Hardware Original 3DS Will Not Charge

GC64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from recent issues I’ve had with my new 2ds xl, I’ve also been having an issue with my original 3ds, hopefully far more simpler.
About 3 years ago, my 3ds just decided to stop charging, the orange light would just not appear. Plugging it in does nothing (yes the charger works), wiggling it does nothing, and I even tried reflowing the solder traces on the charger port. I bought a Nyko Charger dock that uses external traces which touch to the dock, and this charges the battery fine but the dock SUCKS. So I know its not the battery, and I don’t think it is the charge port since I’m getting a solid voltage from it, so something else must be causing the issue. I couldn’t really find the places on the board to check continuity to see if the voltage flowing through the board right.
Anyone have any ideas?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again, lol.

Do you have a multimeter?

Edit Appendage: Take out your battery, let the 3DS self discharge for several minutes. We want to be safe technicians.

Take multimeter and probe these separate points, check for continuity.

hx2z4z5o.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

GC64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again, lol.

Do you have a multimeter?

Edit Appendage: Take out your battery, let the 3DS self discharge for several minutes. We want to be safe technicians.

Take multimeter and probe these separate points, check for continuity.

hx2z4z5o.png
Actually no, I dont.. there’s continuity between the one in red on the right, but not on the one in green on the left.

EDIT: oh my god, I bridged the connections and it is actually charging. all these years and that was it! Thanks so much :)

Last edited by GC64,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually no, I dont.. there’s continuity between the one in red on the right, but not on the one in green on the left.

EDIT: oh my god, I bridged the connections and it is actually charging. all these years and that was it! Thanks so much :)

Good to hear. Not to trying to sell you stuff, but definitely invest in a multimeter. I recommend this sweet baby for any DIYer / hobbists. Makes electronics repair life so much easier!

Etekcity MSR-R500 Digital Multimeters , Electronic Amp Volt Ohm Voltage Meter Multimeter with Diode and Continuity Test Tester, Backlight LCD Display (Red)

(Hold off purchases if you don't have an Amazon prime. You get free shipping for total orders of $35 or more).

GC64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear. Not to trying to sell you stuff, but definitely invest in a multimeter. I recommend this sweet baby for any DIYer / hobbists. Makes electronics repair life so much easier!

Etekcity MSR-R500 Digital Multimeters , Electronic Amp Volt Ohm Voltage Meter Multimeter with Diode and Continuity Test Tester, Backlight LCD Display (Red)

(Hold off purchases if you don't have an Amazon prime. You get free shipping for total orders of $35 or more).
I do have a multimeter, in fact a very high quality one; that is how I checked the continuity. :)
I’m actually really into electrical stuff as a hobby, so it might sound stupid that I couldn’t solve that charger issue myself. I had initially thought the two copper plates on the outside of the charger port were BOTH ground until you pointed it out in the picture XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-