huh.gif

EDIT: Also I'd like to add that I'm not defending the g6lite, it may be that it corrupts even with all those precautions, but hey let's not take any unecessary risk shall we? At least if it corrupts if you use it this way, you can be sure that it's the hardware that is to blame.

deadlocke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is possible to remove w/o using Safely Remove... but you have to specify it in Windows somewhere... I forgot where
tongue.gif

Yup, you can go into the properties of the device and (usually) under policies you can choose to "Optimize for quick removal".

But, I think it's best just to play it safe and make sure its safely removable.

Shagsta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry guys, I should have added a disclaimer to my little "guide". It works for me, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. Don't blame me if your G6 Lite blows up.
smile.gif

Regardless of the "safely remove" debate, I don't see any reason why the cart must be attached to the burner when it is first plugged in to the computer. Does anyone have a valid explanation for this?

VomitOnLino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry guys, I should have added a disclaimer to my little "guide". It works for me, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. Don't blame me if your G6 Lite blows up.
smile.gif

Regardless of the "safely remove" debate, I don't see any reason why the cart must be attached to the burner when it is first plugged in to the computer. Does anyone have a valid explanation for this?
I do not know if my explanation is exactly valid, but let's call it an idea.

If I do the same with my SD-Card reader it confuses the hell out of my computer, he shows up a drive where is none. If I plug in the media then, it keeps looking for data but cannot find anything - sometimes if I did that (for testing purposes) the data would not show up, even if there was something on the card. No it didn't get corrupted but windows was unable to see it.

Secondly, I do it for the same reason I do not like to switch cards, out of my GBA or NDS while the console is on - this goes for official games or flashcarts. Technically speaking removing the card while operation, or inserting it, can result in some weird data patterns evolving due to failing power or rising power - this is a known syndrome for all processors and chips in the world - they output random writes and reads when the power fails or rises (from zero to the operational voltage). And it's just that I feel that it can't be healthy to do this to your devices, especially if you have the option not to.

I will add the wikipedia article once I can find it again.
smile.gif

TM_Sephiroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through many of the posts in this area awaiting the arrival of my G6 lite and thought it would be great to summarize the number of tips that have come out to get the most smooth operation from this great cart (and how to not corrupt data).

1) Plug the cart into the Udisk BEFORE plugging into the USB port
2) Have a stable system with enough power to push via the USB port
3) Don't move the Udisk while copying files
4) Use the "Remove hardware safely" option
5) Don't unplug the Udisk until the blue LED is off.
6) Unplug the entire Udisk/cart and after it is detached from the USB port, then unplug the cart from the Udisk

Anything else I should add to my list before I start copying some sweet homebrew to my cart? Can't wait to try it out, it seems like a great cart system. And thanks to everyone for the all of the helpful posts.

Cheers,
Tom

Some people here: Poll: Is your G6 lite corrupt or broken? , are saying that it's better to unplug the g6-cart BEFORE unplugging the U-Disk...

So, what should I do...?

XxMxVxPxX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are just stupid and dont realise that nothing is perfect when it launches.
xbox 360 overheating
Psp Square button
ps2 lens would brake
ds lite. cracked hinge
g6 lite curroption problem.
Ez4 lite mem card is jammed
the list goes on and on. you want new technology? your gunna have to pay the price. its not like your screwed either. the store understands. there is no doubt in my mind that ps3 wont have problems. with its new cell processor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ i did know that actually
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much