Original XBox Soft Modding TIP for formatting USB thumb to be an XBox Memory Unit.

MrBerzerk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I FINALLY got my Original XBox soft modded.
20+ years of chats and forum posts, and 'tutorials', that all just said "This works", when it doesn't ever mention the ACTUALL solution for formatting your memory card. So I thought I would post it here, so people don't have to go through the head ache I did.

You need need to format your USB Drive (No larger than 4GB) to Microsoft FATX format using FATXplorer beta version: 3.0.0.24935 OR higher. When you format, it must be a FULL format, not a quick format, and I had to do 4KB clusters. This may vary depending on your thumb drive.

There. After months of hunting for a solution, that is all it was.

Hopefully someone will google "How to format your thumb drive as a XBox memory card" and this post will come up.

Last edited by MrBerzerk,

MrBerzerk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Plug it in, go to the official save manager, and the dash will do it for you :P

Not that it's a bad thing to know about practical alternatives!
My problem was, that didn't work, because it doesn't do a full format. It ends up creating two parallel partition tables on your USB. One seen by your XBox, and the other seen by your PC.
The full format is the key.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need need to format your USB Drive (No larger than 4GB) to Microsoft FATX format using FATXplorer beta version: 3.0.0.24935 OR higher. When you format, it must be a FULL format, not a quick format, and I had to do 4KB clusters. This may vary depending on your thumb drive.
Only certain thumb drives will work. You can't just buy some random USB drive from AliExpress, eBay, etc., and expect it to appear.

http://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:USB_Device_Compatibility_List

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol