• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

On this day 78 years ago, the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, ending the war

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had to believe its been almost 80 years since this occurred. In war however regardless of which side you're on, there are no victors, only innocent lives.

Hawkeye here, he has nailed it even if it was merely an actor.

Reactions: AncientBoi

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Had to believe its been almost 80 years since this occurred. In war however regardless of which side you're on, there are no victors, only innocent lives.
That's not true as history has shown over and over. The thing about war is in the past if you were on the losing side you were either enslaved or killed if you were a man. The women were usually raped and turned into sex slaves or killed and all your stuff was stolen. I guess there's a lot on here that need to read some history books. However when I see youtube/tiktok videos of the youth in the west, especially USA, it's very clear that education standards have slipped a huge amount. Instead of teaching useful subjects kids are being dumbed down and taught gender studies, critical race theory and being taught to be percieved perpetual victims when they are not.

Most modern wars are started by the greed of some rich people that want to become ever richer by stealing from others usually by exploiting a countries natural resources or owning much of a countries infracstructure or they just want to control others for their own benefit, then the innocent are forced to fight to defend themselves from this. Generally these people that start the wars are never on the battlefield doing any of the fighting and generally profit from the deaths of othes and only the innocent amongst us suffer. These people that start wars are the worst of all humans and are responsible for the death and suffering of billions of people - these people are usually corrupt politicians and looking at the state of todays politicians (especially in the western world) it's just a matter of time until a new war takes us all out for good.

Last edited by mrdude,
Reactions: _47iscool

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
JP was having trouble eating while the US was making movies. The art of deception was always profitable, if you don't get pinned for it.

Daily reminder that USA was aware of the Pearl Harbor bombing beforehead but let it happen anyway so they could have an excuse to join World War 2.

That's why 9/11 happened imo.

Instead of teaching useful subjects kids are being dumbed down and taught gender studies, critical race theory and being taught to be percieved perpetual victims when they are not.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited by tabzer,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes it takes a lot of oil to invade, occupy, and set up puppet governments throughout all of Asia.

I think he is referring to how they targeted the US in attempt to fight their power to impose sanctions.

In the end, the US and China got their puppet states.

Under Japanese, I wouldn't think that their'd be any pretense of independence.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: _47iscool

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he is referring to why they targeted the US in attempt to fight their power to impose sanctions.

In the end, the US and China got their puppet states.

Under Japanese, I wouldn't think that their'd be any pretense of independence.

Their targets in SE Asia were primarily US and British. Pearl Harbor gets all the attention but they launched surprise attacks in the following days against the Phillipines, Guam, Midway, Wake Island, and Hong Kong. Not just one boom, it was boom boom boom boom boom. But I was just making the point that the Japanese were being "starved for oil" because they had already been at work creating their "empire" for some time before Pearl Harbor, and the oil embargo was the West's lame attempt at deterrence/suppression of that effort. Without that context the post above makes it sound like the Japanese were being deprived of oil for no reason but spite.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Their targets in SE Asia were primarily US and British. Pearl Harbor gets all the attention but they launched surprise attacks in the following days against the Phillipines, Guam, Midway, Wake Island, and Hong Kong. Not just one boom, it was boom boom boom boom boom. But I was just making the point that the Japanese were being "starved for oil" because they had already been at work creating their "empire" for some time before Pearl Harbor, and the oil embargo was the West's lame attempt at deterrence/suppression of that effort. Without that context the post above makes it sound like the Japanese were being deprived of oil for no reason but spite.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Japan was very imperialistic, but a large part that drove that were the promises of self governance without the reliance on trade. America clearly had the upper hand, and played Japan (as well as its own citizens) into gaining the most out of the war.

teamlocust

Trophies
XP
Country
India
This is an atrocity that has caused thousands of innocent lives to perish under the flash of light. Even though the perpetrators were the victors, this act should be condemned and we should strive to never have those acts of mass destruction ever again.
what about the nanking massacre, other atrocities by japanese soldiers?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would feel a lot worse for Japan if they had not you know just attacked peal harbor without being at war... Crying about civilians? Japan killed soooo many it wasn't even funny. War is hell but starting a war who wants that? Greedy power hungry despots... Germany with Hitler and Japan with Hirohito...

Yeah the bombs on Japan sucked but it saved a lot of lives in the long run on both sides. Better two cities than the whole country. After having to literally burn them out of caves, shell them with battle ships for weeks, bomb them from the air and finally send in soldiers to get the invaders out of some of the islands Japan invaded. Everyone already knew that invading Japan to stop the war they started was going to cost many lives on both sides.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's so easy to be judgmental, higher-than-thou and virtue-signaling so long after the fact. Everyone did what they thought was best at the time given the circumstances, and that's it.

Blaming our ancestors for everything is very trendy these days in the West, but we should also be thankful for everything they gave us instead of constantly pointing out their mistakes.

