Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Code:
Hardware Limitations
open_agb_firm using the 3DS's built-in GBA hardware. Unfortunately, this comes with limitations compared to GBA emulators.

This is a list of limitations we can't solve in software or are very hard to work around.

32 MiB (>256 Mbit) games and homebrew.
Games with extra hardware built into the cartridge (except real-time clocks). Patches are required.
Proper save autodetection (can't find save type during gameplay).
32 KiB (>256 Kbit) SRAM (homebrew games/emulators).
Sound has lots of aliasing issues. No known workaround (hardware bug).

This is all working perfect now or still broke?
Those are hardware limitations, as it says they probably won't be fixed

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
New commits on the repo from profi200,

Commits on Aug 6, 2023
Updated libraries/submodules.

@profi200
profi200 committed 2 days ago
Added button remapping. Closes #25.

@profi200
profi200 committed 2 days ago
Commits on Aug 5, 2023
Implemented proper headphone detection.

@profi200
profi200 committed 4 days ago
Updated libs/submodules.

@profi200
profi200 committed 4 days ago

A compiled .firm is available in the actions section.

csandrade87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have N3DS and DS. Can agb replace the DS and flashcart for all games or is compatibility better with the flash?
On the N3DS you're better off using the mGBA or even the Twilight Menu, which is also a great option for the DSi. There is no need to use flashcard with these devices.

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the N3DS you're better off using the mGBA or even the Twilight Menu, which is also a great option for the DSi. There is no need to use flashcard with these devices.
mGBA has compatibility issues. Namely there are notable sound problems with certain games, like Golden Sun. I haven't tested all that extensively but the only game I've ever had 100% performance with was Fire Emblem. Using agm_firm would produce a better quality experience.

Reactions: csandrade87

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
mGBA has compatibility issues. Namely there are notable sound problems with certain games, like Golden Sun. I haven't tested all that extensively but the only game I've ever had 100% performance with was Fire Emblem. Using agm_firm would produce a better quality experience.
I'd phrase those as performance, rather than compatibility issues. But yeah, they're a serious obstacle. It appears even the New 3DS just isn't up to the task of properly emulating a GBA. That's why it's convenient that it and the Old 3DS can run GBA games natively instead. Unless you want to play something that actually requires emulation (for instance, it seems it may not even be possible for OPEN_AGB_FIRM to support gyro controls in WarioWare Twisted), I don't think there's much reason to still use the 3DS port of mGBA for GBA emulation.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

xsdfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Apparently mGBA can still provide a modest speedup on N3DS, and people like having speedup. And there's savestates, too, of course.
i've used mGBA on n3ds, it runs fine on some games but others experience a lot of slowdown, and I believe that most people are willing to sacrifice speedup (very often nonexistent) and savestates for smooth gameplay.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Apparently mGBA can still provide a modest speedup on N3DS, and people like having speedup. And there's savestates, too, of course.
Okay, savestates can indeed be useful, that's true. I imagine speedup wouldn't work in too many games. If mGBA can't even run a game at its original speed, how can it run it even faster?

Doomguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been keeping up with this project in a while. Where can I download the latest build or fork of it? The official Github page hasn't seen a new release in a long time.

ScottRobRubin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can also confirm that mGBA on a N3DS is not an universal solution, I've completed Donkey Kong Country (gba) on it and there was occasional lag in normal levels and constant lag in water levels
It's very likely only good for games that don't do anything advanced (pun not intended) with the gfx

Doomguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly can I make use of the new border feature when everything's scaled 1:1? I can't find anything in the config relevant to it and the readme file doesn't mention it at all outside of acknowledging support for borders being added.

Last edited by Doomguy,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Headphone support was the last major issue I was holding out on, this is some great progress. Seems like VC has been basically surpassed at this point.

Doomguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Doomguy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn