Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
the prestige of even having a hacked system.
It's kinda fun to hack these things but I think "prestige" is taking it a bit far lol, especially if it's just not having icons because that makes it look more hacker-y or whatever. We don't even make the hacks. Can always go back to A9LH or 9.2 Emunand through Menuhax if we want more prestige for following a slightly more convoluted tutorial, I guess.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda fun to hack these things but I think "prestige" is taking it a bit far lol, especially if it's just not having icons because that makes it look more hacker-y or whatever. We don't even make the hacks. Can always go back to A9LH or 9.2 Emunand through Menuhax if we want more prestige for following a slightly more convoluted tutorial, I guess.
That may be the case, but there are a lot of sceners, who feel entitlement. It's caused a lot of people to give up. :(

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i didn't know that. i don't remember reading that about it, so...
That's almost but not quite the first thing it says at https://gbatemp.net/download/open-agb-launcher.36828/ .

So to answer the question:
Are there any downsides of using open agb launcher over the default open agb firm?
If you install fastboot or godmode9 to firm0 in order to use open agb launcher, and then run into problems and try to ask for help, you are likely going to get a forum thread of confused replies.

• Love
Reactions: BETA215

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Per ipatix/gba-hq-mixer/readme.md:
In order to maximize performance for this timing critical step, this mixer code (which is what we'll replace) is copied to IWRAM and runtime. This creates somewhat of a challange to replace the function since you can no longer simply replace a function in ROM and you're good. Free IWRAM space is usually fairly limited in most games (32 KiB total) and it's not always obvious which space is free.
Since the original code also resides in IWRAM you might consider that the new code simply goes into place of the old one. Unfortunately this usually does not work out since my code is generally a bit larger. So you'll have to find additional space for the code. The final size required depends on the configuration, so you should assemble the file like above and check the actual number of bytes required.

There's going to be a lot of legwork going into a Patch Database for this, since each game would have to be investigated by hand (per pret, they forked off a customized version of the ipatix patch for Pokemon Emerald; I'm not seeing an equivalent in the RS or FRLG projects but that could just be small reference pools)

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a bug but I'm wondering if it can be made into a feature:

On my n3ds, I have coded higher screen brightness values in luma - up to 170.
In my config.ini for open_agb_firm I have the default brightness set to 170 as well even though github says the max value is 142. When I start up a game, I can use X+DOWN (which normally lowers the brightness) to raise it to what I imagine is the 170 mark, making it brighter than normal. If I try to lower the brightness any further, it goes back to its original values and can't hit that high mark again until its rebooted. Any chance of programming in the higher brightness values permanently?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a bug but I'm wondering if it can be made into a feature:

On my n3ds, I have coded higher screen brightness values in luma - up to 170.
In my config.ini for open_agb_firm I have the default brightness set to 170 as well even though github says the max value is 142. When I start up a game, I can use X+DOWN (which normally lowers the brightness) to raise it to what I imagine is the 170 mark, making it brighter than normal. If I try to lower the brightness any further, it goes back to its original values and can't hit that high mark again until its rebooted. Any chance of programming in the higher brightness values permanently?
I can't guarantee this will work, but I changed the default brightness to 170. test and report back:

Attachments

• open_agb_firm.7z
    181.5 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: peteruk

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't guarantee this will work, but I changed the default brightness to 170. test and report back:
I think it did work. The difference is minimal but enough that it makes me want to go back to the higher setting after changing. I did the best test that I could with the normal max brightness, the bugged max brightness I found, and your edits max brightness. Although the increments are back to 5 instead of my config.ini values so that makes it hard to determine if the bug is still there. Does the config file get read at all in your edit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203_162344_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230203_162344_Photos.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: godreborn

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Support for multiple patches has been added, along with the ability to adjust display setting while running a game. Adjusting the display while running seems to cause graphical issues until oaf is restarted, so use at your own risk. A pull request will be opened if/when the graphical issues are fixed, but for now it can be downloaded from here

trinsdar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is rtc supported yet? I can't seem to get pokemon emerald to sync the clock to the proper time, it always gets screwed up every launch

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it did work. The difference is minimal but enough that it makes me want to go back to the higher setting after changing. I did the best test that I could with the normal max brightness, the bugged max brightness I found, and your edits max brightness. Although the increments are back to 5 instead of my config.ini values so that makes it hard to determine if the bug is still there. Does the config file get read at all in your edit?
I couldn't say. all I did was change the default brightness level in the source code. I guess it's possible that its value is beyond the scope of what you can have.

trinsdar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update on rtc: it seems to work with a pokemon hack called unbound, but Emerald and Emerald enhanced(another hack) don't work properly, maybe it's cause unbound uses the date too?
Guess i just gotta wait for that issue to get fixed
Edit: just checked, it seems to basically jump ahead 10 hours and 10 minutes after the first reset, after that though rtc seems to work? Going to have to test this

Last edited by trinsdar,

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Support for multiple patches has been added, along with the ability to adjust display setting while running a game. Adjusting the display while running seems to cause graphical issues until oaf is restarted, so use at your own risk. A pull request will be opened if/when the graphical issues are fixed, but for now it can be downloaded from here
can I use that to swap while in-game between '[video] scaler=0' '[video] scaler=2'? I tried and I couldn't

Doomguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been following this project in some time. The last build I downloaded had a convenient feature of changing the brightness with a button combo. Have any other QOL features been implemented since?

Nintendoswitchmodfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to all for making this possible, a dream come true really! I was wondering, is there a Game Boy Color version of this? It would be legendary to have this option as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