Life is cruel and we don't live in a cartoon where every single life can be saved.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I would feel a lot worse for Japan if they had not you know just attacked peal harbor without being at war... Crying about civilians? Japan killed soooo many it wasn't even funny. War is hell but starting a war who wants that? Greedy power hungry despots... Germany with Hitler and Japan with Hirohito...

Yeah the bombs on Japan sucked but it saved a lot of lives in the long run on both sides. Better two cities than the whole country. After having to literally burn them out of caves, shell them with battle ships for weeks, bomb them from the air and finally send in soldiers to get the invaders out of some of the islands Japan invaded. Everyone already knew that invading Japan to stop the war they started was going to cost many lives on both sides.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
You aren't paying attention. The bombs were not an act of humanitarianism...an invasion wasn't even necessary. Japan knew it had lost before the bombs. America played war because America knew it would win.

I don't see how "they killed civilians" is a rationalization for the warranted death of (more) civilians. Civilians being the cost of imperialism is bad, regardless of who does it.

It's not like America took the high moral road. They took the strategic one, and that was also at the cost of their own citizens true interests and informed consent.

Your sympathy or empathy will not rescue the dead. It's a moot point.

Last edited by tabzer,

chrisk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The fact is Japan is trying to reinstate their army again. It's almost like they've forgotten that they got nuked. They don't remember they were not the victims. Many Japanese thinks that were the victims of the war. Japanese textbook is written as such. But everyone else knows Japanese were the aggressor.

Japanese civilians still supports the government that lost the war, got them killed, manipulates textbooks, and etc to this day.

No I don't feel bad for them. How the Japanese acts and Germans act regarding the war should let everyone know why Japanese don't deserve it.

I'm not saying every Japanese is a bad person. In fact, I have many Japanese friends. But if you choose your leadership poorly, you get to bare the responsibility. Plain and Simple.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the same guys who where willing to fly a plane into a battle ship in a kamakaze attack out of desperation because they already knew they had lost, the ones who quite literally fought to the last man in many battles before. Where going to give up peacefully. That is the picture your painting.

I don't think an invasion would have been required, but at the same time I don't think Japan would have said "OK my bad, lets stop fighting pretty please?" without a LOT of persuasion.

Something to think about a little bit is the war was much more than 2 cities, before that point in time something like 67 cities where turned into rubble and ash in Japan. I guess 69 was the magic number for them to surrender. The war was over for a long time before the nukes. No surrender at that time. The actions of the leadership in Japan at that time spoke louder than any hindsight we could ever hope to voice.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yes the same guys who where willing to fly a plane into a battle ship in a kamakaze attack out of desperation because they already knew they had lost, the ones who quite literally fought to the last man in many battles before. Where going to give up peacefully. That is the picture your painting.

I don't think an invasion would have been required, but at the same time I don't think Japan would have said "OK my bad, lets stop fighting pretty please?" without a LOT of persuasion.

Something to think about a little bit is the war was much more than 2 cities, before that point in time something like 67 cities where turned into rubble and ash in Japan. I guess 69 was the magic number for them to surrender. The war was over for a long time before the nukes. No surrender at that time. The actions of the leadership in Japan at that time spoke louder than any hindsight we could ever hope to voice.
It's a lot more nuanced than that. Some of it is outright mischaracterizing. Do some light reading:

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/08/09/atomic-bombings-were-needless-ww-iis-top-us-brass/

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a lot more nuanced than that. Some of it is outright mischaracterizing. Do some light reading:

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/08/09/atomic-bombi

https://consortiumnews.com/2023/08/09/atomic-bombings-were-needless-ww-iis-top-us-brass/

ngs-were-needless-ww-iis-top-us-brass/

Yeah that was an interesting article, it seems reading over that article that for 14 months.... Over a year the US had been bombing Japan.... Really I can see why there was difficulty in thinking a surrender was forthcoming. Plus trying to go through Russian channels? By that time in the war Russia and the US where already on bad terms over Germany... War is hell, remember when your crying over dead mom's and children, reserve some tears for the families of the soldiers sent off to die in a war that wasn't initiated by them, on both sides. Training doesn't make a human less of a human. They had families that loved them.

Reactions: tabzer

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yet most people are unaware of the Holodomor and its communistic horrors.
People generally love ignoring, denying or defending all crimes caused by communism with Stalin alone killing more people than Hitler and with other communist dictators making both Stalin and Hitler look like minions in comparison. Also Stalin started the concentration camps before Hitler and even during "Covid pandemic" we had concentration camps at places like Australia.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People generally love ignoring, denying or defending all crimes caused by communism with Stalin alone killing more people than Hitler and with other communist dictators making both Stalin and Hitler look like minions in comparison. Also Stalin started the concentration camps before Hitler and even during "Covid pandemic" we had concentration camps at places like Australia.

Even the US had internment camps during the war, I am sure we treated our prisoners way better than the concentration camps, but at the same time I am also sure they where not fun places to be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...