iTech

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
With the exception of the excellent Supercard CF (I live in a country were the word "crappy" must be replaced by the word "excellent" each time it is used in text, by law, just in case someone is criticising our crappy governement), I've never owned a backup device. Sure my XBOX could play homebrew and backups, but I used a non-invasive software mod to pull it off.

I decided to buy the R4 for the stole purpose of not paying backups. With that I mean; paying backups is not gonna take place on my DS.
I Mamely plan to use it for software development and ROM enumeration.

Also, I got tired of the hefty pricetag on the Nintendo DS games (they cause shopkeepers to guard them better) and decided it was time to get some pirates roms and play them, (My Pirates of the Carribean game collection was ruined in a grenade explosion therefore I'm forced to buy them again afterwhich I'm going to play them)

The pricetag is 85 bucks in the country where I live (bùtcreckistan) for an R4 with a 1GB MicroSD preloaded with games (which I will delete since I'm only interrested in legitimate softwarez). Shipping fees are non-existant. (I hope that doesn't mean they guy isn't shipping it)

Before you start applauding my wise decision to choose the R4, know that there was no choice at all.
My country's ebay used to be swarming with backup devices, but half a year ago they suddenly disappeared. Perhaps the seller(s)
got busted on some non-backup-device account, because I don't think such devices are illegal (they can be used to play movies, homebrew, music, etc.) If I had a choice, I would have gone with the cheapest mofo on there. If my Supercard wasn't busted, that would be a passkey. But the shit selfcombusted the minute I opened the box and exposed it to sunlight. If I were to spend a lot of money and there was a choice, I would have gone with whatever had the easiest to use GUI because my kid sister will be playing it a lot. (She'll be playing music and videos, smart-ass! Stolen illegally from the internet.)
She can't read because she suffers from Retarted, and therefore seeing a list with game icons instead of names would be nice. (Super Mario, Samus Aran, Link, Lara Croft, Shigeru Miyamoto, Peter Molyneux, etc. all these great game "icons" in a big list as a jpeg along with their stats will be fun to look at on the DS's double screen setup, much funner than playing pirated games if you ask me!)
Unfortunately I hear that the R4 is one of the worst when it comes down to GUI flashyness and ergonomics.
But atleast it sports good compatibility. The Supercard CF still haunts me to this day:
The games ran at nearly negative fps because they cheaped-out on the memory, saving only worked when a Keltic ritual involving dead pigeons was performed on the card, half of the games simply refused to run, and I actually needed to remove and insert the cartridge 10 times before it would boot with anything more than a blank screen. Though the software features of the card was pretty good. (sms emu!)

I hear the R4 is made out of Kevlar and Titanium Alloy and never suffers from slowdowns, and is 100% compatible with the exception of Download Play-enabled games, so I'm hoping that this time it'll be different.
At the very least, I'll have a new SD Card. (see: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53815)
I ordered it today so I will probably receive it eighter friday or monday (postal workers take a 48-hour nap every 5 days here).
I'll keep y'all posted.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You make it sound like you live in Pakistan or something
tongue.gif

iTech

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
are you a yankee?

I live in some Dutch-speaking country. (forgot which one) But that doesn't mean I'm not an American!
The grafitti-covered skeleton of the yankee tourist I wrapped up in a flag and burned alive while injecting dropplets from the fountain of youth into his veins to extend the agony for years does.
wink.gif

Don't ask me to remember which country though, since this board is kind of shady, and I've got a coochy job down at the graveyard selling counterfeit Valium and chinese Morphine to grieving widows which I might jeopardize by being identified.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc