• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

On this day 78 years ago, the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, ending the war

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People generally love ignoring, denying or defending all crimes caused by communism
communism is a theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.

If you mean that the west joined up with Russia and China during WW2 & that is as embarrassing as being friends with Jeffrey Epstein, then sure.

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
communism is a theory or system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.
That's a funny way to say "genocide by commies".

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure we treated our prisoners way better than the concentration camps, but at the same time I am also sure they where not fun places to be.
As in, Americans didn't kill them?

Also Stalin started the concentration camps before Hitler and even during "Covid pandemic" we had concentration camps at places like Australia
Ok so the fact that somehow you think they're even remotely comparable is disgusting and shows your absolute inadequacy at understanding these matters.

And FYI, the ones who started concentration camps were the brits. Somehow you all are giving a free pass to colonialism, which is very interesting to watch.

People generally love ignoring, denying or defending all crimes caused by communism with Stalin alone killing more people than Hitler and with other communist dictators making both Stalin and Hitler look like minions in comparison.
This is completely false, as you well know. Jumping at Stalin and references to his atrocities are done whenever required and more often than not even referenced inappropriately.

There is literally no one that will make look Hitler like a minion. The far right detonated two world wars, whose impact goes beyond simply playing numbers with the dead like you lot do.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, to get back on topic. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but leaflets were dropped in all potential japanese cities the bombs could have been dropped, and well in advance. They didn't give a lot of details, but basically said "if you live in these cities, we're going to bomb them and you will die if you don't leave. So please, please leave. There may be other cities bombed, but these most definitely will, since there are major war-related installations placed in residential dense areas. You have been warned"

But they were mostly ignored, because the japanese government was pushing the narrative, to their citizens, the nation could not lose the war. An invasion would have been incredibly bloody, so of the options available it was...the lesser evil? arguably, who knows what other options were ignored at the time.

But as Jimmy Carter said: "War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children."

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How is it obviously wrong when it simply doesn't acknowledge points in history the prior article does? Mass ethnic prison slavery and genocide is probably as old as time time, so I don't get the point of figuring out which "race" or "culture" coined the term unless you are trying to blame a culture or race of people.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it obviously wrong when it simply doesn't acknowledge points in history the prior article does? Mass ethnic prison slavery and genocide is probably as old as time time, so I don't get the point of figuring out which "race" or "culture" coined the term unless you are trying to blame a culture or race of people.
The article you posted is obviously wrong.
what is the distinction between "concentration camps", "internment camps", "death camps", "labor camps", "detention camps"? a lot of camps.

I feel a lot of this conversation could be helped through distinction. Is there a distinction needed between old world and modern world? if there's the use of torture? if there's the use of modern weapons? if everyone is murdered? if any are murdered? if there's non-combatants? if there's children? if it's comprised of foreign or domestic people?

I honestly don't know much about the differences. I honestly only know about Jewish concentration camps, the US internment camps (ww2 and current), and...bajoran labor camps. anyone help me out with the distinctions?

Last edited by osaka35,

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what is the distinction between "concentration camps", "internment camps", "death camps", "labor camps", "detention camps"? a lot of camps.

I feel a lot of this conversation could be helped through distinction. Is there a distinction needed between old world and modern world? if there's the use of torture? if there's the use of modern weapons? if everyone is murdered? if any are murdered? if there's non-combatants? if there's children? if it's comprised of foreign or domestic people?

I honestly don't know much about the differences. I honestly only know about Jewish internment camps, the US internment camps (ww2 and current), and...bajoran labor camps. anyone help me out with the distinctions?
Not every distinction is useful however. I suppose one would be "did they kill them in gas chambers", but how different it is if they didn't use gas chambers but simply let them die of starvation and fatigue?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not every distinction is useful however. I suppose one would be "did they kill them in gas chambers", but how different it is if they didn't use gas chambers but simply let them die of starvation and fatigue?
Wasn't that what what the Nazis had chose between after they chose to finance their war efforts over feeding their imprisoned? Distinction matters in contextual understanding, but for matters of depriving one's agency, I agree.

As for the context you posited, the degree of humane treatment is notable.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Originally it was initially planned that not Project Manhattan/Atomic Bomb wouldn’t end up history of World War 2 Era in nutshell,but Philadelphia Experiment/USS Eldridge.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My wife’s grandmother was actually a nurse who helped take care of the victims of the Hiroshima nuke. She’s an interesting person and deeply loves Westerns. Unfortunately, she has been suffering the effects of radiation exposure. Still interesting to actually talk to someone who is able to give first hand accounts of the results of the bombing

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Originally it was initially planned that not Project Manhattan/Atomic Bomb wouldn’t end up history of World War 2 Era in nutshell,but Philadelphia Experiment/USS Eldridge.
But rather according to the book written by Preston B. Nichols and Peter Moon.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife’s grandmother was actually a nurse who helped take care of the victims of the Hiroshima nuke. She’s an interesting person and deeply loves Westerns. Unfortunately, she has been suffering the effects of radiation exposure. Still interesting to actually talk to someone who is able to give first hand accounts of the results of the bombing
That's fascinating. What a harrowing experience that must've been. I'm sorry about the radiation poisoning--that must be difficult.

There's a book simply called "BOMB" that describes the race to build the bomb from an American intelligence perspective, following the accounts of Robert Oppenheimer, Klaus Fuchs, and many others integral to the bomb's development. I really can't recommend it enough--it's one of my favorite historical books ever.
The Oppenheimer movie is also great, but it's more flashy than insightful and I personally feel like the book paints a much better picture overall.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's fascinating. What a harrowing experience that must've been. I'm sorry about the radiation poisoning--that must be difficult.
Unfortunately, I didn’t meet her until very recently, so I only know her from her current state. My wife has a lot of stories about her, everything from her stories about her love for the Wild West to teaching my wife Japanese. She’s still rather present but her English is starting to fail and she’s gone back to her deep Japanese accent. She’s still very intelligent woman though and quite impressive how far she’s been going despite the effects of radiation.

Last edited by The Catboy,
  • Sad
Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...